Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating - Yes or No

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know if the Makita DPO600 (Random Orbit Polisher LXT) is a DA? I can see a DA Makita on Amazon for >£800 but it is mains powered and I know I'd cause more damage with the lead than I'd fix with the polisher... I have a bunch of LXT batteries, and the only other LXT polisher I can see is the DPV300 Sander/Polisher.
They're similar. You can pick up a DA for less than £90. Paint correction requires some care to be taken. If you can't manage it without dragging the cable over that paintwork then get someone else to do it.
I wish I saw this before buying a black one...
See post #23 in this thread ;)
Do tesla offer PPF application as a paid service option, or can anyone recommend someone who can do it near Glasgow?
Not that I'm aware of. Try detailing world.co.uk for PPF recommendations. Teslas ain't that special.

Do you know if the Makita DPO600 (Random Orbit Polisher LXT) is a DA? I can see a DA Makita on Amazon for >£800 but it is mains powered and I know I'd cause more damage with the lead than I'd fix with the polisher... I have a bunch of LXT batteries, and the only other LXT polisher I can see is the DPV300 Sander/Polisher.

Do tesla offer PPF application as a paid service option, or can anyone recommend someone who can do it near Glasgow?
Random Orbital is a DA polisher, DA stands for Dual Action (The pad rotates and vibrates) - which is the same as random orbital. mains powered for me is better due to the sheer time polishing - but if battery works for you that's fine.

My car is white but that's my preferred colour with a Tesla, Two Porsche's though previously which were both black, I absolutely adore black cars to polish - nothing looks better than a deep wet look black, fabulous - just that they show every speck of dust and get dirty so quickly.

PPF - you will find someone local as its available everywhere, personally, if your having a go at detailing and have a DA - and dependant on the type of roads you drive and mileage - if you get the odd chip then the Chipex kit will fill them in so they are virtually invisible and a quick mop with the DA over the touch ins then only you will know they are there, however, if you suffer lots of chips then PPF the front and get colour coded mud flaps to protect the leading edge of the wheel arch and the sills.
For the polishing with a DA all you need is time - I joke that you could set your polisher going in the one spot and go for a cup of tea and by the time you came back you still wont have caused any damage - they are quite slow to polish up but a complete novice couldn't help but do a good job with one - use Meguires 80 glaze as your compound and any soft polishing pad - you don't need to spend big money on pads, once polished, buff off the dried compound with a detail spray like "Last Touch" then buff, apply wax and buff as soon as the wax starts to dry - BEWARE - this detailing lark is addictive.

Reactions: Aqueum
Brilliant, thanks @GlynG.

Perhaps slightly off topic, but what cleaning products do you use? Reading the manual was rather scary... Tesla don't have any product recommendations, just lots of ingredients to avoid. I contacted Autoglym who were extremely helpful: reading through the manual & making a number of recommendations. I nearly bought:
  1. Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner
  2. Super Resin Polish Complete Kit
  3. Essential Interior Kit
  4. Hi-Tech Aqua-Dry
  5. Hi-Tech Interior Microfibre
But then I tried to check these with Tesla support and they said that the Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner contained hydroxide which is prohibited by the manual (then the chat was cut off). That was the only pressure-washer compatible shampoo Autoglym thought was Tesla compatible. They also recommended their Foaming Car Wash and UHD Shampoo if hand washing. The former also mentions hydroxides in its SDS, but the latter doesn't. I don't believe that the presence of a hydroxide matters as long as it is balanced with acids to give an overall neutral pH - but I'd rather not use anything that isn't 100% compliant with the manual...

I see that @GlynG recommends R222, @Whyone finds Zymol lasts longer, @BitJam & @Bootneckshuffl go for Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax with Gtechniq C2 over the top. @zoomer0056 uses Halo ceramic. @JSKO recommends ceramic or Uno Advanced for DIYers. @MrBadger & @init6 use Autoglym Polar Seal & @mitch uses their ceramic kit. Autoglym said to me "As the info provided by Tesla stipulates a wax as the only reference for protection it would be best to speak directly to Tesla regarding any other forms of protection."

