Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid more than twice that for application of another brand. None lasts as long as advertised or works over time. In the end it's better to reapply cheap products from China often , than pay a premium for professional application with curing and all.

I just talked with installer. He mentioned the Crystal Serum Ultra will cost more, like like $1599.
You know, I understand the Tesla, especially Model S and X ,are expensive cars. But I never had the car that expensive before and I just don't mentally accept to pay that much money, so it will have a perfect shine and yes, paint protected sort of speak.
Maybe I need more time to accept it and to get used to it :(

Reactions: CBPfromTN
I did it myself and I had zero experience. I did it on a black car and thats supposed be most difficult as any flaw will show up. Spent about 180$ to cover the whole car with multiple coats and may be 7-8 hours of total effort (excluding car cleaning)

I have never done any kind of car paint related work nor any other car related work before but I dared to do it myself. It came out very nice for me ( I did this in March after driving around 3000 miles after buying my MS last August).

I had Xpel on whole front , Doors and Rockers through an XPEL provider some time back.

Temperature in my Garage maintained around 65F.

Steps:
Thorough foam cleaning.
Decontaminate the surface using Iron X and little of Tar-x and then cleaned the wheels for ceramic coat. Used microfiber towel for wiping to avoid making scratch.
Paint Correction for the whole rear and the fenders and came out very nice and no scratches were visible , no circular pattern anymore (had lot of minor scratches when i started correction). Paint correction took me 2-3 hours using Random Orbital polisher. prepped the surface properly i.e cleaning
Prep Surface
Apply coating first layer (CSL for Paint surface, C1 CL for Venyls/XPEL surface
Apply C5 Wheel Armour on Wheels
Apply EXO Coating first layer and 2nd layer(where needed)

For Paint portion I used 30 ml Gtechnic Crystal serum Lite (30% remaining in the bottle) . I used Gtechniq panel wipe to clean and prep.
For the Xpel I used half bottle of Isopropyl to clean the surface and then used C1 Crystal Lacquer - Needed whole 30 ml (used this wherever I had xpel)

Did coat the wheels with Gtechniq C5 wheel Armour (to utilize the wait time)

Did Gtechniq EXO coating panel by panel (after 3.5 hours of the CSL/CL application) went over whole body (needed 60% of 50 ML bottle).

I did multiple coat of EXO for the front (after 20 minutes of first coat)

Coating time needed-
Duration 7 hours with 2 hrs gap. I did this work in my cramped garage and not much light so took a bit more time.
Kept the car in garage for around 17 hours for curing before using it (I think Gtechniq says 3 hours needed)

Car looks amazing and beads water like crazy . I have never felt any car body that smooth. I have to do a wash and then I will see how much time I save in washing. I must have saved big

I must have spent around 180$ in all (i.e including a Polishing compound) including the Microfiber towels (from Costco and few from TJMax). You need lot of microfiber towels for this work.

If you have specific question mail me and I can share information.