Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coat a new Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since u r in SD go to 5 Point in Kearney Mesa or Monumental next to the SD delivery center they do a lot of Tesla’s and have deals going for front half PPF ..should not cost you more than 1500 ....I have had full wraps on my S’s and on my New X only opted for front half based on experiences of other 2 cars ...than I ceramiced over everything ...IMO since I have pearl white it would have been overkill to do whole X ...if u are doing DIY I think the material alone is like ~$600 for the film I wouldn’t get kit just get the roll and the detailer tape to cut its much cleaner that way ...
I've always wondered, does anyone put ceramic on top of PPF and then another PPF on top to protect that ceramic?

From what I've read it'd be a pain to get a roll and DIY the front bumper.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I plan to wrap the entire car in PPF then a ceramic coat, then PPF, then another ceramic coat, then a coat of tears of Eskimos, then a solid layer of carbonite. Then I plan to buy an old missile silo and park the car at least 200 feet underground, never letting the sun shine on the car in order to protect the paint from fading. The key is the Eskimo tears. They really protect from rock chips.

Ok so I should be getting the car next month and I will contact both Point in Kearney Mesa or Monumental and go for the cheaper price for bumper PPF (maybe hood).

Once I get my vin I should also order adapters, and aero wheel kit and center console wrap?

I haven't practices with my orbital yet. Maybe this weekend. Still working on selling my truck too, kinda need that money towards the down payment :( Trade in is not an option as I will only get about 1/2 the value due to age of the vehicle.

I guess I should order the ceramic stuff from amazon sooner than later too.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Ok so I should be getting the car next month and I will contact both Point in Kearney Mesa or Monumental and go for the cheaper price for bumper PPF (maybe hood).

Once I get my vin I should also order adapters, and aero wheel kit and center console wrap?

I haven't practices with my orbital yet. Maybe this weekend. Still working on selling my truck too, kinda need that money towards the down payment :( Trade in is not an option as I will only get about 1/2 the value due to age of the vehicle.

I guess I should order the ceramic stuff from amazon sooner than later too.
I would recommend getting your hood done too. I originally had just my front bumper done and then driving on the 163 a rock hits my hood and got a pretty good rock chip. I ended up getting the rest of my front wrapped. Can’t go wrong with Monumantal or 5 Point. I got work done on my 3 from both shops.

Last edited:
called 5 point and monumental.

Monumental quoted me $1700 for full front PPF and $500 for bumper and $600 for door windows (no rear window tint?) They asked but it looks like the rear window is already tinted on the model 3. Is that not the case? Spectra Photosync Tint

Called 5-point and they said $1790 for full front or $650 for front bumper (plus rear bumper near trunk), and $750 for windows including the full piece of tint for the rear window. Dub IR Tint?

Not sure who to go with right now, but I'm thinking full PPF front PPF is too expensive so I may just do the front bumper.

Monumental quoted me $1700 for full front PPF and $500 for bumper and $600 for door windows (no rear window tint?) They asked but it looks like the rear window is already tinted on the model 3. Is that not the case? Spectra Photosync Tint

Called 5-point and they said $1790 for full front or $650 for front bumper (plus rear bumper near trunk), and $750 for windows including the full piece of tint for the rear window. Dub IR Tint?

Not sure who to go with right now, but I'm thinking full PPF front PPF is too expensive so I may just do the front bumper.
You could try going for only a partial PPF, just depends on what you're willing to spend or what you actually want. In my situation, I'd only go with max a partial ppf and maybe DIY ceramic coat

Reactions: Glamisduner

Monumental did my photosync ..they do good work I have seen PPF from both vendors and they do quality work ...I would lean towards monumental as their guys are good and do great work ...either way u can’t go wrong ...even if u do bumper only the slope of the 3 will still expose the hood to damage ..I don’t recommend just doing bumper ..

Monumental did my photosync ..they do good work I have seen PPF from both vendors and they do quality work ...I would lean towards monumental as their guys are good and do great work ...either way u can’t go wrong ...even if u do bumper only the slope of the 3 will still expose the hood to damage ..I don’t recommend just doing bumper ..
Thanks, their price is better too ad the photosync sounds pretty cool. Probably going with a 70% on the front windows though.
I'll probaly try them, but I do wonder about the cost with the rear window added.

It took 5 hours but I did it myself.
Wash.
Claybar.
Isopropyl alcohol prep.
Cquartz UK 3.0.
Reload finishing spray (comes with Cquartz)
All in about $100

Skipped some steps including polishing but very happy with results.
Only thing I wish I did different was buy an orbital polisher for the Cquartz buffing as I’m still sore 3 days later...

Agree not the same protection as PPF but cost vs benefit, it wasn’t worth it for me.

Some great instructional YouTube videos out there including some dude named Pan.
I bough this ceramic coating already, but you mentioned you would have used a random orbital buffer for the buffing process.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8APMQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm wondering what kind of 5" pad I would need for the buffing process? I thought you had to use micro fiber cloths because the stuff hardens so quickly, So I'm guessing you are buffing it with something else after the fact?

Thanks, their price is better too ad the photosync sounds pretty cool. Probably going with a 70% on the front windows though.
I'll probaly try them, but I do wonder about the cost with the rear window ?

Monumental also does winco which is a good ceramic for the price ...my photosync for X was 650 for whole car expect windshield ...it’s really overkill for San Diego but I spend part time in desert so need the better tint for when I’m there ..

Monumental also does winco which is a good ceramic for the price ...my photosync for X was 650 for whole car expect windshield ...it’s really overkill for San Diego but I spend part time in desert so need the better tint for when I’m there ..
I plan to do the ceramic myself because well, I already bought it. It's a good excuse to go over and detail it every couple years :). Plus, well I have a drain pipe collapsed at my house so spending anything additional on the car is not the best use of my money currently until that is taken care of. Which probably means a bathroom remodel in my near future. I might even wait on the tint and just do the PPF for now.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Last edited:
For some reason I ordered the CQUK 2.0 and now I see that the 3.0 is out for only slightly more money.

