Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Centre console/phone tray squeak - solution

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Since I've had the car there has been an incessant squeak from the phone charger drawer when driving.

The accepted solution seems to be to apply some foam, or padding or felt here:
squeek1.jpg

My gut told me this was not addressing the root problem tho. Pulling the tray up as far as it can go lets you see a couple of torx screws, and unscrewing these and pulling lets you remove the assembly. Its a pretty stiff hinge, with a magnet to give it that yank into the right place. Looking more closely at it I could see that where the magnet and its lump of steel meet was showing signs of rubbing. There are a couple of rubber feet that I had previously felt under there, but my suspicion was that they were not doing their job. So I added a little layer of the fluffy side of velcro to each of these. This is one side done, another not:

squeek2.jpg

Hopefully if any one else has this, you should be able to apply this fix without removing the part. Its great to have total silence when driving.

Avendit

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and ajp558

NewbieT

Aug 16, 2019
North West
Looks like a simple solution - thanks!

The squeak was annoying but it disappeared when I added the wireless charging pad- presumably because of the additional weight on top of it.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Yep, did mine with those pads you get for chairs and tables.

To bad the rear seat belts make noise unless plugged in....

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC