Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Center Display Unavailable" message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess where I am heading Tuesday? Random 3-6x per day center screen reboots, then your message, expect warranty Tegra card, if lucky they will put in MCU2, these guys in Columbus super nice:

View attachment 590021
ZThBLm8BZtGkwFNF7

Took it for service yesterday and came home to find HomeLink unable to open garage though it was a saved setting. Same for software update, WiFi connnected but updater still telling me I need to connect.

Scheduled new service, but the mavericks at Tesla got into my car and deleted and reinstalled some firmware, then downloaded software over LTE while I was driving kid to school, back home I could reprogam HomeLink and car updated. No more glitches for a while I hope.

I got this message last night (9/26/2020) on my 2012 Signature Model S. I can't get an appointment at the local SC for 3-1/2 weeks (10/23/2020).

I just emailed the SC and told them I don't want to get stranded driving the car and asked if they could squeeze me in earlier.

IMG_2051.jpeg

From my local SC: "It will require to have the MCU replaced. If you would like the upgrade, we can request the part(s) (2 weeks out). Please let us know if you would like to authorize the upgrade and we will request it today."

and:

"We recommend to not drive it or limit the amount of driving, you will have limited if not all features missing after powering on the Model S."

Took it for service yesterday and came home to find HomeLink unable to open garage though it was a saved setting. Same for software update, WiFi connnected but updater still telling me I need to connect.

Scheduled new service, but the mavericks at Tesla got into my car and deleted and reinstalled some firmware, then downloaded software over LTE while I was driving kid to school, back home I could reprogam HomeLink and car updated. No more glitches for a while I hope.

The random MCU reboots just restarted today. I pressed and held the Car icon in left lower corner for 10s, allegedly this logs the issue and opened an MCU Reboot note in My Notes, will record all as Tesla SC claimed everything was A-OK:mad:

Hi everyone. Just purchased a 2012 Model S back in April 2020 with (at the time) had 40k miles (now at 45k miles). In that time, I've had the rear drive unit replaced once for the 'whirring' sound (under warranty). A few weeks ago I had to get a second drive unit replacement for another reason. At the same time I went ahead and had them replace my MCU Tegra daughter board (64gb) in advanced response to the whole eMMC issue that causes the MCU to fail. Yesterday when getting in the car to go to work, upon startup, the center cluster display showed the 'center display unavailable' message. I tried rebooting both the center and MCU screen a few times. The MCU came up but the message was still there. After getting to work I tried rebooting again with no luck. 12 hours later when leaving work, the message was gone. Anyone already replaced/ugraded their daughter board and experience this issue? Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone. Just purchased a 2012 Model S back in April 2020 with (at the time) had 40k miles (now at 45k miles). In that time, I've had the rear drive unit replaced once for the 'whirring' sound (under warranty). A few weeks ago I had to get a second drive unit replacement for another reason. At the same time I went ahead and had them replace my MCU Tegra daughter board (64gb) in advanced response to the whole eMMC issue that causes the MCU to fail. Yesterday when getting in the car to go to work, upon startup, the center cluster display showed the 'center display unavailable' message. I tried rebooting both the center and MCU screen a few times. The MCU came up but the message was still there. After getting to work I tried rebooting again with no luck. 12 hours later when leaving work, the message was gone. Anyone already replaced/ugraded their daughter board and experience this issue? Thanks in advance.
Did you reboot the IC as well as the MCU? I saw this problem happen a couple of times a few weeks ago on my 2015 MS, then after a software update it stopped happening. Rebooting both IC and MCU fixed it each time, though it took way longer than normal (10 minutes). I have a new emmc chip in that car.

If by IC you mean the center cluster display, yep, I did that too and it did not work (although as previously mentioned, the MCU did come up successfully). I called my local SC earlier and they say that they've never seen it before (they always say they're not familiar with my issues) and scheduled an appointment for a couple of weeks from now. Note. I just went out and checked my car and the message isn't there (after charging). Per the SC, just continue driving the car and make note of if/when the message comes back. So when you state "Rebooting both IC and MCU fixed it each time..." are you saying that you have (or continue to) experience this issue?

