Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating right after delivery or wait a bit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking forward to expected delivery of 3 LR next month. I'm planning to get ceramic coating at a great place located near the pickup SC in Boston area. I was going to bring it over there right after pickup, but now wondering if I should wait a few days and just be sure all is ok with the car. Although it's hard to imagine I'd "reject" the car, I would be giving up that 7 day/1,000 mile return window.

I'm not real concerned, but just a bit anxious about 1) the various concerns expressed with paint/ external build issues (yes, I will bring a checklist) and 2) the various concerns around phantom breaking. I suspect that while these are all real concerns, those concerns get "concentrated" in a forum like this, and unlikely that I wouldn't just deal with it, but.... any thoughts appreciated!

Reactions: swb2734
The sooner the better as any scratches, chips, swirls which might occur after delivery will need correcting before the coating is applied.
Take a couple of very powerful torches with you at pickup and spend as much time as you need to inspect the car properly before you drive it away. It's always going to be better to point out any defects while you're there and then you can get the ceramic done immediately after.

Phantom braking is an issue but it seems to affect some more than others. I use TACC very rarely so it doesn't bother me, but if you plan to use it a lot you may experience it.

I am going to have the paint protected ASAP. I agree with the above, I will be getting PPF from a local detailing shop that works on a lot of Tesla's. The package comes with a coating of Ceramic Pro as well though and they also actually send a guy from the shop down to meet you at your Delivery Center when you pick up the car to professionally inspect the car's factory paint/detailing to help note any issues.

I'm not real concerned, but just a bit anxious about 1) the various concerns expressed with paint/ external build issues (yes, I will bring a checklist) and 2) the various concerns around phantom breaking. I suspect that while these are all real concerns, those concerns get "concentrated" in a forum like this, and unlikely that I wouldn't just deal with it, but.... any thoughts appreciated!
Ceramic coating only makes the car easier to clean. If you want protection, then PPF (paint protection film) is the way to go. Some people do both, but I've never found it necessary--just PPF. (You do have to be picky about who installs the PPF though, make sure you see actual cars that the person who's going to install it has done.)
The phantom braking has improved with each software release. I've had one instance in 7K road trip miles on the 2020 X.

I would definitely also suggest PPF for protections. Though Ceramic Coating also provides small protection it's mostly for easier cleaning and a "new look" for a longer period.
With what said, it's definitely recommended to ceramic coat as soon as possible. For example, if you get som small scratches you would actually just permanent seal them up with ceramic coating.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy your Tesla, it's a beautiful beast :)

I would definitely also suggest PPF for protections. Though Ceramic Coating also provides small protection it's mostly for easier cleaning and a "new look" for a longer period.
With what said, it's definitely recommended to ceramic coat as soon as possible. For example, if you get som small scratches you would actually just permanent seal them up with ceramic coating.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy your Tesla, it's a beautiful beast :)
PPF only after seven years 130K miles. Not garaged.
IMG_1714.jpg IMG_1743.jpg IMG_1731.jpg

Looking forward to expected delivery of 3 LR next month. I'm planning to get ceramic coating at a great place located near the pickup SC in Boston area. I was going to bring it over there right after pickup, but now wondering if I should wait a few days and just be sure all is ok with the car. Although it's hard to imagine I'd "reject" the car, I would be giving up that 7 day/1,000 mile return window.

Craft Detailing in Dedham?

A related question to this, I know they generally do paint correction before applying ceramic coating (and/or PPF for that matter). Does that ever involve actually painting the car on a smaller scale? In other words, how bad would a scratch have to be to necessitate actual paint?

How much does a M3 cost to get PPF? I mean I know it can vary per place, but after reading this I’m pretty certain I want to look into it.
Varies depending if the installer uses pre-cut kits or bulk film and what coverage you want. My cars are bulk to wrap over the edges. $500-$2500 or more. For my Teslas: $1700 each including:
- full front bumper w/fog lights
- headlights
- full hood
- full fenders
- mirrors
- rocker panels extended up the areas behind rear doors.

STEK film applied with bulk and glorious looking installs with no lines showing. (yes, even 1/4 panels) It's truly invisible.

Varies depending if the installer uses pre-cut kits or bulk film and what coverage you want. My cars are bulk to wrap over the edges. $500-$2500 or more. For my Teslas: $1700 each including:
- full front bumper w/fog lights
- headlights
- full hood
- full fenders
- mirrors
- rocker panels extended up the areas behind rear doors.

STEK film applied with bulk and glorious looking installs with no lines showing. (yes, even 1/4 panels) It's truly invisible.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely going to look around my area for some highly reviewed places whenever I get closer to a delivery date.