Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Touchscreen: Blank Screen of Death

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a spray-down at my local car wash bay last night, I was driving home when the center screen locked up. The music was still playing, but nothing would respond to touch. I rebooted with the old double-scrollwheel-hold but the screen never lit up again after going dark. No Tesla logo or anything.

The instrument cluster wasn't affected, even though I accidentally rebooted that before the touchscreen.

All touchscreen-managed functions are non-accessible, including AC, seat-heating, rear-window defrosting, etc.. I couldn't even turn on the vent fan or open the sunroof using the steering wheel controls. The car still drove fine so I wasn't panicking. It's actually serene with a dark screen and only the motor/road noise (plus the milling noise that I have going).

After I got home and plugged the car in, I noticed that the current draw was at 12A, so it wasn't recognizing my normal 11A setting. I had limited functional access via the smartphone app, so while I could monitor charging, I couldn't flash the lights, lock/unlock the car, vent the roof, etc.. Even the trunk button (the one you use to set the hatch opening height) wasn't back-lit, although it functioned.

Called Tesla support and they had me run through the screen reboot while holding the brake pedal down, but this didn't help. They pulled the logs for the Service Center for review. Haven't gotten a response back from anyone yet.

This morning I noticed that when I get into the driver's seat and hit the brake pedal, the "Systems are powering on" message appears and I have to wait 30 seconds until pressing the brake actually allows me to put the car in drive. No improvement otherwise. I was hoping some charging would electrically kick the car awake.

Other things I noticed today while the touchscreen is non-operational: the side mirrors don't fold in, nor tilt downwards when in reverse, nor are parking sensor feedback and Autosteer available (TACC works and the data from sensors are still shown in the instrument cluster). At least I can still manually open the windows.

Also tried Supercharging today to see if that'll jiggle anything (grasping for straws here). No change. In the evening for a brief moment there was a noise that sounded like a microscopic slice of music looping as if the touchscreen system was trying to claw itself out of a grave by replaying the last bit of sound it was sending to the speakers the night before. It stopped after getting out of the car.

So that's my interesting experience so far.

Reference: S85, mid-09/2014 build (one of the first with Autopilot hardware before dual motor was announced), roughly 25k on the odometer.

Does anyone know whether the hard-reset (pulling a fuse for half a minute, if I recall) is something that should only be done by the trained folks at the Service Center?

Ugh, sounds like a failure to me... they seem to change out the center computer and screen together. Sorry to hear but thanks for the details, I have thought about this scenario a lot since the whole bubbles on touchscreen thing.

It's only a matter of time and volume until someone starts refurbishing these modules (along with handles and probably eventually DU's -- yikes 25k and milling I am detecting a pattern) and hopefully improving them. So far I'm not happy about parts pricing and packaging I've seen from Tesla. They seem to really want everyone to just keep extending the warranty.

I've had it stick like that (never all night). What I've done is (because I don't know what actually fixes it):

1. Hold the scroll wheels down for some time. (I've found pressing the brake pedal doesn't help)

2. If I don't see, the "T" after a few minutes, get out of the car (not plugged in) and walk away until it locks.

3. Get back in the car and press the brake pedal.

4. If I get the powering up popup, I press the pedal and try a scroll wheel reboot. (the powering up popup never goes away by itself)

5. At some point the T comes up and the system works normally.

This started happening in a late v6 build and has continued through v7. What I think is happening is that the boot up sequence has a race condition where it sometimes gets out of order, and you have to get it to sleep enough so that it resets back to the initial start point rather than continue from where it left off.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I haven't had my screen go down. But I did have a problem with rebooting once. I can't even remember what it was now. Service told me to keep my foot on the brake, especially if the car is plugged in. Apparently the car can go to sleep while rebooting (?). Also, they said to definitely pull any USB sticks out prior to rebooting. I haven't had a problem since.

I haven't had my screen go down. But I did have a problem with rebooting once. I can't even remember what it was now. Service told me to keep my foot on the brake, especially if the car is plugged in. Apparently the car can go to sleep while rebooting (?). Also, they said to definitely pull any USB sticks out prior to rebooting. I haven't had a problem since.

I tried the foot on the brake thing for over five minutes. Didn't do anything.

Does anyone know whether the hard-reset (pulling a fuse for half a minute, if I recall) is something that should only be done by the trained folks at the Service Center?

