TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ceramic Coating vs wrap

Discussion in 'Canada' started by enwhy, May 9, 2018.

1. enwhy

enwhy Member

What's the difference between ceramic coating vs wrap? When is one preferred over the other?

2. Zirak

Zirak Member

From what I've read so far:
    1. Ceramic Coat keeps your car looking clean (bird poop, and small debris comes off easily), but it is NOT protection against paint chipping from small rocks and such hitting your car. These are generally cheaper (srstinting from Mississsauga does this for $1500 for 4 coats on your entire car with lifetime warranty). It also makes your car look nice and shiny.

2. PPF wrap costs much more, and depends on the material you pick, generally XPEL, 3M Pro, and SunTek are considered the best options to choose. XPEL seems to have the best warranty. Just to get the front side done (full hood, bumper, etc.) seemed to be quoted for about $1500 as well on srstinting's site, but this may vary (not sure if the quotes on the site are accurate for all cars). Full body wrap was about $4500 IIRC. But this protects you from paint damage, but not against stuff like dents (e.g. someone hitting their door into your car).

• Informative x 3
  3. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

They aren’t mutually exclusive either: I have a full Xpel wrap with ceramic coating on top of that.

4. enwhy

enwhy Member

Interesting, thanks. Does the wrap/coating need to be applied right after delivery? I've read that there are paint correction services, in which case, can it be done later? I'm assuming the longer the wait, it's not going to be as good?

5. pkodali

pkodali Banned

Usually even at delivery you need paint correction but it is better to do it right after delivery. My parents literally drove it to our place right after taking delivery

6. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

The sooner the better. The longer you wait, the more likely something will get damaged.

7. madmax240

madmax240 Model S 100D

Totally agree. Got expel only and after three months, it looks so nice after a wash.
    4500 here in Ottawa - whole car, front lights and mirrors. And inside the bottom doors too.

8. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

For protection, there is no doubt a PPF is the way to go. I did mine at SRS Tints and they did a good job.

If a full wrap is outside of your budget, you can get a 3M wrap for $1,500 that really gets most of the trouble spots. Paint Protection Film

I ended up choosing 3M over Xpel and Suntek because at the time, I thought it offered a bit better protection.

9. T3slaCanuck

T3slaCanuck Member

does the $1500 include paint correction, wash, etc?

10. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

If you look at the online packages most include a wash, decontamination and some level of paint correction in there base pricing. Extra work needed will cost more. The base price also normally includes base PPF. Again more if you upgrade.

11. pmich80

pmich80 Between U and me I'm giddy waitin' for the Model ≡

It's best to get any work done as soon as you get it. Preferably have the dealership not even TOUCH your car. All their equipment makes it worse that will need a paint correction.

I'm getting mine ceramic coated and paint corrected and polished within days of getting it. (whenever that is)

• Like x 1
  12. akidesir

akidesir Member

I can see many tint shops and PPF places being swamped in the next few weeks.

13. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

You definitely want to make sure that if you go with XPEL you go to a reputable installer. You can find licensed installers on XPEL's website.

14. Muskol

Muskol Member

I plan to DIY an Xpel install, will do decontamination and paint correction myself as well if required. Will see how it goes, the way I look at it, I have 3-4 attempts before I reach cost parity to a pro install! I look for forward to the experience.

• Like x 2
  15. pmich80

And then you can do mine on the 5th attempt when you've perfected it and recoup some of your costs... Thanks for volunteering

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  16. ajintor

ajintor Member

Yes, I am planning a DIY as well. Wash, claybar, polish and am using Gyeon MOHS for ceramic coating. Will see how it goes.

• Like x 1
  17. Muskol

Muskol Member

No problem, I'm a team player, and there's no 'I' in PPF.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  18. Hawesome

Hawesome Member

Anyone suggest a reputable business that can install the 3M wrap on my Model S?

19. pmich80

• Like x 1
  20. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

I did mine at SRS Tints but I did not get a full wrap, I did their "gold" package.

I thought they did a good job. It wasn't "perfect" as I have a few small bubbles around the front bumper, but the hood, mirrors and trunk strip were done perfectly.