Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Central California Solar and Powerwalls Install Started Today !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled install today of 24 panels and 2 powerwalls. I’ve known for a little over a week about install date but didn’t want to post here jinx it until they actually started showing up. I dragged my cooler full of drinks out to garage and started my wait inside.... trying to not act like a 10 year old on Xmas eve ...if possible :eek:. Panel crew showed up first went over placement / roof conduit. Powerwall crew a bit later went over placement of equipment / powerwalls in garage / clarified that it is whole house backup ( was communication issue with advisor, never clear ) soft or sure start ( whichever called) on ac.
Crew VERY nice and VERY professional and they COMMUNICATED with me ... what ?!? .... so far already making up for issues with Tesla team ( read lack of communication ...as huge issue as most on these boards know)
Wanted to give a big thanks to this whole community. A lot of you ladies and gentleman give some amazing advice, I think you all underestimate how much people learn on here even as mainly lurkers.
I’ll post some pics later if ppl interested.

Reactions: bmah and SMAlset
Congrats! Having recently had our install know the feeling about kid waiting for xmas. And it’s the gift that keeps on giving too! Waiting for PTO is about as hard, especially with your presents just sitting there wrapped up and waiting to be used.

Definitely post your photos

So this is one before pic of wall in garage where powerwalls / most all electrical equip will go (homemade wood panel for tesla connector will come off / connector relocated slightly)
5D4DAC98-4119-4A91-ABF3-E16F5A77F7B8.jpeg

Last edited:
So this is one before pic of wall in garage where powerwalls / most all electrical equip will go (homemade wood panel for tesla connector will come off / connector relocated slightly)
View attachment 611422

If you ever plan on finishing and/or painting that garage wall do it now. Once the gear goes up it will much harder to do a decent job of sanding and painting. Maybe a Thanksgiving weekend project?

Reactions: charlesj
If you ever plan on finishing and/or painting that garage wall do it now. Once the gear goes up it will much harder to do a decent job of sanding and painting. Maybe a Thanksgiving weekend project?

Tesla is there now for the install so a bit too late but otherwise something people should consider while waiting for their scheduled date and I’d recommend doing as well. We had our PW wall painted ahead of time as an accent wall. Wish we had repainted the wall our load centers went on across from them. Much harder job if you decide to finish later if you only have sheetrock up and walls not finished.

Last edited:
Tesla is there now for the install so a bit too late but otherwise something people should consider while waiting for their scheduled date and I’d recommend doing as well. We had our PW wall painted ahead of time as an accent wall. Wish we had repainted the wall our load centers went on across from them. Much harder job if you decide to finish later if you only have sheetrock up and walls not finished.

My thought process was that Tesla would not work right up to the holiday (such as not showing or quitting early on Wednesday) which would allow a few days over the holiday to handle some painting. I know our inverter and other electrical gear did not get mounted until Day 5 (week 2 in our SolarRoof install) the install.

View attachment 611422
As another suggestion on top of that painting tip, if you plan on living there for a good while, I'd suggest investing a roll of gray matting for the floor. I got this at Costco many years ago but should have done this when the house was brand new so the concrete is not black from tires:
picture as crew set up to install PW, mat visible under table
Tesla 2 custom.JPG

P1010830.JPG

My thought process was that Tesla would not work right up to the holiday (such as not showing or quitting early on Wednesday) which would allow a few days over the holiday to handle some painting. I know our inverter and other electrical gear did not get mounted until Day 5 (week 2 in our SolarRoof install) the install.

We have a maintenance appointment they set up for tomorrow, day before Thanksgiving. We reconfirmed it this morning with scheduling. So know the teams are out there this week.

As another suggestion on top of that painting tip, if you plan on living there for a good while, I'd suggest investing a roll of gray matting for the floor. I got this at Costco many years ago but should have done this when the house was brand new so the concrete is not black from tires:
picture as crew set up to install PW, mat visible under tableView attachment 611472
View attachment 611471

Woah, that looks like one steep driveway you have there from your photo! I believe our PW team laid down cardboard or something while working to protect our floor. We had epoxied the garage floor when we moved in (another good investment). Overall both solar and PW teams were great about cleaning up.

The OP is just getting 24 panels and 2 powerwalls which should be a no more than a 2 day install. They did my install of 48 panels and 4 powerwalls in two (long) days.

The OP is just getting 24 panels and 2 powerwalls which should be a no more than a 2 day install. They did my install of 48 panels and 4 powerwalls in two (long) days.
I had to go into work for a bit (10min away) but my impression is they would be done today, in a single day. (Seem reasonable for whole house and install soft start ?). i am fine with 2 days just happy its going in. Actually that was one question i failed to ask foreman this morning haha But I will find out soon.

They did cut power at about 12:30pm after powerwall team working since about 8am if thats any indication of progress... prob too many variables to compare with other installs though

and power back on at 2:15pm

Last edited:
Woah, that looks like one steep driveway you have there from your photo! I believe our PW team laid down cardboard or something while working to protect our floor. We had epoxied the garage floor when we moved in (another good investment). Overall both solar and PW teams were great about cleaning up.
Yep, should not stop halfway up or tires will squeal:) Good thing we don't get snow very often. ;)