Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ceramic coated my car while I decide on whether or not to apply PPF to some or all of the vehicle. I'm in CA and it's a 2-year warranty with a one-year recoat application. Cost me $350 and it's been a breeze keeping it clean. Prior to this I had some bird poop damage that I had a hard time removing. The detail + ceramic coating helped provide me some piece of mind in case this happens again, it should not be a pain to remove.

I ceramic coated my car while I decide on whether or not to apply PPF to some or all of the vehicle. I'm in CA and it's a 2-year warranty with a one-year recoat application. Cost me $350 and it's been a breeze keeping it clean. Prior to this I had some bird poop damage that I had a hard time removing. The detail + ceramic coating helped provide me some piece of mind in case this happens again, it should not be a pain to remove.

Wow that’s pretty cheap! What price have others here paid? I’ve seen $700-$1500 or so.

Looking for some opinions on getting my model 3 ceramic coated, entire car windows and all.
Anyone have this done and is it worth it ?? Thanks
I had a CQuartz coating put on my car. It was expensive; so was it worth it? I think the answer is yes and no. It definitely makes it easier to clean the car and when it is cleaned it has an amazing shine, even a year later. Keep in mind though with a ceramic coating you cannot just take your car to a car wash, so you need to be ready to hand wash your car regularly, or pay for a hand wash at a place that uses the proper mild cleaners that won’t degrade the coating. Living in the Northeast, this can be tough during the winter months. Not sure if this helps you decide, but there are pluses and minuses.

I had a CQuartz coating put on my car. It was expensive; so was it worth it? I think the answer is yes and no. It definitely makes it easier to clean the car and when it is cleaned it has an amazing shine, even a year later. Keep in mind though with a ceramic coating you cannot just take your car to a car wash, so you need to be ready to hand wash your car regularly, or pay for a hand wash at a place that uses the proper mild cleaners that won’t degrade the coating. Living in the Northeast, this can be tough during the winter months. Not sure if this helps you decide, but there are pluses and minuses.

Sounds like wax, which is cheap and easy to do....

Tesla owners are keeping ceramic and ppf companies in business. Its very strange.

If you are one of those people like me that doesn't think ceramic coating benefits outweigh the downsides, which are many:

1) Very expensive to have a properly done job (paint correction, deep cleaning)
2) You have to tiptoe around your delicate ceramic coating to keep it nice (if you're following directions)
3) High maintenance of refreshing it regularly to keep it nice (if you're following directions)
4) Doesn't actually protect you from anything (e.g. you definitely can't go through a tough car wash with it, so if it can't protect you from a few brushes, what can it protect you from, definitely not rock chips!)

The only arguments for it are:

1) Look how shiny (that really comes from the paint correction, not the ceramic coating, and any inexpensive product will give you the shine on a properly corrected paint)
2) Look how easy to keep clean (many easy and inexpensive products will do that)
3) Don't have to wax it often (but still have to maintain the ceramic coating, if you're following directions)

If you want a super easy and inexpensive way to get most of the benefits of ceramic coating without any of the hassles, buy a gallon of Nanoshock:

https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-NA-..._1_3?keywords=nanoshock&qid=1579823762&sr=8-3

Put in a pump sprayer. Then wash your car, dry the car mostly, and then spray the entire car with Nanoshock and wipe it off.

That stuff will give you all the benefits of ceramic coating, and will last at least 6 months, and then you do it again in 6 months when you are washing the car. Remember, you're still washing cars with ceramic coating! Compared to a ceramic coating, the cost, easy of use, and maintenance, Nanoshock is ceramic coating killer.

If you want to go the extra mile, buy one of the Nanoskin special towels to quickly and easily "clay bar" the car after you spray the Nanoshock and before you dry it off:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CUAWEZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remember, if you have damaged paint that needs correction, ceramic coating does nothing for you. You have to use traditional polishing methods to correct the paint beforehand. Same deal with Nanoskin products.

I don't sell any car products, but I have just been amazed with how Nanoskin has changed the clay bar and the sealant game, but very few know about it.

If you are one of those people like me that doesn't think ceramic coating benefits outweigh the downsides, which are many:

2) You have to tiptoe around your delicate ceramic coating to keep it nice (if you're following directions)
3) High maintenance of refreshing it regularly to keep it nice (if you're following directions)
4) Doesn't actually protect you from anything (e.g. you definitely can't go through a tough car wash with it, so if it can't protect you from a few brushes, what can it protect you from, definitely not rock chips!)