E56D4F55-817E-4BC2-816E-32460491ED78.jpeg
Thanks. First world problems, certainly, but annoying nonetheless.

Looks like that has just happened. Car still quite drivable though.
Got an email last month saying the mcu memory failure problem is now warranted out to 8 years.
Especially as my centre screen just went blank. :( Unable to fix with scroll wheel reboot. Here’s the email. (Screenshot posted).
Guess it will just wait till January since I live remotely from the nearest service centre.

Cheers
Derek

View attachment 616798

Looks like that has just happened. Car still quite drivable though.
Got an email last month saying the mcu memory failure problem is now warranted out to 8 years.
Especially as my centre screen just went blank. :( Unable to fix with scroll wheel reboot. Here’s the email. (Screenshot posted).
Guess it will just wait till January since I live remotely from the nearest service centre.

Cheers
Derek

No message on the screen or cluster like this one? You must have an older firmware version. Before going for a long drive double check that you can charge okay, your signals work, and hopefully your a/c works in the midst of your hot season.

The good news is that your email actually has the correct units for your country, and states 8 years or 160,000 km. My email gave a unit of 100,000 miles. What is a mile? o_O

My eMMC was replaced under recall last month. Now I have "Center Display unavailable".

The car disappeared off the smartphone app on Saturday. Error message in app read as if to say Tesla servers were down for maintenance. Checked in the car on Monday and found center display black. Reboot lit the center display which seems to work but instrument display still says it can not talk to the center. App seems to be working now. Also "Park Assist unavailable" has been added.

Appointment has been made with the SC. But they don't seem to read their messages until a day or two before the appointment, June 29.

My eMMC was replaced under recall last month. Now I have "Center Display unavailable".

The car disappeared off the smartphone app on Saturday. Error message in app read as if to say Tesla servers were down for maintenance. Checked in the car on Monday and found center display black. Reboot lit the center display which seems to work but instrument display still says it can not talk to the center. App seems to be working now. Also "Park Assist unavailable" has been added.

Appointment has been made with the SC. But they don't seem to read their messages until a day or two before the appointment, June 29.

That sucks. Mine has worked great since the repair about a year ago. When it failed, though, it caused cascading system failures and I almost didn't make it to the Tesla dealership while driving there. It was nice to get the refund check though.

I drove the car with black MMU before rebooting the two computers which got the MMU mostly working. They reset the firmware download this morning which restored full function to the car.

TMC brain trust-

Tried searching the forum for "center display unavailable" message, no luck.

Recently, the little "voice command" button above the right scroll wheel on my steering wheel stopped working completely. I'm pretty sure it is a software issue and not a problem with the button because I can press both the "voice command" button on the right and the "forward skip" button above the left scroll wheel together and force a screen reboot.

Anyway, when I pressed the "voice command" button, absolutely nothing would happen. So I did a reboot holding both scroll wheels in and the system seemingly went through the normal reboot process as it has for the past 7 years. However, this time, the large center screen didn't reboot. It just stays black. No Tesla logo on the screen, nothing. Then I get the "center display unavailable" message below the speedometer. I have tried a few reboots and have left the car shut down for a few hours but nothing seems to be fixing it.

Any ideas on how I can recover this center screen?

Thanks!
I just had the same problem I put the the car into camp mode using the voice command to stop it turning off while I was in the car. The car seems to has had a meltdown and the centre console has the same message WTF?

Yesterday my 2013 Model S P85+ gave me the message "Center Display unavailable. Driving and user settings could not be restored." I'm not able to drive the car. My VCU was replaced last Aug to upgrade eMMC. I have mobile appointment scheduled for next week....

IMG_6872.JPG

Just went and tried the car again and the center display activated. :rolleyes:
Yes. Sadly that is how they fail. Works, doesn’t work. Works again…. Am stumped how it can partially fail, intermittently.

When they finally replaced mine it appeared to me to be working correctly the past few days but when the SC diagnostic tool was connected they couldn’t read any of my settings. Lost everything but total miles on vehicle.