Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating on wheels - how well does it work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bull

Chatting is great, just don't shoot the Bull.
Supporting Member
Oct 25, 2020
Tucson, AZ
My new wheels from @SignatureWheel @SignatureSales are arriving tomorrow. I'm thinking about having them ceramic coated while they are still clean and in the shipping boxes. What kind of results have others gotten? Does it make a big difference in keeping them clean? How long does it last (pro installation)? It would be nice to reduce the effort for keeping them clean.

Signature Wheel forged (Monoblock Series SV104, Brushed Black Triple Tinted) 21" OE size and fitment:
SV104 Wheels for Plaid.jpg

Last edited:
I had the TSW wheels on my 2018 Model 3 done professionally with Ceramic Pro for $250, that was 3 years ago. Really glad that I did as it made them so much easier to clean, and ignoring the rash I recently put on them, they really did hold up well. I just had the stock wheels on my new S done, also with Ceramic Pro, although it was $425 this time, same shop :( They definitely have a glossier look to them now.
I too have some Signature Wheels (well on the way!), and will definitely be having them done too. I was thinking about trying it myself, but having seen some of the streaking that people get when doing it themselves I'm kinda thinking I'll just get the same shop to do my wheels again, as well as mounting and balancing.

My experience:

- marginally glossier when clean
- marginally less dirty when dirty
- a lot easier to clean:
>> really really light dust/dirt will hose right off
>> moderate dirt will power wash off easily
>> I still end up doing my usual wheel/tire wash routine anyway because I’m that guy but it only takes one round of that no matter how dirty to get them clean as a whistle.

I used Adam’s Graphene Ceramic on one set of my wheels and as others have said it helps a lot. With the wheels off (fresh in from shipping as you are planning) it took me 30-45 minutes per wheel.

It is definitely helping keep them a bit cleaner, but the dirt/dust doesn’t just spray off in my case. It does clean really easily with a gentle wipe down though. I ended up getting a hand sprayer/foamer so I can clean just the wheels between full car washes.

Reactions: Bull
Thanks to all for the advice.

I ended up getting my new wheels ceramic coated at Hyer Quality Detail in Tempe. They are an amazing company and I highly recommend them. When I asked how long theirs lasts this was their response:

"Really depends on abrasion but you will easily get 3+ years. Most see 5+ years. We use a different coating for wheels so it is a bit more, but the quality is much more too. It’s equivalent to 20 layers of our 9H coating and it has a 2000 degree temperature resistance. Also, this includes the base coat and top coat application."

The total was $400 and they were completed same day. The wheels are even shinier than when I dropped them off and look amazing. It takes a couple weeks to fully cure so I'm being careful with them as much as possible until then. It is nice to finally have them on my car though.

Now I just have to decide on caliper color. What do you think? Red or Yellow?

IMG_6080D (1).jpeg

IMG_6079D (1).jpeg

IMG_6078D (1).jpeg