Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering about that. Obviously the place down the road (Opticoat) is the most convenient, with a brand new vehicle and no dirt, but how to find what you recommend might be difficult without genuine recommendations.

I was wondering about that. Obviously the place down the road (Opticoat) is the most convenient, with a brand new vehicle and no dirt, but how to find what you recommend might be difficult without genuine recommendations.
I did opticoat on my first tesla. Very happy with it. On the latest one though I did G Tecniq crystal serum ultra. Its another level again better than opticoat.
If anyone proposes applying it to your car without a full wash and paint correction first, best avoid them. Your new car will have plenty of scratches that will unfortunately be very obvious under a decent light. Especially drivers side, probably from the port workers.
One option would be to ask G Tecniq or opticoat who is a fantastic small operator. They will know.
I chose mine because his website went into crazy levels of detail about the process, including when he would be using a new cloth. I then called him and the passion was obvious.
Also when you get it done, ask the detailer for some advice on the best cleaning products. He/she will likley steer you away from stuff at the retail shops, and indeed now that I have a slippery coating and the right chemicals and cloths, I can clean my tesla very quickly with minimal effort.....including the wheels.

Reactions: PaulW
I have done three cars (two Teslas and one Merc). All the cars are off street but without cover. It has been an excellent thing to do. All cars maintained their finish and looked excellent even after four years.

I plan on doing my new 3 when received.

I used Matt
0411562 704
He is at 4/51 Bourke Street
Alexandria

....near the new Tesla service location

Reactions: baillies
You might want to watch this video before going the ceramic coating way:
A video by the head of a company that makes car waxes. No surprises which way he goes.
I dont have time to constantly wax my cars and so they suffer, which is why I opted to ceramic coat my black tesla’s. With good cleaning habits, I dont have the scratching problem he is suggesting in the video. My first tesla was opticoat. I sold the car to a good friend so still see that car regularly. The opticoat is 4 years old and still looks fantastic, has had nothing more than irregular hand washes, and no other maintenance.
I’m a city dweller, however my friend lives in the hills and travels out into the countryside at least once per week (on sealed roads).
Scratches like in that video are just not there. Also, Opticoat machine polishes off, you dont sand it off like he suggests in the video. G-tecniq is harder to remove. It needs a more abrasive machine polish.
But, if you enjoy washing your car more often and enjoy a day of waxing every month or two, dont get a ceramic coating, go with wax.

Last edited:
I had my Model S fitted with partial PPF and Opticoat when new and the car is still looks terrific.
I had it done at Protect Auto Detailing and have found them very professional with reasonable prices.
He is located a 5 minute walk from Clyde railway station that makes it convenient for me to catch the train back to work in the city whenever I need to get something done.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
A video by the head of a company that makes car waxes. No surprises which way he goes.
I dont have time to constantly wax my cars and so they suffer, which is why I opted to ceramic coat my black tesla’s. With good cleaning habits, I dont have the scratching problem he is suggesting in the video. My first tesla was opticoat. I sold the car to a good friend so still see that car regularly. The opticoat is 4 years old and still looks fantastic, has had nothing more than irregular hand washes, and no other maintenance.
I’m a city dweller, however my friend lives in the hills and travels out into the countryside at least once per week (on sealed roads).
Scratches like in that video are just not there. Also, Opticoat machine polishes off, you dont sand it off like he suggests in the video. G-tecniq is harder to remove. It needs a more abrasive machine polish.

yes, I had the same thoughts. I certainly don't agree with a lot of his statements after having a coating on my car for 3 years now.

All very interesting!

I suppose no-one’s had a car done with each of the ceramic coatings and can compare them?
I’ve had a black model s done with opticoat and another done with g-techniq.
The former is really good- you wouldn’t be disappointed. The later is better but costs more. Its newer technology. Opticoat tends to bead water which can tend to leave a lot of little circles of contaminant. G-techniq is so slippery that everything just runs off, including dust, so the car looks cleaner for longer. Both are highly glossy and both will show the factory scratches so a lot of prep is necessary. Same amount of prep for either though. Light cars need less prep than dark cars. Having neither was a cleaning nightmare.

