Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating for new Model y white

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model y performance scheduled to arrive in March, here in Central Ohio. A couple questions: I am hearing the White Teslas may not need a ceramic coating because of improvements in the paint, is that true? If you were to select one, would it be PPF or ceramic? For those in central Ohio, do you have good experiences with any particular detailer?

I wrapped my 2018 BMW M2, putting PPF over the entire front, headlights, doors and other high exposure areas.

Car is now 4 years old, and it looks brand new!

Just depends on if chips and scratches bother you, or if you're the type of person that doesn't really mind a few chips. For me, spending a few thousand on a car (or now, cars) that cost $60k + to keep them looking much nicer down the road was worth it.

The person who wrapped my MYP applied ceramic coating to my white seats, without my asking him to or paying for it. He says it'll keep them clean longer and make them much easier to remove dirt.

Reactions: sevusal
Upvote 0
Depends what you care about..
If your previous car has tons of rock chips and dings and scratches and you care about it, yes a PPF would help.
I just saw on my sentry mode some ding a ling opened his door without a care in the world and hit my car.
If it wasn't protected, scratches for sure. But when I looked, no scratches and luckily no dents.

If you don't care about that but want to make car slightly easier to car wash, and protect the paint against bird poop and the elements, a ceramic coating is a good idea!

But the best of both worlds is both.

And if you couldn't give 2 F's about your paint and what happens and think to yourself, I'll just paint or replace my bumper, then by all means.... let it fly without any protection

Upvote 0
thing I failed to understand is how is Tesla diff than any other cars you previously owned? did you do any PPF or ceramic on your proviso cars? if so, go for it but don't treat Tesla any diff than any of your previous cars. don't get me wrong, its an amazing car but I don't understand all these obsessions over PPF/ceramic for Tesla!
It’s different in how it’s made. Painted on a Tuesday of last week and delivered to new owner within two weeks.

BMW manufacturers their car. Puts it on a ship. Sends it to a dealership where it’s then put on a truck to said dealership. Car may sit on lot for 1 month +. Total time from mfg to possible delivery 3 months. (When in reality it’s more like 6 months. More paint cure time.

Upvote 0
I am hearing the White Teslas may not need a ceramic coating because of improvements in the paint, is that true? I
This doesn't make any sense. Ceramic coating is to protect your cars finish very similar to waxing but can last longer. It's not going to improve a crappy paint job.

The question to ceramic coat or not is if you want that protection?

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0