Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating on windshield voids warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my 2022 M3 to a detailer to have ceramic coating put on the windshield last week. He tried to thoroughly clean the glass inside and out, but had trouble with some areas that had a haze that appeared to be on the inside, perhaps the laminate between the 2 pieces of glass. He did his best and applied the ceramic coating. Based on other posts about faulty windshield glass, I set up a service appointment to have the windshield replaced. When I took it to the service center today they had trouble seeing the evidence, which admittedly shows up only under certain direct sun situations. After multiple people inspected it, they deduced that the problem was with the detailer, not the glass. When I mentioned that ceramic was applied, they said end of discussion. Ceramic voids the warranty. It also apparently can cause issues with the rain sensor etc.

Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. I do have a very small rock chip at the bottom of the windshield that barely extends above the black masking. I'm hoping it will expand into a large enough crack to justify an insurance replacement.

Take it to a different service center, or if that's too far go back and ask for the service manager. The ceramic coating does not void the warranty. Especially if the issue is between the 2 panes of glass!

In my experience, I've had some techs try to work around a problem by voiding a warranty and you have to fight back on that.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
You should have taken the car in to get it fixed before applying any coating. Any windshield distortion is very hard to prove/demonstrate in the first place, and applying another coating on it (which may add more distortion) only makes it that much harder.

Reactions: David Sowden
You should have taken the car in to get it fixed before applying any coating. Any windshield distortion is very hard to prove/demonstrate in the first place, and applying another coating on it (which may add more distortion) only makes it that much harder.
I agree. I was surprised/disappointed that the detail guy went ahead and applied the coating when he couldn't get the glass clean. I'll leave it for a while and perhaps consider taking it to another service center if the problem appears to be more obvious.

I assume the ceramic coating can be removed. I suggest you first have the coating completely removed. Then check to see if the original problem is still there. If it is, then you can take it back to the service center. Don't mention the coating, but if they ask after reviewing the service history, you can tell them that the coating was completely removed.

I assume the ceramic coating can be removed. I suggest you first have the coating completely removed. Then check to see if the original problem is still there. If it is, then you can take it back to the service center. Don't mention the coating, but if they ask after reviewing the service history, you can tell them that the coating was completely removed.
You can chemically break it down

No need for chemical solvents. A glass polish applied manually or with a polisher will remove it in 5-10 minutes.
I'm applying ceramic treatment to all my glass surfaces on my own (just buying off amazon) and I face no issue whatsoever - just do not mention it to the service people.
Thanks for the info. Care to share what products you use to clean the glass and the ceramic product?

I took my 2022 M3 to a detailer to have ceramic coating put on the windshield last week. He tried to thoroughly clean the glass inside and out, but had trouble with some areas that had a haze that appeared to be on the inside, perhaps the laminate between the 2 pieces of glass. He did his best and applied the ceramic coating. Based on other posts about faulty windshield glass, I set up a service appointment to have the windshield replaced. When I took it to the service center today they had trouble seeing the evidence, which admittedly shows up only under certain direct sun situations. After multiple people inspected it, they deduced that the problem was with the detailer, not the glass. When I mentioned that ceramic was applied, they said end of discussion. Ceramic voids the warranty. It also apparently can cause issues with the rain sensor etc.

Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. I do have a very small rock chip at the bottom of the windshield that barely extends above the black masking. I'm hoping it will expand into a large enough crack to justify an insurance replacement.
You do anything after market and Tesla will void the warranty. I wouldn’t doubt that if you say you waxed the car the paint fading or flaking off is due to the wax and therefore voids warranty.

My windshield has no ceramic coating and the glitter spots are getting worse.

for the OP, where is the haze located on your windshield? Is it in an area obstructing your view while driving? Any pictures of it?
It doesn't obstruct my view. It is more of a nuisance when the sun catches it right, primarily an area down the middle of the glass and on lower passenger side. We don't get much sun here in the PNW at this time of year, so not too bothersome right now. Am thinking it MIGHT be due to the ceramic application. Will try to remove it and see what happens.