Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating before or after OEM Spoiler install?

Ceramic Coating before or after Spoiler install?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As title suggests, I have an OEM carbon fiber spoiler I'm planning to have the service center install on my Model S. I'm also very interested in doing a ceramic coating on my Model S (not the spoiler). I'm not sure which order would be best? I'm assuming ceramic install first could make the spoiler install difficult because it may not stick?

P.S. - The spoiler is matte and I plan on keeping it that way (I assume ceramic coating the spoiler would make it look glossy).

Thanks for reading. Suggestions appreciated.

Nolan

Wouldn’t the ceramic need to then be stripped offf for the spoiler adhesive to properly bond?

I have the matte finish spoiler and don’t believe ceramic or any other coating would make it look glossy (maybe I’m wrong?)

Reactions: Art VandeIay
As title suggests, I have an OEM carbon fiber spoiler I'm planning to have the service center install on my Model S. I'm also very interested in doing a ceramic coating on my Model S (not the spoiler). I'm not sure which order would be best? I'm assuming ceramic install first could make the spoiler install difficult because it may not stick?

P.S. - The spoiler is matte and I plan on keeping it that way (I assume ceramic coating the spoiler would make it look glossy).

Thanks for reading. Suggestions appreciated.

Nolan

What did you end up doing? I also just ceramic coated my car and was told the 3m for the spoiler might not stick well.
Curious to know if you in fact installed yours after the coating?

What did you end up doing? I also just ceramic coated my car and was told the 3m for the spoiler might not stick well.
Curious to know if you in fact installed yours after the coating?
I ended up having the spoiler installed first. I was concerned the ceramic coating would cause issues with the spoiler adhering long-term. I rationalized that a P100D comes from the factory with the spoiler prior to ceramic coating.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I will pitch in here since I just had done exactly this yesterday. I had an appointment for ceramic coating (Crystal Sermum Light) and even though specifically asking that the trunk lid not be coated at this time, it was. Oh well. 5 days after picking up the car, I had the appointment for the spoiler install. The service rep was not very familiar with the ceramic coatings but said he will install it anyway, and it will be my problem if it sticks or not. I was more than happy with the proposal.
He thoroughly cleaned the trunk lid and proceeded to install the spoiler. He mentioned that sometimes the spoiler's curve does not match the curvature of the trunk but because the adhesive is very strong it does not really matter.
In my case one side was not perfectly lining up with the trunk and kept popping up about 10mm and this is where he mentioned that this does not usually happen. We tried holding it down for about 10 seconds (pushing hard) but the end was still popping up.
He mentioned that in regular situations without coatings, once you put the spoiler on regular paint, it will be extremely difficult to take it off again. In my case he took the entire thing off twice with ease after pushing it hard against the trunk.
I finally resorted to a lot of duct tape to strap the spoiler and push it hard against the lid. Left it like that for a day and now seems properly attached. I did tug a bit on it and it won't come off.

Long story short it DOES matter if you have ceramic coating. Initial contact and grip will be FAR less effective on ceramic coating. It seems that after a while, with some pressure help, the adhesive cures and grips the coating. Hopefully the spoiler won't come off with time.

• Informative
Reactions: shellderp
Aaaand of course this happened after a week or so:
Spoiler2.jpg

Aaaand of course this happened after a week or so:

I'm assuming that is the side that you originally had an issue with? I took my car directly to a have it ceramic coated the day of delivery (12/2017). I installed a TSportline spoiler about six months after. It has been holding fine with no issues. No lifting, nothing. If your spoiler was lifting from the start, then you will continue to have the same problem. These spoilers are all made from a vacuum mold. The mold starts to decay after xx amount of use and the spoiler no longer fits well. Myself, and others on various other forums, have had no issue with installing a spoiler like this AFTER ceramic coat.

Yes. Here’s my experience (first hand):
- the regular (top brands) adhesive will work on ceramic coating, but you should definitely buff the areas and polish
- when polishing the surface, make sure you don’t do more area than necessary as it will be a visible difference
- dry fit the spoiler and ensure that the curvature matches perfectly the trunk line. Carbon fiber is extremely strong and and if bent during install, it will pull off the adhesive when it relaxes and goes back to the initial shape, no matter how strong the adhesive is

and if someone would be so kind as to measure the size of the performance badge and the distance from the side and bottom of the trunk body. That way I can tape off and buff just the necessary area. Just realized this thread is in the S forum and I'm asking about a model 3.