Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Centralia to Ellensburg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Fair warning to those in a 60 kWh:
Probably not a good idea to attempt the Centralia to Ellensburg trip in one charge in cold weather.

Some trips stats for me:
  • P85, 19" Goodyear OEMs
  • cabin heated to 72F while charging @ Centralia
  • left Centralia with 215 rated (completing a 90% supercharge)
  • climate off (not even venting) for entire trip
  • non-aggressive driving speed and style
  • spurts of passenger car drafting in the first 3rd
  • reached "no buffer" (rated = navigation distance remaining)
  • 40+ miles of single semi steady drafting at the end
  • temperature range reported by car: [28F, 46F]

CentraliaToEllensburg.jpg

Data from the picture:
  • 173.1 mi, 59.3 kWh, 343 Wh/mi
  • 9 rated range remaining
  • last 5 mi Avg: 207 Wh/mi
  • temp 32F, Sun Jan 19, 10:26 PM

Last edited:
Right on. I was wondering about that link to Ellensburg. Might use that for a Leavenworth trip.

We ended up testing two Superchargers in WA twice over the weekend...
Beaverton -- Centralia SC -- Maple Valley = 181 miles Friday
Maple Valley -- Burlington SC -- Bellingham -- Burlington SC -- Maple Valley = 224 miles on Saturday
Maple Valley -- Centralia SC -- East Vancouver -- Beaverton = 190 miles Sunday

595 miles round trip, $0 in fuel, visiting family in Bellingham for dinner... Priceless!

Picked up 248 miles with my first deep charge at Centralia Supercharger coming home. Excellent charge times, as we pulled in with 16 miles remaining (with all the driving we did Sat. we didn't recoup much off Mother-in-law's 110 overnight).

Saw more than a couple of Tesla drivers charging, coming up for the Hawks game on Sunday. ;)

image.jpg

Edit:
Shortened the story to not be too off-topic. Hopefully.

Last edited:
5, 18, 90

Bing seems to pick the same route as Tesla's nav.

that's probably the shortest route.
If anybody does this and gets caught in a 'too close for comfort' scenario; there's a WA network (West Coast Green Highway: Washington's Electric Highways) charging station at Suncadia Lodge (exit 80 off 90) about 20 miles west of Ellensburg.
Nice place to stay or get a bite etc. Used sometimes by overnight Lodge visitors from Seattle with ModS's but 2 spots almost always available;
GPS: 3600 Suncadia Trail 98922 or Lodge at Suncadia to locate it

According to evtripplanner, taking HWY 12 uses 8 less rated miles than going I-5 to I-90. This also doesn't count all of the time you waste sitting in the inevitable accident/back-up when you are anywhere near Seattle area. HWY 12 does add 30-40 min to the trip (according to Google Maps), but being able to actually drive the whole time and not deal with crazy traffic might make it worth it.

According to evtripplanner, taking HWY 12 uses 8 less rated miles than going I-5 to I-90. This also doesn't count all of the time you waste sitting in the inevitable accident/back-up when you are anywhere near Seattle area. HWY 12 does add 30-40 min to the trip (according to Google Maps), but being able to actually drive the whole time and not deal with crazy traffic might make it worth it.

It's 172 miles going the way the OP describes and 183 miles going the way you describe (also with more elevation). Don't think anyone would be foolish enough to take I-5 all the way to downtown Seattle and then get on I-90, but maybe I'm wrong!

It's 172 miles going the way the OP describes and 183 miles going the way you describe (also with more elevation). Don't think anyone would be foolish enough to take I-5 all the way to downtown Seattle and then get on I-90, but maybe I'm wrong!

I meant with 18 in there. But I was looking at the route coming from the east (Ellensburg to Centralia) - in which case you lose elevation. Still not sure what the best route is. The last time I went 5 to 18 to 90 there was about 2 hours of stopped or extremely sluggish traffic. In cold weather, that's going to really cost.