Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coat home install weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,
Just thought I would post my results from my self install of and entire car (paint, glass and wheels) ceramic coat.

1.Started by a very thorough wash, foam cannon and a good scrubbing. I very seldom go for more than a week without a wash anyway, but the car still had a bunch of contaminates.
2. I did a 2 stage clay bar and synthetic clay bar treatment.
3. Polished the car using a mild cutting agent and foam pad on the high speed buffer.
4. Rinse and buff with rubbing alcohol and distilled water mixture.
5. Applied and buff the ceramic coating.

Whole process took my about 9.5 hours

Defiantly a bunch of work and while it cost so much to have it professionally done.

Attachments

• IMG_20200822_170806.jpg
    IMG_20200822_170806.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20200822_170815.jpg
    IMG_20200822_170815.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20200824_094047.jpg
    IMG_20200824_094047.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 111
Copy and paste laziness... :)

I never suggested that you work harder... if you hold the "shift" key along with the "Ctrl" + "V" instead of just your traditional "Shift" + "V" you will do a "paste plain text" if you're too lazy to right click and select "paste plain text" from the context menu.

Ctrl + V = paste (keeps text formatting of source text)
Ctrl + Shift + V = paste plain text only (removes all formatting of source text)

Ta da!

I'm all about working smarter.

Great work/looks great.

However, my general ceramic opinion? (Coming from someone whose done the ceramic process following similiar steps). While good? One can get same levels of gloss/beading of water by traditional sealant/waxes. Especially for those who tend to wash their cars regularly and garage their cars. I have a car that I clay once per year, then twice per year do a cleaner wax with buffer. I wash it about every 10 days carefully by hand and using foam gun. I dry my cars with leaf blower so I get minimal,if any,micro scratches/swirls between waxing.

When I compare it to the ceramic coated car? No one can tell which process was done to which car.

Looks good. I did my car around the turn of the new year with CQuartz UK 3.0. It was very time consuming (I think maybe 90 minutes per coat?) but it was cool in my garage and the flashing time meant I spent a while waiting around. Still looks great today. I think ceramic or traditional wax can look good, but I agree the longevity and sheeting is very good with ceramic.

It definitely is a PIA if you are DIYing it but it looks great!

If possible, try to look for a 9H Ceramic coating. It is usually pretty expensive but will last a lot longer than some of the knock-off stuff.

I'd say do it once, do it right :) OP - it looks great!!