Reactions: Novatec
Purely personal amateur experience:

I've had three cars done with Opticoat (Audi, BMW and a Mazda), one of which lost its coat due to accident repair (Mazda), the other two have both been sold. Plus one car now with Gyeon Quartz (Volkswagen).

Opticoat was done by Elite Finish in Adelaide (Somerton Park). Gyeon done by Auto Perfection Detailing in Sydney (Hornsby). Both I'd recommend but Hamish at Elite Finish is a true perfectionist - great detailer.

The Opticoat beads water better, but the Quartz looks better. Both made the cars much easier to clean. With one car lacking coating, and one Gyeon if I wash the two together, then a couple of weeks later the no-coating car is much dirtier, and the water in the rinse bucket is distinctly filthier.

With the Opticoat especially on the BMW I would always finish a wash with some Red Mist. I don't need to do that with the Gyeon.

I can't speak to longevity, I sold the BMW and Audi at 4 years each and they were still going strong although not quite as resistant to insect/bird marks as when they were first coated.

I'll definitely do Gyeon Quartz again, and frankly I'd do Opticoat again if that was my only option, but I think for the ability to keep the car looking its best I'd pick the Gyeon.

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp
Purely personal amateur experience:

I've had three cars done with Opticoat (Audi, BMW and a Mazda), one of which lost its coat due to accident repair (Mazda), the other two have both been sold. Plus one car now with Gyeon Quartz (Volkswagen).

Opticoat was done by Elite Finish in Adelaide (Somerton Park). Gyeon done by Auto Perfection Detailing in Sydney (Hornsby). Both I'd recommend but Hamish at Elite Finish is a true perfectionist - great detailer.

The Opticoat beads water better, but the Quartz looks better. Both made the cars much easier to clean. With one car lacking coating, and one Gyeon if I wash the two together, then a couple of weeks later the no-coating car is much dirtier, and the water in the rinse bucket is distinctly filthier.

With the Opticoat especially on the BMW I would always finish a wash with some Red Mist. I don't need to do that with the Gyeon.

I can't speak to longevity, I sold the BMW and Audi at 4 years each and they were still going strong although not quite as resistant to insect/bird marks as when they were first coated.

I'll definitely do Gyeon Quartz again, and frankly I'd do Opticoat again if that was my only option, but I think for the ability to keep the car looking its best I'd pick the Gyeon.
That's a coincidence, I dropped in and spoke to a guy at Auto Perfection in Hornsby recently. He told me all about the Gyeon product. I like that it's Korean, I trust their technology.
My car is 3 years old and the paint on the nose has lots of little chips from rocks. I think it's not worth applying protection now. It's white and still looks great except for the chips. Always brushless carwash or very careful handwash.
My next car I will get a PPF for the nose and mirrors, and will get Gyeon Quartz depending on the colour I choose.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
I did opticoat on my first tesla. Very happy with it. On the latest one though I did G Tecniq crystal serum ultra. Its another level again better than opticoat.
If anyone proposes applying it to your car without a full wash and paint correction first, best avoid them. Your new car will have plenty of scratches that will unfortunately be very obvious under a decent light. Especially drivers side, probably from the port workers.
One option would be to ask G Tecniq or opticoat who is a fantastic small operator. They will know.
I chose mine because his website went into crazy levels of detail about the process, including when he would be using a new cloth. I then called him and the passion was obvious.
Also when you get it done, ask the detailer for some advice on the best cleaning products. He/she will likley steer you away from stuff at the retail shops, and indeed now that I have a slippery coating and the right chemicals and cloths, I can clean my tesla very quickly with minimal effort.....including the wheels.
Just had my X done with GTECHNIQ "Ultra" by a sole operator guy; very pleased with the "slippery finish". Highly recommended
67370703_1104673406400510_9124707244972179456_o.jpg

Reactions: Tension and Novatec