Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating for New Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings from a Model 3 noobie owner. I picked up my Stealth (Team White) from Fremont Hub a couple of days ago, and the love affair is just started. My current favorite song lyric "The machine of a dream, such a clean machine". Queen got it right, except for the the second line "With pistons a pumpkin..." :D

I want to keep StormTrooper pristine, so I will be getting a ceramic coating. When is the best time to do this? ASAP, no point in waiting and it will keep it looking like it is looking right now? Or wait a few weeks (or longer), or at least until the "rainy season" (as we call it in SF Bay Area) is over? If waiting, should I be waxing it in the meantime?

Congrats on your new Model 3!

If you are going to do a ceramic coating, I would do it asap. You want to protect your paint from the get go. The only thing to consider is if your ceramic coating will have enough time to cure properly. I have not personally applied a ceramic coating, but I believe you have to wait 24 hours before it can be exposed to water. Check the application instructions from the manufacturer and make sure you give it the proper cure time.

Another reason you want to do a ceramic coating asap is that any minor blemishes or flaws in the paint need to be corrected before you apply the ceramic coating. If you wait several weeks, you risk your paint getting majorly damaged and thus requiring a more elaborate paint correction before applying the ceramic coating.

Unless it came with imperfections from Tesla (which has been known to happen), you can probably get away with a light polishing before applying a ceramic coating if you do it right away.

The only other reason NOT to do a ceramic coating right away is if there is a chance you may decide to get PPF installed. You can apply a ceramic coating on top of PPF, but you cannot apply PPF on top of ceramic coating.

Finally, if for any reason you can't do a ceramic coating right away, you can always apply a ceramic-infused spray sealant. This will protect your paint for 3 to 6 months, depending on the product and conditions. My favorite is Hyper Seal by Opti Coat, but I also just ordered a botle of The Last Coat, which I am excited to try. Just remember that you will need to remove the spray sealant before applying the ceramic coating. You always want to apply the ceramic coating to clean, contaminant-free and sealant/wax free paint.

Congrats on your new Model 3!

If you are going to do a ceramic coating, I would do it asap. You want to protect your paint from the get go. The only thing to consider is if your ceramic coating will have enough time to cure properly. I have not personally applied a ceramic coating, but I believe you have to wait 24 hours before it can be exposed to water. Check the application instructions from the manufacturer and make sure you give it the proper cure time.

Another reason you want to do a ceramic coating asap is that any minor blemishes or flaws in the paint need to be corrected before you apply the ceramic coating. If you wait several weeks, you risk your paint getting majorly damaged and thus requiring a more elaborate paint correction before applying the ceramic coating.

Unless it came with imperfections from Tesla (which has been known to happen), you can probably get away with a light polishing before applying a ceramic coating if you do it right away.

The only other reason NOT to do a ceramic coating right away is if there is a chance you may decide to get PPF installed. You can apply a ceramic coating on top of PPF, but you cannot apply PPF on top of ceramic coating.

Finally, if for any reason you can't do a ceramic coating right away, you can always apply a ceramic-infused spray sealant. This will protect your paint for 3 to 6 months, depending on the product and conditions. My favorite is Hyper Seal by Opti Coat, but I also just ordered a botle of The Last Coat, which I am excited to try. Just remember that you will need to remove the spray sealant before applying the ceramic coating. You always want to apply the ceramic coating to clean, contaminant-free and sealant/wax free paint.

Thanks. I forgot to mention I will take it to a shop for Ceramic Pro. I'm too chicken to try doing it myself. Good info about curing.