Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coat and PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting a Model 3 soon (i hope). Any ideas the price for ceramic coat and PPF (I still haven't decided), and an honest reliable shop to go to? Also, I welcome any opinions on ceramic coat and ppf. I am even thinking of applying ceramic coat myself (any good DIY brand?).

Thanks

Both can't save your Tesla from dented. You may simply save money for the future fixing and repaint. If you think both can save you time for washing, simply don't believe it. You need to wash anyway and very likey by your helper and not you.

Both can't save your Tesla from dented. You may simply save money for the future fixing and repaint. If you think both can save you time for washing, simply don't believe it. You need to wash anyway and very likey by your helper and not you.

Oh, I never thought it would save me from dents. but I park my car on the street rain or shine or typhoon. I NEVER wash my car. In the last seven years, I have never even waxed it. To be fair, it was a cheap toyota. just slightly yellowish, but still nice and shiny. Too lazy to wash, and I don't get the helper either, I think in this heat its cruel and unusual punishment..but I just wait for it to rain. Believe it or not, my old car, its mostly highway paint chips.. i usually go on the tolo highway. My other problem is bird droppings (in a BIG way, as all the parking are under trees). I just use a portable power wash, every time I have to go to an hotel for dinner and need valet parking. Don't even bother to wipe and dry. I was just hoping PPF or ceramic coat will make it easier for the bird dropping to wash off.

Reactions: Captain_Kong
Oh, I never thought it would save me from dents. but I park my car on the street rain or shine or typhoon. I NEVER wash my car. In the last seven years, I have never even waxed it. To be fair, it was a cheap toyota. just slightly yellowish, but still nice and shiny. Too lazy to wash, and I don't get the helper either, I think in this heat its cruel and unusual punishment..but I just wait for it to rain. Believe it or not, my old car, its mostly highway paint chips.. i usually go on the tolo highway. My other problem is bird droppings (in a BIG way, as all the parking are under trees). I just use a portable power wash, every time I have to go to an hotel for dinner and need valet parking. Don't even bother to wipe and dry. I was just hoping PPF or ceramic coat will make it easier for the bird dropping to wash off.
If you’re going to treat your Model 3 that way, nothing will save the paintwork. I would contact a auto body repair shop and ask which is the easiest Tesla paint colour to match and refinish and go with that.
If you are going to start washing your car regularly ceramic coating will keep it cleaner between washes and PPF protects from stone chips and mild scratches.
I put PPF on the front section of the car, the mirrors and rear bumper and ceramic coated over that.
That seems to me the best value protection versus price.

If you’re going to treat your Model 3 that way, nothing will save the paintwork. I would contact a auto body repair shop and ask which is the easiest Tesla paint colour to match and refinish and go with that.
If you are going to start washing your car regularly ceramic coating will keep it cleaner between washes and PPF protects from stone chips and mild scratches.
I put PPF on the front section of the car, the mirrors and rear bumper and ceramic coated over that.
That seems to me the best value protection versus price.

I heard people put Ceramic coat on top of the PPF. is this true? if so, would it affect the self healing function of the PPF? I am still waiting for my car.... COVID is unfortunately delaying everything.

Finally got my car wrapped. Based on what info I can gather, PPF is not that hydrophobic and can get water stains. Some people apply a ceramic coat on top to have more hydrophobic properties and prevent against yellowing. So I went and got a ceramic coat....DIY. I got myself a bottle of Cquart, 30mL and applied it. What you read on the internet is sort of true, best to wipe on, leave about one minute then buff out. PPF, they didn't cover the roof. Said it was glass and they don't usually do glass. Not sure if there is any truth to that. So I ceramic coated the glass roof, lights and all the windows... except the windshield. You are suppose to use a different type of coat for glass, but I still used the same Cquart. Just enough to do about two coats. Cost me about 60USD. Took about 3 hours. It hasn't really rained yet, but just a few drops today. Water totally beaded up. Not sure if it was PFF or the ceramic coat. You are suppose to use a sealant but as of now, its still in transit. Will apply some sealant when it arrives. Ordered Reload. Heard it was good. So far, I have some bird poop to be easily removed. Needless to say the car has an incredible shine right now. but time will tell how well the PPF and ceramic coat is working.

Attachments

• bead.jpg
    bead.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 97
Meguiar's M788 would be a good choice, but tbh if you at the supercharger you could wipe off bird droppings with Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax – Easy to Use Ceramic Wax Protection - G190526, 26 oz spray on and wipe off. if you spend 15mins to wipe your car down while supercharging in 4 charges your all would be clean.