Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating vs wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone suggest a reputable business that can install the 3M wrap on my Model S?
what's the thinking behind 'wrapping' the car in another color? I guess I get it if it's an odd color, but some people have recently posted about wrapping satin white over a black paint. I saw the most wonderful colour on a Model 3 yesterday. Someone wrapped their M3 in an amazing looking blue chrome. I put 3M Autobond on a Mercedes S-class in 2001 and it still looks like it rolled off the showroom floor save a pebble mark or two on the upper hood, which was easily addressed with a dab of touch-up paint. The full coverage wrap will keep your paint in pristine condition, and it adds a new level of dimensional to the factory color.
Sorry for suggest, but here: Best Ceramic Coating for Cars 2019 (Truth About Car Paint Protection) you can read a great article about Ceramic coating. I found this when I'm searching about ceramic coating. I hope it will be helpful for you.

F9E3C580-D3EA-4E39-BA5E-10EF20208B1E.jpeg
I wrapped mine the day I got it...

But I have a PPF business, I have never done more then front end on my personal cars but for my M3 I went for it .

Did full hood fenders lights mirrors rockers rear bumper roof pillars but then wanted to drive the car so I will do the doors trunk and rear quarters in the next week or so.

The only drawback to PPF is paying for it :)

Aside from that Tesla paint looks better with it, covers many of the little flaws they all have. No worryabout scratches , dings, bird poop...

I love it, perfect original paint indefinitely.

I have used fully PPF and Xpel on Tesla model 3. I'd like to say thanks to Alex ( From VIP CAR-PROTECTION) for taking care of my car. I have done full PPF on my Tesla Model 3 / Cermaing Coating. I could not ask for any better. Alex, walked me through his products that going to be used on my car (Xpel for ppf, and ceramic pro for cermaic Coating) . Sending me pics of my car with the progress was made on the car. Very professional, and patient. As per my shopping around, his price rate very comptitivie compare to what I got from other installers. I strongly would recommend Alex to my friends, also I will be back in the future for refreshment / maintence on my cermaic Coating.

Attachments

• IMG_20190706_094854.jpg
    IMG_20190706_094854.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: madmax240
Just to chime in for people considering either, I'd say wrapping the front is a must. I am 50,000km and 14 months in and I have a few fairly significant spots on the front where the PPF has taken a stone chip - it actually looks a little ugly but these would have been major chunks out of the bumper paint. Well worth it.

Assuming others have had the same experience, how often do you replace the front wrap once there's a few dings in there? Because it's plastic it tends to look a little messier than chips you would touch up on paint.

It depends on where you live , how bad the roads are and how you drive.

50000km in 14 months is a lot of mileage.

The nice thing is you can chance one section as needed...

Clients of mine who have a lot of damage when being honest they admit they like to draft trucks for range ...doesn’t help!

you do not need to replace the ppf once its installed. however, you may consider going back and apply Ceramic Pro Vinyl for refreshment. that should remove the chips you have on the top of the warp

Er... you haven't seen the front of my car - a few stones have lifted small chunks of the plastic. I don't mind too much but sooner or later I will get it replaced because it just looks a bit crappy.

Totally agree. Got expel only and after three months, it looks so nice after a wash.
4500 here in Ottawa - whole car, front lights and mirrors. And inside the bottom doors too.
I had I Expel installed on both my Model S and Model X by a certified installer in northern Ohio within a 3 to 7 day period after acquiring the vehicles. I had the Expel placed from the rear doors to the front fender plus A pillars, mirrors, rocker panels and all wheel wells. This has protected from roadway stone chips of the paint and protected the paint from UV light rays for a guaranteed period of 10 yrs (Expel warranty). I really can't believe anyone would not protect an investment of this value with a cheaper product.

That's a bit pricey. I bought the Xpel wrap myself and did the front hood for $150. For Tesla owners, putting Xpel wrap on yourself is quite easy to do. DM if you want some tips and pointers on how to DIY. I did the whole front, all the doors myself.

This the package I got here in Toronto compare to other installers price rate.
packege is:
Full body Xpel Ultimate Plus paint protection film
Ceramic Pro life time warranty on PPF surfaces + Ceramic Pro rain on windshield warranty 6-12 months.
Window Tinting XPEL XR Plus all around
I paid $4500 for it and I think it can Not get any cheaper than this if you looking for professional safe installer to work on your car.

Reactions: akidesir
This the package I got here in Toronto compare to other installers price rate.
packege is:
Full body Xpel Ultimate Plus paint protection film
Ceramic Pro life time warranty on PPF surfaces + Ceramic Pro rain on windshield warranty 6-12 months.
Window Tinting XPEL XR Plus all around
I paid $4500 for it and I think it can Not get any cheaper than this if you looking for professional safe installer to work on your car.