I'm thinking I should return my kit?
This is what I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8APMQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thinking to return it and get this?
https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Cquar...6869176&sr=1-7&keywords=CarPro+Cquartz+UK+3.0

Good comparison Video. Apparently the 3.0 is easier to apply in warmer climates

Glamisduner, if you have the option to return I probably would. My understanding as per the video you embedded and what I've read it's easier to apply.

I just applied it to my Model 3 this last weekend. The hardest part, as with all things is the prep. The one main tip that helped me from the comparison video was to use two towels for buffing out. That ensured that I didn't have high spots, especially since I applied in my less than ideally lit garage.

You could try going for only a partial PPF, just depends on what you're willing to spend or what you actually want. In my situation, I'd only go with max a partial ppf and maybe DIY ceramic coat
That's what I'm doing. Spending 2k and 5 days total without the car (plus rental car fees and hassle) was too much. Partial PPF is done and I may DIY ceramic. I figure I'll do a small section first and see how it goes.

Applied cquartz UK 3.0 ceramic coat on my 3 and friend's 3 too in about a day. Great walk through and tips from the videos posted in this thread and elsewhere. The overall process is not bad, but definitely laborious. It took us about 12 hours for 4 guys to complete 2 cars. Here are high level steps we followed,

1. Wash car with water gun
2. Foam wash with foam canon - bought foam canon and foam wash from Walmart
3. Hand wash with Mothers 05664 California Gold Car wash 64 oz and hand mitts - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009H51B2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W57JMRR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Remove chemical contaminants using Tar and Iron removers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UM6DLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OORR8ZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. More cleaning using Mothers 07240 California Gold clay bar system
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002U2V1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. Polish using dual action polisher and Meguiar's M205 mirror glaze ultra finishing polish
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carrand-94009AS-6-Dual-Action-Professional-Polisher/198269722
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O7PNXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. Remove oils from polish using Carpro eraser
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FY1E0HE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8. Apply 1st ceramic coat using cquartz UK 3.0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4NM5XM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9. Wait for an hour to apply the 2nd ceramic coat

10. Wait for an hour to apply Carpro reload (bought cquartz UK 3.0 bundle with reload) as we are expecting rain couple of days after completing ceramic coat

11. Leave it inside the garage for about a day and half

We felt applying ceramic coat to 2 cars at the same time saves some cost too as most of the materials are good for 2 cars. We just bought extra cquartz UK 3.0 30ml for the 2nd car.

We did not apply ceramic coat to the glass. Both of our cars already had xpel ppf to the full front.

Attachments

• 20181006_181058.jpg
    20181006_181058.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 20181007_190102.jpg
    20181007_190102.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20181008_185136.jpg
    20181008_185136.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20181008_185214.jpg
    20181008_185214.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20181008_185235.jpg
    20181008_185235.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Inked20181008_185153_LI.jpg
    Inked20181008_185153_LI.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 84
Question about spoiler and badge. I have all the stuff ready to ceramic coat my car, do you suggest:

--Coat entire car now and polish areas before spoiler badge install to get good adhesion? or
--Do not coat trunk lid until after install. This would require buying more ceramic as it only lasts 7 days once opened.

Has anyone put ceramic coating on the spoiler?

And do you ceramic coat the Tesla badges and door handles or work around them? Same question with machine polishing? Polish the badges and door handles or work around them?

Thanks for the advice!

If you're thinking about applying a ceramic or glass coat to your Tesla Model 3 or any vehicle. I would recommend going with the Glass Coat. Remember to always wash your car thoroughly and use a clay bar if needed before applying any ceramic coating.

In Ceramic Coating, its compounds protect your car against weather, bird droppings, scratches, dust, spills and other things that ordinary wax usually cannot fix, as well has having a durability that lasts for 4-6 months. A ceramic-coating process required heating in order to make sure the bonding is complete.
In Glass Coating, it bonds to your vehicle’s paint on a molecular level almost immediately upon application. This ensures that the car’s paint remain insulated against chemical attacks from all forms of environmental pollutants. Professional applicators have mostly converted to glass coating because of its durability and ease of application. Ceramic glass coating consist of particles of silicon dioxide within the hard resin that works to repel contamination and increase shine. It leaves a wet look that many in the industry desire. Most coatings are self-cleaning and even delay the buildup of crime and the elements in between cleans.

If you're thinking about applying a ceramic or glass coat to your Tesla Model 3 or any vehicle. I would recommend going with the Glass Coat. Remember to always wash your car thoroughly and use a clay bar if needed before applying any ceramic coating.

In Ceramic Coating, its compounds protect your car against weather, bird droppings, scratches, dust, spills and other things that ordinary wax usually cannot fix, as well has having a durability that lasts for 4-6 months. A ceramic-coating process required heating in order to make sure the bonding is complete.
In Glass Coating, it bonds to your vehicle’s paint on a molecular level almost immediately upon application. This ensures that the car’s paint remain insulated against chemical attacks from all forms of environmental pollutants. Professional applicators have mostly converted to glass coating because of its durability and ease of application. Ceramic glass coating consist of particles of silicon dioxide within the hard resin that works to repel contamination and increase shine. It leaves a wet look that many in the industry desire. Most coatings are self-cleaning and even delay the buildup of crime and the elements in between cleans.

Looks great!

anyone here have recommendations for commercial glass coaters (I'm in PHX) Would it be cheaper then PPF/ Ceramic etc? Longevity?