Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating on PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I havent used either of them because the ppf just got installed yesterday and they said to wait two weeks before i use any soap on the car so that the ppf can cured 100% because if soap gets underneath it it can lift. I report back in 2 weeks

I used a random brand, Nano Bond off amazon and it turned out pretty good. I also use McKee's Ceramic spray for boosts after washing. I was going to use a muchh more expensive one but it was lost in the mail by USPS and that company only shipped via USPS, so I just did some research and chose another brand. Be warned though depending on your paint the thing that takes longest is not actually applying the ceramic but the buffing and polishing and forbid any defects that you find. It took me about a day to do all the paint prep. I found that the rear bumper had a ton of clearcoat overspray and some other defect spots around the car. It takes a ton of time to correct those things.

I used a random brand, Nano Bond off amazon and it turned out pretty good. I also use McKee's Ceramic spray for boosts after washing. I was going to use a muchh more expensive one but it was lost in the mail by USPS and that company only shipped via USPS, so I just did some research and chose another brand. Be warned though depending on your paint the thing that takes longest is not actually applying the ceramic but the buffing and polishing and forbid any defects that you find. It took me about a day to do all the paint prep. I found that the rear bumper had a ton of clearcoat overspray and some other defect spots around the car. It takes a ton of time to correct those things.

I totally understand the prep as I did it over my first MY. I just need to find the brand that works over ppf and doesn’t interfere with self healing property.

I totally understand the prep as I did it over my first MY. I just need to find the brand that works over ppf and doesn’t interfere with self healing property.
Any brand will work. The self healing will still be there but you're missing the crux of the ceramic. It deposits a few microns thick layer of sio2 essentially glass on top of the surface. So if the ceramic is scratched off you'll have to reapply after prepping that area. Whatever self healing won't be healing cuz there's a layer of sio2 on top. But if a scratch gets thru the ceramic, the PPF is there to protect the part and then do it's self healing thing.

Any brand will work. The self healing will still be there but you're missing the crux of the ceramic. It deposits a few microns thick layer of sio2 essentially glass on top of the surface. So if the ceramic is scratched off you'll have to reapply after prepping that area. Whatever self healing won't be healing cuz there's a layer of sio2 on top. But if a scratch gets thru the ceramic, the PPF is there to protect the part and then do it's self healing thing.
If the ppf is two weeks old do you prep it for ceramic ? I know on paint yes.