TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Center Screen Night Mode in daytime

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rogbmw, May 3, 2013.

1. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

Can the center screen be switched to the dark Night Mode so it stays on during the daytimg? I tried changing the settings to night, but it is automatically switching back to the bright daylight screen. I have the black interior, and think it would look better and be easier on the eyes.

2. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I totally agree. I believe it defaults back to Auto mode when you turn the car off. Maybe they could change that!

3. Neech

Neech Member

Slightly OT but I was wondering if it is normal for it to take 20+ minutes for the screen to switch between night and day mode?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mine switches quickly -second or two. The only bug I've seen is that the Nav screen doesn't switch back to day unless you go to some other screen and back. Did you try rebooting the screen? that fixes a lot of problems like that.

5. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Wow yours takes 20? It shouldnt take more than 18. Tops.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Definitely talk to service and/or ownership about this. It's not normal.

7. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

OK, being serious, its not how it should behave. Now depending on what parts you are talking about, it may be how it normally behaves (though it needs to be fixed).

For example, I park in an underground garage. So each time I start the car when in the garage, it's dark, so the whole screen starts in night mode. I have the map as my bottom half app. Accordingly, it has the night version of the maps. I keep the map zoomed out quite a bit (with traffic on) so I can see if there are any traffic issues in the area.

Even when I hit outside, its still shows the night versions of the map. Only when I start to approach areas outside of the originally displayed map area will it start to load the "day" version of the map panels. Then, it slowly replaces the night panels with day panels. The rest of the screen has gone to day mode as it should. Just the maps themselves lag. And if it takes me 10 minutes to drive out of the original displayed area, then it'll take 10 min to "go into day mode" for the maps. One way to override this is to zoom in a level or 2, then zoom back out. THen it triggers a forced repainting of the maps in the appropriate day or night mode.

So, while this is how the maps behave normally, it isn't how they should and its been discussed as something that eventually needs to be addressed.

8. Neech

Neech Member

Thanks for the tip - I will try it out today. I should have specified that the NAV screen takes 20+ minutes to change between night/day. The other half usually changes right away. The NAV screen changes one vertical line at a time, so it moves VERY slowly. Driving home last night while it was in the too-bright day mode was oddly uncomfortable .

9. 777dgt

777dgt Member

Just put some tape over the sensor that "sees" day/night differences. James

10. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

YOu might just try toggling the NAV app off the screen and back on. Not sure if that'll re-trigger a loading of the panels (will need to try it today). but it might be another easy way to do it until its fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea, but wouldnt that also impact the operation of the headlights if in auto mode?

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

After reading jomo's post...

Point of clarification: Do you mean it takes the vehicle 20 minutes to decide it's time to switch, or that the actual switch takes 20 minutes once begun?