Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating - worth the cost?

Would you pay to have ceramic coating applied to your Tesla by a professional car detailer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about having ceramic coasting applied to my Model Y by a professional car detailer. The cost is $1,300 for exterior and includes the wheels. That’s seem like a good price compared to other shops I have called. What’s the general opinion about ceramic coasting, is it worth? I plan to keep my car at least 5 years, so thinking it’s worth the investment to protect the finish.

I also recommend it if you can afford it. It made car washing so much faster and easier. Sometimes I can just hose the car down and all of the road dirt and tar just falls off.
The front bumper and the body panels behind each of the wheels are much easier to clean now. Before on previous cars I would need to really work to get the road tar off the body panels.

Now I just use water and it slides right off. If it is a little stubborn coming off, a little foamed up car shampoo and it slides off.

The extra shine these ceramic coats give is addicting too.

Apply it yourself. Doesn’t take specialized skill like a wrap or PPF. Just watch a few vids on cleaning/prep and save the $$$. Really just like washing and waxing at home plus some extra attention to detail. Do NOT expect ceramic to protect the paint. Think of it like a longer lasting wax, which also makes washing easier if you use a decent hard wax. If you want protection, though, get PPF. Just my opinion.

Thinking about having ceramic coasting applied to my Model Y by a professional car detailer. The cost is $1,300 for exterior and includes the wheels. That’s seem like a good price compared to other shops I have called. What’s the general opinion about ceramic coasting, is it worth? I plan to keep my car at least 5 years, so thinking it’s worth the investment to protect the finish.
CC is good only if plan to keep it as a garage queen. CC offers no protection from the elements such as rock chips and such. $1,300 is kind of high for just the exterior with paint correction.

Reactions: TallTexGuy
I did 2 coats of Avalon King ceramic upon purchase. Total cost including their IPA prep spray and a bottle of maintenance booster was under $100. Easy DIY job and it's still holding up great a year later after many (40+) trips through a high quality car wash. My MYP is my daily, so it'll get washed at the place down the street, it's not a show car. Now my Porsche gets the hand wash treatment when needed...