There have definitely been other threads where service center personnel were talking people through the fuse-pull remotely, so it is not something that only the service center can handle.

That being said, I'd certainly suggest talking to your SC about it first, but I expect with their assistance, you should be able to give that a shot.

It took some pinging with the service center to schedule an appointment (they weren't always immediately responsive on callbacks or emails), but I finally took my car in yesterday. They couldn't get the screen to turn on either, so the 'ol pull-the-fuse hat trick wouldn't apply here. The entire screen ("MCU / Media Control Unit") got replaced. I also got a firmware update in the process to 7.0 (2.7.77). Replacing the touchscreen didn't lose any of my system settings (driver profiles, etc.) although I had to re-pair my Bluetooth connection for my phone.

Since the screen was being replaced, the service center mentioned that I could get the LTE upgrade for $425 so I ended up getting it at a discount. It's also nice to have accurate time on the screen clock again. When I dropped the car off at the service center, the time was off by -40 minutes.

While I was at there, I forgot to ask them how much replacing the MCU would've cost if I was out of warranty. A scary thought considering the number of miles I'm rapidly putting on the car.

Slight correction on my earlier reference - I'm actually at 29k miles on the car now, which is a lot more than what I thought it was.

Since the screen was being replaced, the service center mentioned that I could get the LTE upgrade for $425 so I ended up getting it at a discount ... I forgot to ask them how much replacing the MCU would've cost if I was out of warranty
Good to hear you're back up and running and thanks for the add'l info.

I think someone has posted the MCU replacement cost is $2500. As for the LTE upgrade I am thinking hmm... isn't the cellular board part of the MCU ? So it might have already been there on the replacement part... or not, we may never know now and I probably shouldn't have mentioned it :)

After a spray-down at my local car wash bay last night, I was driving home when the center screen locked up. The music was still playing, but nothing would respond to touch. I rebooted with the old double-scrollwheel-hold but the screen never lit up again after going dark. No Tesla logo or anything.

The instrument cluster wasn't affected, even though I accidentally rebooted that before the touchscreen.

All touchscreen-managed functions are non-accessible, including AC, seat-heating, rear-window defrosting, etc.. I couldn't even turn on the vent fan or open the sunroof using the steering wheel controls. The car still drove fine so I wasn't panicking. It's actually serene with a dark screen and only the motor/road noise (plus the milling noise that I have going).

After I got home and plugged the car in, I noticed that the current draw was at 12A, so it wasn't recognizing my normal 11A setting. I had limited functional access via the smartphone app, so while I could monitor charging, I couldn't flash the lights, lock/unlock the car, vent the roof, etc.. Even the trunk button (the one you use to set the hatch opening height) wasn't back-lit, although it functioned.

Called Tesla support and they had me run through the screen reboot while holding the brake pedal down, but this didn't help. They pulled the logs for the Service Center for review. Haven't gotten a response back from anyone yet.

This morning I noticed that when I get into the driver's seat and hit the brake pedal, the "Systems are powering on" message appears and I have to wait 30 seconds until pressing the brake actually allows me to put the car in drive. No improvement otherwise. I was hoping some charging would electrically kick the car awake.

Other things I noticed today while the touchscreen is non-operational: the side mirrors don't fold in, nor tilt downwards when in reverse, nor are parking sensor feedback and Autosteer available (TACC works and the data from sensors are still shown in the instrument cluster). At least I can still manually open the windows.

Also tried Supercharging today to see if that'll jiggle anything (grasping for straws here). No change. In the evening for a brief moment there was a noise that sounded like a microscopic slice of music looping as if the touchscreen system was trying to claw itself out of a grave by replaying the last bit of sound it was sending to the speakers the night before. It stopped after getting out of the car.

So that's my interesting experience so far.

Reference: S85, mid-09/2014 build (one of the first with Autopilot hardware before dual motor was announced), roughly 25k on the odometer.

Well, this is bizarre. The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I was driving down the road and the warning "Cruise control not available" indicator came on. I did hard reset (left & right thumb wheels), the screen went black and never came back.

I have almost the same symptoms: The car will run, but says "Powering systems on" for maybe 30 seconds before letting switch into drive. My mirrors do fold in. The biggest issue is that it won't charge above 2 amps. So the car is effectively unusable.

