Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating vs wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've read so far:
1. Ceramic Coat keeps your car looking clean (bird poop, and small debris comes off easily), but it is NOT protection against paint chipping from small rocks and such hitting your car. These are generally cheaper (srstinting from Mississsauga does this for $1500 for 4 coats on your entire car with lifetime warranty). It also makes your car look nice and shiny.

2. PPF wrap costs much more, and depends on the material you pick, generally XPEL, 3M Pro, and SunTek are considered the best options to choose. XPEL seems to have the best warranty. Just to get the front side done (full hood, bumper, etc.) seemed to be quoted for about $1500 as well on srstinting's site, but this may vary (not sure if the quotes on the site are accurate for all cars). Full body wrap was about $4500 IIRC. But this protects you from paint damage, but not against stuff like dents (e.g. someone hitting their door into your car).

Interesting, thanks. Does the wrap/coating need to be applied right after delivery? I've read that there are paint correction services, in which case, can it be done later? I'm assuming the longer the wait, it's not going to be as good?

What's the difference between ceramic coating vs wrap? When is one preferred over the other?

For protection, there is no doubt a PPF is the way to go. I did mine at SRS Tints and they did a good job.

If a full wrap is outside of your budget, you can get a 3M wrap for $1,500 that really gets most of the trouble spots. Paint Protection Film

I ended up choosing 3M over Xpel and Suntek because at the time, I thought it offered a bit better protection.

From what I've read so far:
1. Ceramic Coat keeps your car looking clean (bird poop, and small debris comes off easily), but it is NOT protection against paint chipping from small rocks and such hitting your car. These are generally cheaper (srstinting from Mississsauga does this for $1500 for 4 coats on your entire car with lifetime warranty). It also makes your car look nice and shiny.

does the $1500 include paint correction, wash, etc?

It's best to get any work done as soon as you get it. Preferably have the dealership not even TOUCH your car. All their equipment makes it worse that will need a paint correction.

I'm getting mine ceramic coated and paint corrected and polished within days of getting it. (whenever that is)

Reactions: akidesir
You definitely want to make sure that if you go with XPEL you go to a reputable installer. You can find licensed installers on XPEL's website.

I plan to DIY an Xpel install, will do decontamination and paint correction myself as well if required. Will see how it goes, the way I look at it, I have 3-4 attempts before I reach cost parity to a pro install! I look for forward to the experience.

I plan to DIY an Xpel install, will do decontamination and paint correction myself as well if required. Will see how it goes, the way I look at it, I have 3-4 attempts before I reach cost parity to a pro install! I look for forward to the experience.
And then you can do mine on the 5th attempt when you've perfected it and recoup some of your costs... Thanks for volunteering