Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating worth the $?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting for delivery of 2021, LR, AWD in MSM. I am going to have Xpel PPF installed on the front 1/3 of the car. I keep cars an average of 10 years. Attached are some pics of the 2003 Lexus IS300 I just sold with 102K miles. It was always garaged and once a year it got clayed and waxed. Is Ceramic worth $495?
IMG-0623.jpg
IMG-0620.jpg
IMG-0623.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-0618.jpg
    IMG-0618.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 156
if you have the money to spend, sure.

IMO if you are into DIY - not everyone is:

I would just do it myself.

NO you do not need to go into that crazy detail level that all detailers swear by. It's just upselling.
Just simple wash and get yourself a clay bar with soap and get at it.
Buy a ceramic from Amazon and please avoid the cheapest one. Among the cheapest ones, they are fake ceramic.

Real easy to do. Coming from a guy who does private detailing work.
Just about any car you can name, I've worked on it.

Reactions: Callawayc7
$500 isn't a bad price, but at that price will the guy just slap it on with only a single light coat?

If you wash & clay bar your own car, then applying ceramic coating isn't going to be difficult. Check out some videos on how to apply it, and just make sure you're going across the panels evenly, in both directions (up/down and left/right). Ceramic coating bottles doesn't cost too much, and you can probably do 2-3 coats on a big size sedan with a single bottle. Save yourself $450 and apply it yourself.

But overall, the pros definitely outweigh any cons of having ceramic coating on your car.

Waiting for delivery of 2021, LR, AWD in MSM. I am going to have Xpel PPF installed on the front 1/3 of the car. I keep cars an average of 10 years. Attached are some pics of the 2003 Lexus IS300 I just sold with 102K miles. It was always garaged and once a year it got clayed and waxed. Is Ceramic worth $495?View attachment 617090 View attachment 617089 View attachment 617090
By the looks of your old car you should be the one giving the advice on upkeep. Do whatever you did to keep that lexus looking new!

Anyone that actually owns clay bars and uses them regularly has the needed skill-set to do their own ceramic coating. Also, as very obviously demonstrated by the OP, ceramic coating is not necessary with consistent cleaning regiment. Save the money and diy or do exactly what you did on the Lexus.

Is Ceramic worth $495?

I think the answer put simply is "it depends on your personal preference".

IMO, there are two reasons to get a ceramic coating:

1) If you do not enjoy doing the work to keep your car clean and protected (i.e. washing your car frequently and applying sealants or waxes) and you want to maintain your paint with less effort, then a ceramic coating is for you. If you enjoy washing your car and applying paint protection products on a regular basis, you can protect your paint just fine without a ceramic coating (as you demonstrated wtih your Lexus).

2) If you want to do all you can to protect your car's paint and it really bothers you if your paint gets scratched, swirled or damaged, then again a ceramic coating may be for you.

Lastly, keep in mind that the way a car looks after getting a ceramic coating has a lot to do with how the paint is prepped before the coating is even applied. Does the $495 include machine paint correction or polishing? Yes, you can apply a ceramic coating as a DIY project, but for the paint to really look stellar, the paint needs to be as contaminant and swirl free as possible. Even a brand new car will likely need at least a polish and an IPA wipedown before applying the coating.

i was hesitant as well in getting it since it wasn't a cheap job to do. mine came out to $1150 with the 3 year package along with a 1 step polish job.

i feel a lot more confident after it and don't have to worry about car washes etc. there have been times where i haven't washed the car in weeks and it still looks great. just throw on a little quick detail and it looks brand new.

The material is not expensive, what's so expensive is the labour.

If it is a Japanese or German new car, sure go ahead and spend $500 on it without a blink, you won't be disappointed. Our cars are different, a lot of paint imperfection from the factory and you can't simply just apply the coating on the car without polishing. I would suggest you to speak with the shop first and let them examine the hours that need to be done.

I paid $500 for mine and it came out shitty with hairline scratches sealed underneath the coating, whereas over a $1000 package from other shop came out like show car. It's your bet, you get what you paid for.

Reactions: arie21014
Finished product after 24 hour cure time. I also coated the white leather with leather shield by gyeon and the dash by gtechniq

Attachments

• E349521D-4A62-48C3-BB4C-ABA3BB0EB510.jpeg
    E349521D-4A62-48C3-BB4C-ABA3BB0EB510.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 3D91B4B6-081D-4964-AC5B-8267C41CFAF4.jpeg
    3D91B4B6-081D-4964-AC5B-8267C41CFAF4.jpeg
    737.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 997D261A-8BF6-4E0F-8061-CE15AA0AB29F.jpeg
    997D261A-8BF6-4E0F-8061-CE15AA0AB29F.jpeg
    612.6 KB · Views: 111
DIY for the win...ceramic coating or spray on ceramic, or some of the new graphene products. Stick with a reputable brand and you can’t go wrong. If you decide to go for a proper ceramic coating I wouldnt waste time on Amazon. I’d go through detailed image or autopia...

you’ll be impressed with the meguiars ceramic wax you can get at Walmart, or turtle wax seal and shine even.

if the car is new, run your hand along it. If it feels rough at all, clay bar. Or one of the newer hybrid clay products.
Hit it with a strong light, any swirls/scratches? Polish them out. Then seal. It will be gorgeous.

stay away from graphene related products. its complete bs marketing.

graphene is black, if the product comes out clear its fake.

Although there are some car care products on the market that are overpriced and overhyped (F-11 is one example), I think it is a gross overgeneralization to say all graphene products are “bs”. Graphene products are very new and will develop further for sure, but 303 Graphene appears to be legit.

Btw, 303 is black in color, but the new Turtle Wax Graphene Liquid Wax and Flexwax are light in color even they they do contain Graphene.

Even though this is posted on a site that sells 303, this review was done by Mike Phillips, a very respected guy in the detailing community:

303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating How-To & Review By Mike Phillips

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Do it yourself, it’s comically easy. I was intimidated by how much shops charge for it and it gave me the impression it required a significant skill or technique. It just takes patience. I got a ceramic kit from a reputable company and went to town. Took me about 4 hours and some beer. It has made the in between quick washes far faster as the dirt comes off with little effort. So worth the 30 I spent on it

ceramic makes it easier to clean. It doesn't make your car immune to dirt.

I did mine myself. Cquartz off amazon was $65. Still 100% two years later. I was hoping for 3 years before I need to apply again but since my car has been in the garage for almost all of 2020, I bet it goes quite a ways longer.

PS: the 3 years estimate is just how long it had to last for me to have been happy with it.