I called Tesla, and they ran me through the process of pulling the screen fuse. That didn't accomplish anything. They're now looking to pull the logs, but I haven't gotten anything back yet.

And finally, I'm one of the first P85Ds off of the line, so my screen would be the exact same vintage as yours.

Score another one for the gremlins - a day after I got my car back, the driver's side rear handle won't present anymore, although it seems unrelated to the MCU issue. The rear passenger side handle was replaced a while back. I hope this isn't a domino effect. I'll likely not address this issue for a while since I'm waiting for community assurance about a final, known-good drive unit revision which resolves the milling sound problem.

In 11 degree Fahrenheit weather, I pre-warmed my 85D. Drove out of my driveway and the streaming radio stopped working. After a reboot attempt, the touchscreen went dark. No nav, no heat, no radio. Went 150 miles to a supercharger and arrived with 11 miles remaining from a full charge. Charge should have lasted more than 150 of the estimated 262 miles. Tesla support couldn't help fix it remotely. Tesla reported the car as offline. Fully charged, I drove another 70 miles to next supercharger. Arrived with 90 miles remaining. Battery draining too fast, I had Tesla roadside get me a rental car and had my car towed for service. When I arrived at the rental place, there was a burning smell in the 85D. This just happened on Saturday, no news on what went wrong or when I'll get my car back. Tesla roadside was fantastic, but I would have preferred to not find out this way.

Ok. The reason can't same thing happened to me. Since I took delivery of my MX in February (2017), the autopresenting door feature does not work. I have the PUPs. I can double click on the top of key fob once the driver door opens and second time the passenger door opens. The door won't present itself and yes I did have the correct settings.

Anyhow, I did the factory reset thinking that it will erase all the previous key fob profiles so I can start fresh. The screen went blank and never go back on again. I called Tesla and they have no clue on how to fix it except for wasting my time by asking me to step on the brake and hold down the scrolled buttons on the steering wheel for several minutes.

My car now won't charge, the mirrors won't fold, no radio, no A/C, unable to lock the doors or the back trunk. I have to manually close them. The car will lock and is driveable. I don't have back up camera and anything on the center screen. I think that I got myself a lemon. This is so frustrating paying for top of the line MX and getting nothing but crap. The build ( perforated seats), wind noise, trims/moldings all are horrible.

I've been to SC twice already. This will be my third. Nothing is being fixed except that I am getting more problems in return. Am I the only one here who feel this way?

I had same problem with no 3G and computer screen acting up. I have been soft rebooting for the past couple of weeks. It seemed to work fine and then it would not reboot today, although air conditioning is running (and would not turn off). I did take my Model S in for service two week ago, when the problem first started to occur. Tesla told me that I need to replace computer for $2,700, which I thought was ridiculous. Now I guess I have to pay $2,700 to replace computer. Anyone having same problem?

I had same problem with no 3G and computer screen acting up. I have been soft rebooting for the past couple of weeks. It seemed to work fine and then it would not reboot today, although air conditioning is running (and would not turn off). I did take my Model S in for service two week ago, when the problem first started to occur. Tesla told me that I need to replace computer for $2,700, which I thought was ridiculous. Now I guess I have to pay $2,700 to replace computer. Anyone having same problem?
I just had this happen to me (same problem as the OP). Just found out the MCU/Screen needs to be replaced and it's backordered at the moment. $2700, same quote you got....UGH!

2013 (Oct) P85. My MCU locked up on me last week... while driving, the navigation map wasn't updating. I tried the scroll button reset and the screen went dark and never came back. Called Tesla and they had me try the reset also. Ended up back home and my Air Conditioning wouldn't shut off, also couldn't charge the car. Spent an hour on the phone with Tesla, multiple tries to reset, no luck. AC ran most of the night, but at one point stopped in the middle of the night - can't turn it back on, can't access anything anymore, even thumbwheels can't access stuff like open sunroof, turn on AC, etc. App can't access the car.

Took it into the Service Center (no Tesla loaners available, using a Hertz rental - they never have loaners available any more) and they notified me they have backordered a MCU for me. Just rolled over 50k miles last month.

I have had various problems with screens freezing, both the instrument cluster and the center screen. Both have been replaced in the past.

Interesting note - Tesla mentioned over the phone to disconnect any USB devices, as they can cause an issue at boot-up, if any of my music has corrupt files.

Very disappointed with Tesla quality lately.