What is included on the life time warranty? What scenarios would you file a claim?

I'm curious because I know ceramic coatings don't last a lifetime. I have used several coatings that last between 1-5 years.

To clear up some things for y'all...
  • Ceramic coating makes the Tesla paint or clear bra easy to clean
  • Clear Bra protects the vehicle from rock chips, scratches etc... and has a self healing surface to a degree from normal car washing for example
  • Yes, a person without experience can likely do the full hood albeit that's a small portion of the vehicle to do and the fenders, front bumper, mirrors along with most other areas is likely beyond what most would ever be able to accomplish to any margin of success
  • A ceramic coating isn't going to hide or cover any chips on the Tesla paint or clear bra let alone even covering minor scratching. It's polishing that gets rid of minor swirl marks and scratches, not the ceramic coating for the most part
  • When they say lifetime or 5 year warranty be sure to read into what this means as one drive through a car wash and the warranty is generally void. Being realistic you'll get 1-3 years of hydrophobic tendencies and ease of cleaning depending on how much you drive, where you park and how you wash the vehicle along with how often you use a boost product to keep it alive so to speak
  • Yes, if you have clear bra for example on the front and ceramic on the rest there will be a difference years down the road as one are will likely look like new whereas the area without clear bra will likely have at minimum swirls marks, holograms and light scratching
  • Certainly, no question that the best time to do your Tesla is the day it's picked up. Although it can be done anytime, but preferable it's done before the sandblasting and rock chips add up
  • IF, you're covering the whole vehicle with clear bra paint protection film, there's in most all circumstance no need to do any polishing aka color correction as any minor swirl marks etc... will all disappear when the film is put on
  • Generally, at least on the wet west coast it's uncommon for anyone to replace the clear bra barring an accident or you're extremely picky and having a couple puckers on the film bothers you. This said, in more winter climates it may be something you'd do, but again depending on the level of pickiness you have as a majority will accept that the clear bra has done it's job as a sacraficial layer preventing damage to the paint
We are here to help any of the Greater Vancouver Tesla owners with their installations be it clear bra, window tinting, ceramic coating or detailing services, as we've been doing this now for 17 years. Please have a look at our Tesla Vancouver Clear Bra website as well if you have the time.

To clear up some things for y'all...
  • Ceramic coating makes the Tesla paint or clear bra easy to clean
  • Clear Bra protects the vehicle from rock chips, scratches etc... and has a self healing surface to a degree from normal car washing for example
  • Yes, a person without experience can likely do the full hood albeit that's a small portion of the vehicle to do and the fenders, front bumper, mirrors along with most other areas is likely beyond what most would ever be able to accomplish to any margin of success
  • A ceramic coating isn't going to hide or cover any chips on the Tesla paint or clear bra let alone even covering minor scratching. It's polishing that gets rid of minor swirl marks and scratches, not the ceramic coating for the most part
  • When they say lifetime or 5 year warranty be sure to read into what this means as one drive through a car wash and the warranty is generally void. Being realistic you'll get 1-3 years of hydrophobic tendencies and ease of cleaning depending on how much you drive, where you park and how you wash the vehicle along with how often you use a boost product to keep it alive so to speak
  • Yes, if you have clear bra for example on the front and ceramic on the rest there will be a difference years down the road as one are will likely look like new whereas the area without clear bra will likely have at minimum swirls marks, holograms and light scratching
  • Certainly, no question that the best time to do your Tesla is the day it's picked up. Although it can be done anytime, but preferable it's done before the sandblasting and rock chips add up
  • IF, you're covering the whole vehicle with clear bra paint protection film, there's in most all circumstance no need to do any polishing aka color correction as any minor swirl marks etc... will all disappear when the film is put on
  • Generally, at least on the wet west coast it's uncommon for anyone to replace the clear bra barring an accident or you're extremely picky and having a couple puckers on the film bothers you. This said, in more winter climates it may be something you'd do, but again depending on the level of pickiness you have as a majority will accept that the clear bra has done it's job as a sacraficial layer preventing damage to the paint
We are here to help any of the Greater Vancouver Tesla owners with their installations be it clear bra, window tinting, ceramic coating or detailing services, as we've been doing this now for 17 years. Please have a look at our Tesla Vancouver Clear Bra website as well if you have the time.
Can you tell me as a professional. Does it matter what ceramic is going on the car as well .a lot of installers in gta are saying this is better than this .

Reason asking I am in market for a full front end ppf and ceramic.everywhere i call they give me quotes for either feynlab which they are saying isn't that good and almost all of them saying ceramic pro is better .