Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating interior white seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been researching the heck out of ceramic coating (Gyeon) my white seats on my upcoming Y and it seems generally across the board everyone is happy with the ceramic coating. However, I see an equal amount of people who say their seats look like new after a same period of time. My main wonder is - if I plan on doing regular-ish wipe downs of my white seat when it shows signs of stain/wear, would it still make a difference to ceramic coat my seats?

Second, everyone has posted experiences 0-2 years after applying, does anyone know about the long-term effects of ceramic coating? (E.g., multiple sustained coating long-term actually cause more damage than simply cleaning regularly)

Has anyone had a bad experience with Gyeon that they'd like to point out as a consideration? I tried googling negatives but (surprisingly) wasn't able to find any.

Reactions: danielshue
I had the beige seats in both Model S.
Since the seats were leather, I also had them sealed.

In the case of Model 3/Y, on the other hand, it is synthetic leather.
I had the white seats in both Model 3 and they weren't sealed.

They were very easy to clean with soap and water.
Even after almost 3 years, they still looked good.

Also my model Y, which I pick up on Saturday, I have taken white seats again and will not seal them again.

We're 3 years in with the white seats. I've applied the Gyeon ceramic coating three times now. No issues whatsoever so far, but of course, I can't know what it will look like 10 years down the road. I personally don't see how there will be any long term negative effects. Whether it's needed to protect the white seats is a different question. I'm not convinced it is, but I figure better safe than sorry.

> I'm not convinced it is, but I figure better safe than sorry.

Lol this is my thinking right now as well.. from research I can't determine that it is necessary. Do you feel any physical difference in your seat after 3 coatings and 3 years in? Does the coating makes seats slick?

I had the beige seats in both Model S.
Since the seats were leather, I also had them sealed.

In the case of Model 3/Y, on the other hand, it is synthetic leather.
I had the white seats in both Model 3 and they weren't sealed.

They were very easy to clean with soap and water.
Even after almost 3 years, they still looked good.

Also my model Y, which I pick up on Saturday, I have taken white seats again and will not seal them again.
Did you have the seatbelt issue where it eventually may create a stain on your white interior M3? I’m seeing some have the stain, some don’t, some are saying white will eventually stain.

> I'm not convinced it is, but I figure better safe than sorry.

Lol this is my thinking right now as well.. from research I can't determine that it is necessary. Do you feel any physical difference in your seat after 3 coatings and 3 years in? Does the coating makes seats slick?
The seats are slightly slicker right after application. But I only notice it the first time I sit in the seats. Not bad at all.

I have white seats in my Model Y. I notice I am constantly rubbing/hitting the part of the seat closest to you as you get in the driver's side. I have to push with my right foot "up" a bit to lift myself out of the car. I have not found a seating position yet that makes it super easy for me to get in without hitting that part of the seat. Subsequently there is some noticable slight discolouration/bleeding in that section of the seat. I am applying ceramic coating...but it looks like that side bolster part of the seat is getting used and abused, and perhaps there is nothing I can do about it :(

I have attached a photo showing the driver's side seat bolster - the closest part of the seat to you as you get in the car. You can see very slight discolouration and some "lines" on the material, almost like stretch marks :). It's very slight but noticeable if you really look for it. It's very hard to get a good photo of this but I think you can make it out.

New photo by Darren E
seat-stretch-marks-and-light-brown-discoloration.jpg

Anyone else have similar experiences?

I have white seats in my Model Y. I notice I am constantly rubbing/hitting the part of the seat closest to you as you get in the driver's side. I have to push with my right foot "up" a bit to lift myself out of the car. I have not found a seating position yet that makes it super easy for me to get in without hitting that part of the seat. Subsequently there is some noticable slight discolouration/bleeding in that section of the seat. I am applying ceramic coating...but it looks like that side bolster part of the seat is getting used and abused, and perhaps there is nothing I can do about it :(

I have attached a photo showing the driver's side seat bolster - the closest part of the seat to you as you get in the car. You can see very slight discolouration and some "lines" on the material, almost like stretch marks :). It's very slight but noticeable if you really look for it. It's very hard to get a good photo of this but I think you can make it out.

New photo by Darren E
View attachment 716052
Anyone else have similar experiences?
I had / saw the same issue with mine. I used a wet water microfiber towel and rubbed the side and it cleaned right up. Did not know if it will come off or not, but it came right off so I used the same towel to wipe down all the seats.

Chemical guys has a $25 bottle of ceramic spray. Probably not gonna give you the long-term of a *real* one, but I can say after 6 months when I spilled some water on my seats it beaded up like crazy still. Worth the $25 imo and you can apply it every few months

Wow! That's really soon for stretch marks. Is steam cleaning free?
Tesla Service said it's common but after I explained to them the car has less than 4k miles and ceramic coated since day one by professional shop and weekly detailed, then they offer steam cleaning at service center to see if that work (FREE). They don't think its color transfer or stain, more of "common wear & tear "