TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Center screen not completely level. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Jeffruby, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Member

Car is great. My big screen is perfect on all edges except the top. I may be nitpicking, but the top left corner is a touch off (can see a mm of black before top dash).

Of note my dash above screen has a bit of a bounce to it (tiny)

See pic zy7araha.jpg ybepypu3.jpg

2. shady

shady Member

I took a look at mine, and there is no difference between the top left gap and top right. Yours does seem a little twisted!

3. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

Mine is like yours. I think it may very from car to car a little, but it's likely due to the change of dash elevation as it slopes right against the verticalness of the screen. I think it's perfectly normal. My SC took mine off to address a rattle and when they reaffixed the dash, it remounted exactly the same way. I too have a little more play in one area over the other, but this could easily be explained by the positioning of mounting clips.

4. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Member

Ironically its perfect on the bottom and the sides. Either top left of dash not down enough, or the top right down to much. Like I said the dash above screen has a touch of movement to it.

5. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Mine is also like yours (VIN 5539).

It seems to be fairly common.

6. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

I JUST had this addressed this week. They removed the dash and straightened it. It is not perfect but it is DRAMATICALLY better. Before it was always catching my eye. Now I don't notice it unless I really focus. I had my car in for something else and had them fix it. I wouldn't bring it in just for that. Good luck in getting it straightened. I know it drove me crazy! From my service paperwork:

Concern: Client reports that "dash is not "straight" across the top of the screen. On the right side, the screen is flush with the dash. On the left side, there is a gap between where the screen ends and the dash begins. I can push it down so it's flat, but it doesn't stay."
    Corrections: Assembly - Top Pad - Instrument Panel (Remove and Replace)
    Removed and re-installed dash pad, made adjustments so that the dash pad is straight.

7. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

Just to follow-up...I don't have a before picture but I can assure you it looked exactly like yours. The right side was too low and the left side was too high. Spacing looked identical. Here is a pic of my fixed dash after the service center addressed it this week. As you can see...MUCH better! If anything now the left side is a little too low...but now it doesn't bother me compared to how it was before.

image.jpeg

8. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Member

Wow, you now have a larger black area of the screen showing in the top. Between the screen and the dash in the top

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Agreed, not too fond of that black gap.

10. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

Taking a close-up picture from that angle amplifies the black. It looks totally normal in person. Especially since your head is typically higher than where the camera was so looking down the black is obscured. I posted a picture at the bottom of this post from a more "normal" angle. You can see the black is not noticeable.

So this is interesting...I decided to do a google image search and I'll be darned. The "crooked" dash is everywhere! And as you'll see from the OP's pictures and this random sampling from google, there is a large black gap on the left, and the dash goes into the screen on the right. Now I'm really happy with my adjusted dash!!!

Random sampling of crooked dashes from google:
    http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2012-tesla-model-s_100396746_l.jpg
    http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2012-tesla-model-s_100396757_l.jpg
    http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q2/461960/2013-tesla-model-s-infotainment-display-photo-462082-s-1280x782.jpg
    http://geniusapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/tesla_screen-1.jpg
    http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Tesla-1.jpg

photo (6).JPG

11. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

It's nothing more than the trim piece above the screen being a little higher on one side. Suspect that all Tesla did was put some double-stick tape under the portion of the dash/trim that was higher up. Anyone who has the uneven screen can simply apply a little pressure to the dash section above and see how it impacts the appearance.

12. JPP

JPP Active Member

I have the uneven top edge (gap larger at top left)--bottom is level. And, yes, if I push down on the dash at the left of the screen it does displace down a bit. I can live with it.

13. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Same here. Bugged me at first, but now I don't notice it, although I probably will after reading this thread.

14. russman

russman Member

Mine is off like the OPs. I feel wrong asking for it to be adjusted. I'll see if it keeps bothering me. If I have something else to go in for, I'll ask.

15. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Mine's off a bit too. I'd probably never had noticed it were it not for this thread and it doesn't bother me in the least.

16. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Member

Hahah. Like many Tesla owners. Ocd

17. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

My car has this gap too, and it has bugged me since I got the car. I always assumed it was the screen that needed a software tweak to make it fit better. Now that I'm looking at it again, the dash makes more sense, and made me notice my car even has a bend/crease in the horizontal piece of silver trim near the top left of the screen.

The last two pictures in your links show this bend in the trim too. And possibly the first picture. Like they tried to push the dash down, and it bent.

18. JPP

JPP Active Member

FWIW, I also have the 'crease' in the trim at the top left of the screen.