TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Center storage, cup holders and floor mats

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Daniel Scherer, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Daniel Scherer

Daniel Scherer Junior Member

#1 Daniel Scherer, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

Attached Files:

2. ddruz

ddruz Member

Your pictures are gigantic. But your center console looks neat. How did you fabricate it?

3. Daniel Scherer

It was an off the shelf product at my local super center. I took a lot of measurements and started cutting and working it to get it to slip in and under the monitor. I then bought a carbon fiber sheet and replaced the plastic storage compartment lid. I'm 6'6" tall and the arm rest cup holders did not work for me. It just slips in there with no fasteners. My wife thought I started cutting on the car and she about had a heart attack.

4. bob_p

bob_p Member

Can you provide a manufacturer and part number for the console?

5. Daniel Scherer

Consoles

Model 542
    The carbon fiber board - DPL06_1212
    DragonPlate.com

6. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

Is this the same one on Amazon.com? TSI Products 54211 Clutter Catcher Black OEM Look Minivan Console : Amazon.com : Automotive

- - - Updated - - -

Can you describe what you had to cut & trim to make this work? Was it something that any bozo like me can do or did it take some skill? At 6.75 inches wide it looks like it would be too wide but you clearly got it to fit no problem. I'm assuming the trimming was mostly related to the front of the unit to get it under the screen & cubby.

7. RDoc

RDoc S85D

That's very impressive, great job! Hopefully by the time the X is available Tesla will have gotten this fixed.

8. Daniel Scherer

It was very easy to disassemble and work with as it is all plastic. Basic tools and a jigsaw. That Amazon link is the correct one in black.

9. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

I see jigs and templates in your future, and a new stay at home business.. :)

10. bob_p

bob_p Member

#10 bob_p, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    Found the same console at the local Walmart.

Been cutting pieces off to try to get it to fit.

Biggest remaining problem is the height.

To get it to fit - do you have to cut out the bottom of the large storage compartment?

This was a pretty inexpensive console - so I may end up buying a second one - after using the first as a prototype.

Would be helpful to have a little more explanation of what was done to get it to fit well.

I have a silver with gray interior - and the black & gray console actually doesn't look to bad - if I can get it to fit...

11. Daniel Scherer

#11 Daniel Scherer, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
    Hopefully this picture helps.

image.jpg

12. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

Mods: I wonder if this thread should be moved to Interior & Exterior?

13. bob_p

bob_p Member

I was able to get the console cut down to the point where it fitted (even though it was being held together temporarily with duct tape).

Then after looking at it further - decided to take it out for now. While I think cutting this console and getting it to fit can provide two better cupholders, a place to hold the cell phone while charging and storage area the fits under the shelf - it didn't feel right in the clean interior of my P85...

So for now, I'm going to try running without the console. I found an inexpensive black storage bag to hold my loose items - which looks better in the tray - but doesn't provide any improvement over the built-in cupholders.

14. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

I'd point out that a console could be attached via industrial velcro to the existing carpet, OR the carpet strip does come out on its own velcro material attachment, if that lower profile helps.