But what Tesla-manual-compliant:
  1. Shampoo
  2. Window cleaner
  3. Upholstery cleaner
  4. Vegan chamoise
  5. Microfibre
...do the experts here recommend?

Nip over to detailing world - you'll learn a lot more over there.
Again, there is nothing special about Tesla paint/glass. The only thing weird is the faux leather seats. Most people use water based wet wipes. Use the search function for more recommendations.
Oh, and don't use a chamois to dry your car unless you want to use the DA every week :)

Tesla paint is the same as any other modern car paint - its water based and a clear coat - the clear coat is what gives the shine and is what you are polishing. I've never looked at what Tesla say you should or shouldn't use - so i use what Ive grown into over the years and know works without any complications or issues.
I used for years Zymol Vintage wax and at £2400 a pot you think it would be astounding in both shine, protection and durability - just my observations R222 does exactly the same job for £55 a pot and has been my wax of choice for quite a few years now but everyone has their own preference.
Shampoo - pretty much anything I can buy by the gallon that is specifically a car shampoo - never pay more than £10 to £15 for it - its not on long before its rinsed off, I've never used snow foam but most swear by the stuff.
For quick detailing in-between washes I use "Last Touch" about £35 a US gallon but you can dilute this without any loss of performance.
Polishing compound - always Meguires, 105 for aggressive cut, 80 for standard cut and 105 for super fine cut - followed by R222
Auto Glym SRP is good for scratches as its very abrasive, it contains fillers so tends to cover up light scratches but its only temporary - but good for use by hand in difficult to get to places and shift the dirt - like doing the wheels and callipers - and then R222 afterwards
Glass - I use AutoGlym Fast Glass.
I have the white interior and use water wipes - if I get some jeans blue transfer I tend to use a bit of cream cleaner on a water wipe - this gets any stubborn dirt out - then wipe over with a fresh water wipe - Also twice per year use Meguires Leather Balm on the seats and door cards.
Rubber Seals around doors, boot lid, bonnet I use Gummie Pledge.
Microfibres for everything pretty much, though I'm old school and use a proper leather to dry the car - and not a fake simulated leather.
Wheel wax for the wheels and a wet look spray for the tyres - Meguires Ultimate tyre shine - If you like shiny black tyres nothing else comes close to this product

Brilliant, thanks @GlynG.

Perhaps slightly off topic, but what cleaning products do you use? Reading the manual was rather scary... Tesla don't have any product recommendations, just lots of ingredients to avoid. I contacted Autoglym who were extremely helpful: reading through the manual & making a number of recommendations. I nearly bought:
  1. Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner
  2. Super Resin Polish Complete Kit
  3. Essential Interior Kit
  4. Hi-Tech Aqua-Dry
  5. Hi-Tech Interior Microfibre
But then I tried to check these with Tesla support and they said that the Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner contained hydroxide which is prohibited by the manual (then the chat was cut off). That was the only pressure-washer compatible shampoo Autoglym thought was Tesla compatible. They also recommended their Foaming Car Wash and UHD Shampoo if hand washing. The former also mentions hydroxides in its SDS, but the latter doesn't. I don't believe that the presence of a hydroxide matters as long as it is balanced with acids to give an overall neutral pH - but I'd rather not use anything that isn't 100% compliant with the manual...

I see that @GlynG recommends R222, @Whyone finds Zymol lasts longer, @BitJam & @Bootneckshuffl go for Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax with Gtechniq C2 over the top. @zoomer0056 uses Halo ceramic. @JSKO recommends ceramic or Uno Advanced for DIYers. @MrBadger & @init6 use Autoglym Polar Seal & @mitch uses their ceramic kit. Autoglym said to me "As the info provided by Tesla stipulates a wax as the only reference for protection it would be best to speak directly to Tesla regarding any other forms of protection."

But what Tesla-manual-compliant:
  1. Shampoo
  2. Window cleaner
  3. Upholstery cleaner
  4. Vegan chamoise
  5. Microfibre
...do the experts here recommend?
I'm more of a newb than an expert but one product I can recommend is Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner. I bought it for conditioning the door seals but I've found several other uses for it.

