Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center of gravity/mass comparison with other cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone come across any information about the Model 3 or S and their center of gravity/mass numbers compared to other sedans and sports cars?

I am looking for CG/CM height from ground.

Something that would give us dimensions in the drawing below.

iu

Don’t have the details, but the cog should be close to the middle and maybe even below the axles. Of course it will vary with AWD can RWD as well as battery.
There’s a lot of weight in the battery and it is below the passenger car compartment

Don’t have the details, but the cog should be close to the middle and maybe even below the axles. Of course it will vary with AWD can RWD as well as battery.
There’s a lot of weight in the battery and it is below the passenger car compartment
Thanks for the reply. I have yet to find a good accurate pictorial that conveys what I am looking for.

If the the CM is below the axle, the dynamics of weight distribution change, during braking the weight/load would transfer to the rear wheels instead of front, and during a turn the inner front wheel would be the most loaded.

Thanks for the reply. I have yet to find a good accurate pictorial that conveys what I am looking for.

If the the CM is below the axle, the dynamics of weight distribution change, during braking the weight/load would transfer to the rear wheels instead of front, and during a turn the inner front wheel would be the most loaded.

I don't think so. Loads are ultimately reacted at the road surface.

If the center of mass were somehow below that you'd be correct (but the physics to make that happen are improbable.)

As it is, getting closer to the road surface will reduce the transfer, but nothing will eliminate or reverse it.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Interesting that Porsche made mention that their new, all electric Taycan, has a lower center of gravity than even their 911.

Tesla was the first to market with the skateboard configuration. The heavy battery is located amid-ship and as low as possible. One electric motor mounted low in the back and a second optional motor mounted low in the front. All others are now copying that design.

Interesting that Porsche made mention that their new, all electric Taycan, has a lower center of gravity than even their 911.

Tesla was the first to market with the skateboard configuration. The heavy battery is located amid-ship and as low as possible. One electric motor mounted low in the back and a second optional motor mounted low in the front. All others are now copying that design.

More Tesla First Principles engineering at work. It's the obvious way to make an EV from the ground up. :)

I haven't seen the car nose dive when braking. I feel that it just "hunkers down"

I believe the specs give the weight distribution between the front and rear wheels and it is, IIRC, very close to 50/50. Just the other day I saw a YouTube video in which a couple of guys pulled a trailer. Before hooking it up they took the car to a weigh station which reported the weight was exactly (to the resolution of the scales) equal between front and rear. Thus the CG is half way between the two wheel sets. To determine its height is a bit more difficult. You can do it from the total front wheel and total rear wheel weights but the vehicle has to be on an angle. It's going to be low, of course, because of the battery location.

Has anyone come across any information about the Model 3 or S and their center of gravity/mass numbers compared to other sedans and sports cars?

I am looking for CG/CM height from ground.

Something that would give us dimensions in the drawing below.

iu
Hey spacemnspiff were you ever able to track down any accurate numbers? I'm interested to know how the model S model 3 and model y compare...

It’s fairly easy to find out. Simply tip your wife’s car on its side, and use your Jack to attempt to lift it. Keep moving the Jack point around until the car lifts equally front to back and top to bottom; that’s the CG in the plane you’re interested in. Then tip the car back onto its wheels, and pretend you don’t know how all the dents got in the side of the car.