Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Centre Console - Vinyl Wrap vs Hard panels

Which is a better centre console cover?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we finally have a delivery date for the 25th and I'd like to start ordering some of the accessories (excited much!).
I know I definitely want to cover the piano black centre console but wondering what people recommend between the standard vinyl wraps and the 'hard cover' ones.

I like that the hardcover ones seem easier to apply or at least apply without making mistakes and I won't have to worry about bubbles appearing down the line HOWEVER i've never seen anyone remove the hard panels and i'm worried about damage (as our Tesla is a lease) - with the vinyl wraps i've seen multiple instances of them peeling off with no issues.

What should I get??
Thanks in advance :)

Its hard to judge since I don't have experience in hard covers. What I can tell you is that vinyl wrap is cheap and easily replaceable. One issue to keep in mind are corners finish, I didn't use any template and the look is Ok-ish in both corners. The front panel is easy to remove but not so much to put it back. Two of metal clips dropped (weak latch points) in the mids of the cockpit. I had to fiddle with a magnet to fetch one of them. So if you are brave enough I definitely recommend vinyl wrap.

So we finally have a delivery date for the 25th and I'd like to start ordering some of the accessories (excited much!).
I know I definitely want to cover the piano black centre console but wondering what people recommend between the standard vinyl wraps and the 'hard cover' ones.

I like that the hardcover ones seem easier to apply or at least apply without making mistakes and I won't have to worry about bubbles appearing down the line HOWEVER i've never seen anyone remove the hard panels and i'm worried about damage (as our Tesla is a lease) - with the vinyl wraps i've seen multiple instances of them peeling off with no issues.

What should I get??
Thanks in advance :)
There are some panel covers that stick on the original. No need to remove anything. The Abstract Ocean one does and I'm sure some others as well.

PS: I don't have actual experience of using one. Just know as found that when researching which to buy. I ordered the vinyl and if I don't like it I'll look at the other.

I'm using a hardcover one and I like it. It should be noted though, because they sit higher than the centre console the already sensitive magnets seem to be even more sensitive with them on. Also the top, mobile phone, cover is really slow to raise with my hard cover on. They still stick on but just with sticky strips so easier to remove than vinyl.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr K O’Watt
I'm using a hardcover one and I like it. It should be noted though, because they sit higher than the centre console the already sensitive magnets seem to be even more sensitive with them on. Also the top, mobile phone, cover is really slow to raise with my hard cover on. They still stick on but just with sticky strips so easier to remove than vinyl.
I have hard covers from Torque Alliance. No issue with sensitivity

I installed a Kenriko console wrap in my Model 3 last August (carbon matte). It looked absolutely beautiful for several months. In the hot weather earlier this year a couple of small bubbles appeared, about 3-4mm across. I punctured them with a fine pin and managed to smooth them down. Leaving the car in hot sun for much of a day this month, a much larger bubble arose, about the size of a 2p piece, with very solid air in it, which I couldn't successfully smooth back. In spite of my care in installation, I must have failed to completely expel all the air.

I have just replaced the wrap with a cover. The wrap came off easily and cleanly, and the Torque Alliance cover also looks beautifully neat. I expect to get no problem with that. Moral: if you put on a wrap, thoroughly expel all the air, as well as not capturing any dust!

Each part of the Torque Alliance cover has about three strips of adhesive for fixing to the console. I would expect thes to be fairly easy to remove if required, and any residue to be straightforward to clean up. I don't suppose there are many people who have yet done this!

I had my centre console wrapped by the company that wrapped the front of the car. I'm not ready to endorse them as they put the logo on the bonnet off centre by three inches! A couple of minor issues will need sorting when I get around to taking the car back.

Wife likes the piano black and the wrap there is perfect. The car was occasionally parked in the sun in Spain when the OAT was in the high 30s. No problems observed

I did wrap on the centre console without a template. it's actually pretty easy. it's been 50+degrees in the car a few times with no issues. I don't think you get bubbles with good wrap since its actually slightly permeable I think.
This worked for me with some good 3M wrap. (no blowtorch required just a hairdryer, very sharp craft knife and a credit card (to use as a squeegee)).

I've not done a kit but i think this could actually be easier. no lining up needed just stick it on then cut

Reactions: M3noob
Matt carbon fibre shell. Easy to fit, perfect alignment, no impact on magnetic catches or openings, easily removable
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081DT6349/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fDIW9I1.jpg

Matt carbon fibre shell. Easy to fit, perfect alignment, no impact on magnetic catches or openings, easily removable
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081DT6349/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fDIW9I1.jpg

Have you tried removing it yet? Do you know how it's done. With the vinyl wrap it seems pretty simple to just heat up with a hair dryer and then peel off but i'm not sure if it's the same process with the hard shells.
As it's a lease i just need to be sure I can remove these at the end of the term to return it back with the standard console

There are some panel covers that stick on the original. No need to remove anything. The Abstract Ocean one does and I'm sure some others as well.

PS: I don't have actual experience of using one. Just know as found that when researching which to buy. I ordered the vinyl and if I don't like it I'll look at the other.

Hey, thanks, yeah the ones that stick to the original panels is what i'm referring to. My car is a lease however so i'll need to return it back in it's original state after the term so my worry with the hard shell covers is how easy it is to remove them (without damaging the original panels they are stuck to) as no one seems to have done it yet :s

Hey, thanks, yeah the ones that stick to the original panels is what i'm referring to. My car is a lease however so i'll need to return it back in it's original state after the term so my worry with the hard shell covers is how easy it is to remove them (without damaging the original panels they are stuck to) as no one seems to have done it yet :s

Mine is a lease as well so all modifications need to be easily reversible. I believe these pull off and leave very little residue. They certainly have less areas stuck on so I'd imagine so.

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio
Prefer the shell type covers personally. Fairly easy to remove and do not mark the surface of the OEM piano black finish.

Currently have Torque Alliance Carbon finish shell covers fitted. Have an Abstract Ocean Carbon wrap kit available (new), as have never fitted it and a Torque Alliance Matte Carbon finish shell covers, brand new never fitted if anyone’s interested.

Reactions: Neilio