Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Stack Touchscreen Speculation -- Adjustable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Some people don't like the center stack touchscreen appearing kind of just tacked on, and there's been speculation as to whether or not the final version will be more integrated into the dash. Not sure if this has been speculated on elsewhere, but it occurred to me recently that there is a potential advantage to having the "tacked on" center stack screen. They could make it adjustable, much like a steering wheel has tilt and telescope. Even more fun, what if you could turn it too, having it either in landscape or portrait, kind of like a smartphone? This might be worth the tacked on non-integrated appearance.

Possible? Sounds like a good candidate for "more cowbell" to me. But this idea could also just be the next folding and swiveling 2nd row X seat too, so who knows.

This has been covered before.....it will be the same as the Model X screen at its initial reveal (also floating) and then final version post reveal just like the Model S (integrated into the dash). There are photos of both side by side floating around as well.... i.e. Before (Pre-Reveal-Floating/Post Reveal-Integrated) which we will see in Elons much anticipated Second M3 reveal later this year.

Ski

This has been covered before.....it will be the same as the Model X screen at its initial reveal (also floating) and then final version post reveal just like the Model S (integrated into the dash). There are photos of both side by side floating around as well.... i.e. Before (Pre-Reveal-Floating/Post Reveal-Integrated) which we will see in Elons much anticipated Second M3 reveal later this year.

Ski
Interesting. Never heard of this and even the sketches had it floating. Glad it will be integrated.

I think it will look closer to this (except with a steering wheel)

PnNimg1.jpg

for anyone that has a car built in the last 50+ years (since 1968), go out and look in the passenger compartment and find a sharp protruding corner. there aren't any because the NHTSA doesn't allow them. (having starting my first dozen years of driving in a 1967 while my friends hand cars not older than them ;), I feel I have some first hand knowledge of what changed in vehicles between 67 and after)

"FMVSS 201 ...no sharp or pointed parts can be placed in the vehicle interior that an occupant can come in contact with during a frontal crash"
The display will be wrapped into the dash without corners protruding that you could be impaled on or poke your eye out with.

for anyone that has a car built in the last 50+ years (since 1968), go out and look in the passenger compartment and find a sharp protruding corner. there aren't any because the NHTSA doesn't allow them. (having starting my first dozen years of driving in a 1967 while my friends hand cars not older than them ;), I feel I have some first hand knowledge of what changed in vehicles between 67 and after)

"FMVSS 201 ...no sharp or pointed parts can be placed in the vehicle interior that an occupant can come in contact with during a frontal crash"
The display will be wrapped into the dash without corners protruding that you could be impaled on or poke your eye out with.
Just learned something new today :)

Reactions: melindav
While I agree that it is at least somewhat likely (possibly very likely) the screen will be integrated into the dash, the crux of the point was there is value in the concept of a control screen that can be moved around. It is something that has never been done before (as far as I know) and I'm sure some folks would love it. It's about customization, something people love about so many other features on the S and X and other feature rich cars. There may be valid reasons why this won't happen, but conceptually at least, a customizable controls position and orientation would have appeal.

No, I disgree. The floating design has been the design concept from day one, and it will in the final car.

Previous Model S and Model X have instrument panels, resulting in a thick enough dash to allow screen integration.
Model 3 has a low flat dash without the instrument panel, so floating design is the only way to go for a big screen. Actually, most car manufacturers are going with floating design for screens as they get bigger bigger to avoid a thick and high dash.

As the other user has pointed out, it should be very easy to round out the corner without dash integration.

As for adjustable or rotatable screen, I would say no for the ease of design (both hardware and software UI) and manufacturing.

it will be the same as the Model X screen at its initial reveal (also floating) and then final version post reveal just like the Model S (integrated into the dash). There are photos of both side by side floating around as well.... i.e. Before (Pre-Reveal-Floating/Post Reveal-Integrated) which we will see in Elons much anticipated Second M3 reveal later this year.

No, I disgree. The floating design has been the design concept from day one, and it will in the final car.

Previous Model S and Model X have instrument panels, resulting in a thick enough dash to allow screen integration.
Model 3 has a low flat dash without the instrument panel, so floating design is the only way to go for a big screen. Actually, most car manufacturers are going with floating design for screens as they get bigger bigger to avoid a thick and high dash.

As the other user has pointed out, it should be very easy to round out the corner without dash integration.

As for adjustable or rotatable screen, I would say no for the ease of design (both hardware and software UI) and manufacturing.
You must have missed the Model S and X prototypes then.

Looks pretty sparse to me

Not sure if you got my point or not.

The final model X dash looks like this:

2016-tesla-model-x-interior.jpg

The screen integration is done by extending the instrument panel "hump" to the right to include the center screen.
And also note that the center screen is about as high as you can get for a panel integrated screen.

For Model 3, there is NO instrument panel "hump" in the first place, so basically an integrated landscape center screen would look like an awkward, enormous and thick center lump.
And Model 3 screen also needs to be higher positioned, so I don't think you can get away from the floating design.

The Model 3 vent has also be specially designed for the low flat panel, so that a higher positioned vent is not necessary.
Everything points to a final floating screen design - just like the prototype.

CR-Cars-II-2018-Tesla-Model-3-dark-int-4-16.jpg