Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Center Display Unavailable" message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Sadly that is how they fail. Works, doesn’t work. Works again…. Am stumped how it can partially fail, intermittently.

When they finally replaced mine it appeared to me to be working correctly the past few days but when the SC diagnostic tool was connected they couldn’t read any of my settings. Lost everything but total miles on vehicle.
We're seeing this on our car. The emmc was replaced last spring under warrantee and we got the LTE upgrade in the fall. What I'm seeing is the Central Display Unavailable error message, but after rebooting, the center display and everything else such as AP seem to be working fine. However, the error message is still there.
Are you saying that the MCU itself is failing?

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
We're seeing this on our car. The emmc was replaced last spring under warrantee and we got the LTE upgrade in the fall. What I'm seeing is the Central Display Unavailable error message, but after rebooting, the center display and everything else such as AP seem to be working fine. However, the error message is still there.
Are you saying that the MCU itself is failing?
I don’t know other than they replaced mine and it works now. It was problematic since the first time it was replaced due to liquid coming out of the LCD. But it got worse.

had the recall done on my car (2015 p85dl) and now get this message. Entering the car takes 5 or more minutes before it will even let me drive. Starts with hold brake for 30 servings messages then just wait and wait for it to eventually boot up and let me drive - and the center display error never goes away. Brought car back to service and they said software issue and it will be fixed “eventually”. Also can’t use the app to access the car.

I get software issues happen but since I have seen almost no discussion of this except for this thread- not sure I believe Tesla. Breaking basic functionality (starting the car) seems like something Tesla would fix ASAP. No easy way to reach Tesla so impossible to get good follow up support.

Hard to rely on a car that takes 5 or more minutes to use.

Last edited:
had the recall done on my car (2015 p85dl) and now get this message. Entering the car takes 5 or more minutes before it will even let me drive. Starts with hold brake for 30 servings messages then just wait and wait for it to eventually boot up and let me drive - and the center display error never goes away. Brought car back to service and they said software issue and it will be fixed “eventually”. Also can’t use the app to access the car.

I get software issues happen but since I have seen almost no discussion of this except for this thread- not sure I believe Tesla. Breaking basic functionality (starting the car) seems like something Tesla would fix ASAP. No easy way to reach Tesla so impossible to get good follow up support.

Hard to rely on a car that takes 5 or more minutes to use.
Use the app to schedule repair of the repair. That seems to be the only reliable means of contact.

Is a hardware problem, not software.

My car is at tesla for a second time for the display unavailable error message within a week (and waiting 10 minutes before I could put the car in drive). I am about 4 weeks out from when the mmc recall work was done - at which time when we picked up the car had error messages about settings loss but was told that was "normal" for the recall.

Last week, when we saw the error we went to Tesla and they said if it happens again bring it back. Now it is back at Tesla but the upper-ups won't let them replace any hardware and they say it is a software issue and to wait it out.

Do you have any service notes I can share with them to hopefully convince them to fix it? I told them I won't take my car back (I have a loaner right now) until they give me back a car without the issue or give me a written guarantee when the "software" issue will rectify it. I am at an impasse.

If it was a software issue everyone would have the problem. Hardware issues start after hardware is changed.

At some point all you can do is bring it in every time until the start swapping parts.

When error appeared on dash my Tesla app knew and would copy into a service request. If that works for your situation then use it to document the problem. Someone at Tesla can silently look in to your car remotely but they will not unless you complain.

I agree.

I probably will start another thread to warn people about doing any recalls or firmware updates on older hardware.

I was told the recall was my choice, and upgrading my firmware is also my choice; so the issues are my "fault" as my car is "old".

Tesla said the car is totally functional even if it takes 12 minutes to be drivable. Tesla is supposedly working on a software update.

I am completely floored right now.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
2013 P85 with eMMC and LTE upgrades more than six months ago. Left the car parked for 20 days (plugged in). Now I see a “Center Display Unavailable” message, but the Center Display does boot up and operate. Most functions work, but it did take several minutes for the car to start and HomeLink is no longer programmed.

I can’t tell if previous posters saw the center display boot up and work… or just black screen.

Suggestions / advice, please!

I didn't get a chance to try this since my screen came back on several days later on its own, but the Tesla Service Center suggested performing a hard reboot by holding the brake pedal completely down along with pressing both scroll-wheel buttons on the steering wheel simultaneously. Continue to hold all three down for at least 90 seconds, up to 3 minutes until the Tesla logo appears on the screen.

If I get the error message again I'll try this procedure, but luckily it's been working fine since it came back on. 🤞

Reactions: bareyb
From talking to service this problem has been around for months. I did not getting much confidence that they actually will fix it as I believe they just expect us all to pay for the new mcu. They keep arguing the system gets slower over time versus owning up to the fact that they screwed up. And if they really believe a 6-7 year old car with 70k miles is beyond its lifecycle then they need to be transparent with all new buyers and not sell any used cars more than a couple years old.

