TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Center touchscreen possessed? Switching apps by itself?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Monsoon, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Monsoon

Monsoon Member

For a few days now, at completely random intervals, the center touch screen starts randomly switching between apps, then flashing back to what it was, then to some other app, then to the car's status... very unnerving. It has gone on for several minutes. Then after a few minutes, the demon is gone... for a while. Tried rebooting the screen (twice), but that didn't solve it; even tried cleaning it.

Anyone else see anything similar?

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

That's a new one on me, Monsoon. Sorry I can't help.

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

My guess is that something's making the capacitive screen think it's getting touches when it's not. Sounds like you might have a defective screen.

4. Qualchan

Qualchan Member

On one of these forums an owner did report that his screen was doing a similar freak out. He found a pressure point where the 17 " screen meets its bezel was causing the problem. Just what Todd Burch suggested above. Does it happen when the car's stationary?

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I recall reading that thread and wondering what "pressure" would have to do with it. Aren't the screens capacitive?

6. Qualchan

Qualchan Member

Hmmm. The metallic (conductive) bezel might present a capacitive difference? Maybe you're right and it's a loose/poorly seated connector or defective screen instead? I don't recall that other owner reporting a definitive fix. Call Tesla Service, Monsoon.

7. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

This. Prolly the bezel. Not something I'd try to change myself (tho it could be a little glue and some pressure -- I wouldn't want to muck up the screen)

8. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

The owner was probably me.

I've shoved up on the dash many times to create just a millimeter more room between the dash and top of the touch screen. The problem is much reduced, but still crops up when I hit bumps. A common one is crossing a small bridge on a freeway where there's a little "up" bump, then "down" bump as the join to the bridge isn't quite smooth. Can also happen around town the road is bumpy.

It's annoying, someday I'll have to get it fixed, but not so annoying I'm motivated to do it quickly. I figure I've got 4 years/50,000 miles though to take care of it. Actually, I'll probably have them look into it when I get my 12k service or when I have some other service item (I need my spoiler, some interior CF parts are due, etc).

I'm afraid it'll mean no car for quite a while though. It's something that looks like it'd take some decent teardown to replace the touch screen.

9. Monsoon

Monsoon Member

Update from the original post:

Yes, the issue persists, but it is so totally random, it's nearly impossible to describe. Several times, we tried to capture the random event on video, and as you might expect, as soon as we got a camera ready, everything was back to normal. Tonight on the way home, it freaked out again, and I captured it on video.

This is where the story becomes amazing!

I called Tesla Customer Experience on an unrelated matter after hours, and to my surprise, a live person answered and handled the matter. He asked, "Is there anything else I can do for you? (I paused...) "Well, yes. I'm having this very infrequent, random, issue with the center touch screen changing apps all by itself." The sequence of events that followed should make Elon, George, and every stock-holder proud.

Jason Noma (Tesla CA customer experience guy) asked me to email him the video. Within minutes, we did.
    In less than 45 minutes, someone from Tesla (I regret I didn't capture his name -- he was spot-on), called us back at home (totally unexpected), to ask some fundamental questions about the issue we reported. He concluded this needed to be forwarded to our local service manager to investigate further.
    Well he did so, and within less than 45 minutes, Nicholas (Nick) and new associate Adam (based in Phoenix, with no official service center yet) called our home and asked for more info. They were in between stops, and asked if they could come by. This is 8:30pm, they just finished a Ranger call, and they wanted to come to us now.
    Now?!?
    That is remarkable.

We gave them our address, and they plugged it into their GPS system en route, and we knew they'd arrive at 8:49pm (+/- a minute or two.)
    By the time the arrived, they had also downloaded the original video, viewed it, and determined they could do a "hard-reboot", which requires pulling fuses we can't access as owners, and is different than the steering-wheel "soft-reboot."
    This may or may not resolve the issue, but regardless:
    1. This is outstanding customer service;
    2. We're all in new territory, and we have great support;
    3. If this fixes the issue, great; if not, we already know next steps;
    4. Tesla insists on being front and center on things like this, so they learn and share the learnings;
    5. The guys who show up in your driveway at 8:whatever in the evening are happy to be there, and happy to help, listen, and talk. You do learn a few things "unofficially" when you talk to these guys.

I don't know tonight if this fixed the issue, but I have learned so much more about how issues are handled -- that is invaluable. I'll buy more Tesla stock in the morning after the after-hours sell-off. (Different topic)

--A.

10. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Please post updates as they come in. Since I have the same problem, I'm quite interested in what the solution ends up being.

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

And now you know why so many Roadster owners bought a Model S and/or Model X. This level of service is what we have experienced. Welcome. :)

12. Monsoon

Monsoon Member

@bonnie1194

I (searching for words here...) really respect and honor the Roadster owners. You were soooo ahead of the curve. You (not George Clooney or other movie stars) made this possible!

Oops... (I hope you are not married to George Clooney.)

13. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

lol, pretty sure he's not married. And I don't recall ever seeing Bonnie in his company, but I could be wrong about that one.

14. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Bonnie might disagree :).

I have to agree, service has been great. Only complaint is that after a week at the service center, my car wasn't topped off before being brought back to me. Hardly much of a complaint though :).

15. Monsoon

Monsoon Member

Just to wrap this up, the replacement touchscreen solved the issue completely. It's been weeks now, and not one single problem. Thank you, Tesla.