Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating killed driver assist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently acquired a 2017 fully loaded Model S. The dealer had done a paint correction so as soon as I got it home, I applied a complete ceramic coating. Immediately afterwards, I noticed that the driver assist was no longer functional I still see the lanes next to me when I drive but the ghostly images of the cars around me are gone, there is a message :driver assist is not available" and cruise control no longer works. The tech at the Tesla repair center thinks it's the ultrasound sensor but I have a feeling that the coating messed with the camera. Thoughts?

I had my model s entire front end , rocker panels and back sill wrapped in clear expel and then 4 coats of ceramic coating over the entire car and I have had no performance issues with any of the sensors. I have a feeling zanary is on to something.

Reactions: R1Bill
No, everything was working when I got it. It was clean so the paint correction was done before. I applied the CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coating myself. Including FlyByForte for the glass. After that was done it no longer worked. Didn't disassemble anything. And now it looks like they want to charge me a diagnosis fee of $95. Seems strange when the tech thinks it's the ultrasound sensor. He didn't want to mess with it until he had a spare.

You may want to see if it's reflecting the front radar sensor. Kind of like if you mounted a license plate in front of it. When mine was unplugged on my model 3 , I lost Auto pilot, no active cruise and ghost cars were gone. Once plugged in, it all came back.

So, I took it into the Tesla Service center. They kept it overnight and calibrated the cameras. I picked it up. It worked great for 27 miles. Just as I was getting to my office to park it, the error returned. And, it hasn't left. Looks like it will have to go back again.