I keep demanding a clear status and timeframe for a fix, after which if not fixed they need to replace the mcu (or whatever will fix the issue) at their cost. It is unconscionable that they blame the customer for a side effect they introduced in performing the recall (I had no issues until the day I picked up the car after the recall).

I am giving it a few days to see if Tesla steps up or I am filing a complaint with the nhtsa (we all should do it). I don’t think the intent of a recall is for the car to be returned dysfunctional and 5-10 minutes to use a car (now has happened twice in under 5 starts) in my opinion is a possible safety issue. Combined with the app not working randomly since this started and it appearing that the walk away locks setting appears to reset to off - who knows what else is being impacted. While Tesla tries to assure me the car is completely safe with all the errors glaring on the screen, it clearly is more than just a “slow” boot.

From talking to service this problem has been around for months. I did not getting much confidence that they actually will fix it as I believe they just expect us all to pay for the new mcu. They keep arguing the system gets slower over time versus owning up to the fact that they screwed up. And if they really believe a 6-7 year old car with 70k miles is beyond its lifecycle then they need to be transparent with all new buyers and not sell any used cars more than a couple years old.

I keep demanding a clear status and timeframe for a fix, after which if not fixed they need to replace the mcu (or whatever will fix the issue) at their cost. It is unconscionable that they blame the customer for a side effect they introduced in performing the recall (I had no issues until the day I picked up the car after the recall).

I am giving it a few days to see if Tesla steps up or I am filing a complaint with the nhtsa (we all should do it). I don’t think the intent of a recall is for the car to be returned dysfunctional and 5-10 minutes to use a car (now has happened twice in under 5 starts) in my opinion is a possible safety issue. Combined with the app not working randomly since this started and it appearing that the walk away locks setting appears to reset to off - who knows what else is being impacted. While Tesla tries to assure me the car is completely safe with all the errors glaring on the screen, it clearly is more than just a “slow” boot.
Point me in the direction so I can file a complaint as well thank you

I called the NHTSA phone number and filed a complaint - especially since Tesla admits it is due to performing the recall and said it was because of my "choice" to have the recall performed. Couldn't use the on-line forms as my VIN didn't work on the on-line form.

They asked if I ever called Tesla directly - got a good chuckle on this as there is no way I know of to reach them.

Reactions: N4HHE
2013 S85, same "Center display unavailable" issue, car is fully functional and center display is working fine after rebooting, but the error message won't go away until several hours later or overnight. This happens every week now. I am on version 2021.24.28

Count me in the Club. Exact same issue. Had both LTE and eMMC upgrades done and after leaving my car at the Body Shop for a month, I'm getting the Center Display not available message. Everything works fine.

So does this mean I will need to buy the MCU2 upgrade to fix it?

VIN 34XX here. I had the same issue after the eMMC and LTE upgrades. However, I got the v11 software upgrade last week (dithered, held my breath and installed it) and it has not happened since (this doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed but it's definitively no worse). It never installed the 2021 maps update (it tried for a week and now the update has vanished), but I didn't notice any other issues. If you're adventurous, it may be worth a try.

VIN 34XX here. I had the same issue after the eMMC and LTE upgrades. However, I got the v11 software upgrade last week (dithered, held my breath and installed it) and it has not happened since (this doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed but it's definitively no worse). It never installed the 2021 maps update (it tried for a week and now the update has vanished), but I didn't notice any other issues. If you're adventurous, it may be worth a try.

Quick update: Twenty days after installing v11, I have not had a single problem with the center display. However, since the nav update has not completed yet (different issue, either bad software, a bad SD card, or a bad MCU), I can't be sure that the car is using the same (deep) sleep modes as before. But, fingers crossed, it does drive and function fine.

I just got this display this morning. My car was delivered in January 2015, I had the LTE upgrade and they had to replace the entire MCU at that time, but that was a long time ago - about 2016. I am pretty sure that I have had the eMMC upgrade as well.

My car took a while to boot up this morning and the center display was dead for a while. I rebooted it via the scroll wheels and it came back and appears to be working fine, but the message has not gone away.

For the last few months I am getting the bubble issue on the dashboard display and apparently to fix that they need to replace the MCU. So maybe I need to bite the bullet and pay for a new MCU.

Has anyone seen the message go away on its own?

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
I just got this display this morning. My car was delivered in January 2015, I had the LTE upgrade and they had to replace the entire MCU at that time, but that was a long time ago - about 2016. I am pretty sure that I have had the eMMC upgrade as well.

My car took a while to boot up this morning and the center display was dead for a while. I rebooted it via the scroll wheels and it came back and appears to be working fine, but the message has not gone away.

For the last few months I am getting the bubble issue on the dashboard display and apparently to fix that they need to replace the MCU. So maybe I need to bite the bullet and pay for a new MCU.

Has anyone seen the message go away on its own?
What does the app say about the health of the eMMC? Go to service and the eMMC recall status button should appear