I use it to clean and protect my tires (from the hot New Mexico sun). I drive less than most and my sidewalls tend to crack before the tread wears out. It takes just a few minutes to apply it to all four tires. I use it every time I wash the car which I do every week or two. I'm hoping my tires will last long enough for the tread to wear down.

The best thing though is I use it to renew my black Tesmanian floor mats. After I wash and clean the mats there is still some white/grey discoloration. This product makes them look brand new. What I like least about it (although some may like this) is it has a strong smell, almost like a new car smell. It dissipates quickly outside and mostly dissipates overnight inside the car so it hasn't really been an issue.

Tesla paint is the same as any other modern car paint - its water based and a clear coat - the clear coat is what gives the shine and is what you are polishing. I've never looked at what Tesla say you should or shouldn't use - so i use what Ive grown into over the years and know works without any complications or issues.
I used for years Zymol Vintage wax and at £2400 a pot you think it would be astounding in both shine, protection and durability - just my observations R222 does exactly the same job for £55 a pot and has been my wax of choice for quite a few years now but everyone has their own preference.
Shampoo - pretty much anything I can buy by the gallon that is specifically a car shampoo - never pay more than £10 to £15 for it - its not on long before its rinsed off, I've never used snow foam but most swear by the stuff.
For quick detailing in-between washes I use "Last Touch" about £35 a US gallon but you can dilute this without any loss of performance.
Polishing compound - always Meguires, 105 for aggressive cut, 80 for standard cut and 105 for super fine cut - followed by R222
Auto Glym SRP is good for scratches as its very abrasive, it contains fillers so tends to cover up light scratches but its only temporary - but good for use by hand in difficult to get to places and shift the dirt - like doing the wheels and callipers - and then R222 afterwards
Glass - I use AutoGlym Fast Glass.
I have the white interior and use water wipes - if I get some jeans blue transfer I tend to use a bit of cream cleaner on a water wipe - this gets any stubborn dirt out - then wipe over with a fresh water wipe - Also twice per year use Meguires Leather Balm on the seats and door cards.
Rubber Seals around doors, boot lid, bonnet I use Gummie Pledge.
Microfibres for everything pretty much, though I'm old school and use a proper leather to dry the car - and not a fake simulated leather.
Wheel wax for the wheels and a wet look spray for the tyres - Meguires Ultimate tyre shine - If you like shiny black tyres nothing else comes close to this product
Excellent, thanks @GlynG while I agree with you and @init6 that there's nothing special about Tesla paint. I do however think there is something special with their Owners Manual and its ban on hydroxides, washing mitts, silicones for interiors, window treatments, chemical based wheel cleaners or pre-wash products, etc. They may have a point with the cameras, and Zymöl's ION story seems to suggest EVs as a whole are special. Given my, as yet undiagnosed, neuro-atypacy, I'm really struggling with the dissonance between the Manual and common sense & expert advice that always seems to conflict with it...

I therefore contacted Autoglym, Meguiar’s, p21s and Zymöl to ask them to review the Owners Manual and recommend compliant products. Autoglym seemed to do the best job of sticking to the letter of the the Manual so I have purchased the following:
  1. Autoglym Ultra High Definition Shampoo (SDS)
  2. Autoglym The Collection - Perfect Interiors (Interior Shampoo, Fast Glass, Vinyl & Rubber Care)
  3. Autoglym Hi-Tech Aqua-Dry Chamois
  4. Autoglym Hi-Tech Interior Microfibre Towel and 20 more affordable Microfiber Cloths and Microfibre Screen Cloths I figure the issue with Microfibre cloths is more one of scratches from grit than anything particular to the cloth itself so reasoned that more (affordable) cloths with more changes were better than a few expensive branded cloths that need more reuse
  5. A Tyre Cleaning Brush and Detailing Brush Set
  6. A pair of 20L Transparent Buckets with Grit Guards
Thanks for the tyre suggestion @BitJam - heat isn't such an issue here in Scotland, but I did have a set of Michelin Energy's die of sidewall cracks over the Covid Lockdown. I guess it's not available in the States but hope Autoglym's Vinyl & Rubber Care does the same thing...

Last edited:

Try Mark at Brotek. He’s based in Lanark