1) Look how shiny (that really comes from the paint correction, not the ceramic coating, and any inexpensive product will give you the shine on a properly corrected paint)
2) Look how easy to keep clean (many easy and inexpensive products will do that)
3) Don't have to wax it often (but still have to maintain the ceramic coating, if you're following directions)

If you want a super easy and inexpensive way to get most of the benefits of ceramic coating without any of the hassles, buy a gallon of Nanoshock:

https://www.amazon.com/Nanoskin-NA-..._1_3?keywords=nanoshock&qid=1579823762&sr=8-3

Put in a pump sprayer. Then wash your car, dry the car mostly, and then spray the entire car with Nanoshock and wipe it off.

That stuff will give you all the benefits of ceramic coating, and will last at least 6 months, and then you do it again in 6 months when you are washing the car. Remember, you're still washing cars with ceramic coating! Compared to a ceramic coating, the cost, easy of use, and maintenance, Nanoshock is ceramic coating killer.

If you want to go the extra mile, buy one of the Nanoskin special towels to quickly and easily "clay bar" the car after you spray the Nanoshock and before you dry it off:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CUAWEZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remember, if you have damaged paint that needs correction, ceramic coating does nothing for you. You have to use traditional polishing methods to correct the paint beforehand. Same deal with Nanoskin products.

I don't sell any car products, but I have just been amazed with how Nanoskin has changed the clay bar and the sealant game, but very few know about it.

A co-worker that details cars on the side is trying to convince me of using the same thing. Might be different brand but he described the process exactly as you did.

Sounds like wax, which is cheap and easy to do....

Tesla owners are keeping ceramic and ppf companies in business. Its very strange.
I don’t know of any wax that lasts over three years. That’s how long the ceramic coating on my VW GTI lasted. Probably longer as I sold the car. This was also in New England and the car sat outside 24/7. Im sorry but if you think its like wax you have never had a car with a ceramic coating.

I feel pretty much the same way about all these way too expensive treatments. I do see an advantage of a good ceramic sealant on the windshield, but on the paint, not so much. It's a car, a tool (albeit a fun one) that takes me where I need to go. I don't need high chrome hydrophobic screwdrivers.

A scenario that comes to mind is that people are using these services (high cost ppf included) to justify to themselves the high price they paid for a car which has basically a sub par paint and finish quality (cue in the downvotes).

I feel pretty much the same way about all these way too expensive treatments. I do see an advantage of a good ceramic sealant on the windshield, but on the paint, not so much. It's a car, a tool (albeit a fun one) that takes me where I need to go. I don't need high chrome hydrophobic screwdrivers.

A scenario that comes to mind is that people are using these services (high cost ppf included) to justify to themselves the high price they paid for a car which has basically a sub par paint and finish quality (cue in the downvotes).
Each to his/her own. Personally i love my full stealth PPF and ceramic coating....
FAF53D3A-415B-4B54-9EAD-3152FEC8E808.jpeg

that video really highlights how silly ceramic coatings are when there are other products that give all the same benefits but are super inexpensive and are DIY without the risks

I disagree with you and think you are making a big overgeneralization. A ceramic coating is unique in that it has an insanely long durability and longevity. There are ceramic coatings that can last 4+ years. Most car waxes last a matter of weeks and most syntetic sealants last 4 or 5 months at the most.

Maintenance on a ceramic coating is not a big deal at all. The ceramic booster sprays, are super easy to apply and do not need to be applied all that frequently.

If you don't like the idea of a ceramic coating for your car, that is fine. But it might be a great product for someone with different needs and preferences to your own.

Reactions: BudgetPlan1
You’re not making a good argument here, and I think you’re drinking the cool aid and you are uneducated on the new alternatives.

As in the video, you need to mist ceramic coating with some enhancer every 4-6 washes. That could be every 2-4 months since you’re still washing cars. Products like Nanoshock are applied misting every 6 months or more, and give all the same benefits without all that upfront cost. Think about that for a couple minutes.

Try doing half a hood in ceramic coating and the other half in Nanoshock. No difference in benefits. None.

I agree you are allowed to throw your money away and shy away from better products, but don’t try to suppress the truth that the ceramic coating industry is a huge scam.

I disagree with you and think you are making a big overgeneralization. A ceramic coating is unique in that it has an insanely long durability and longevity. There are ceramic coatings that can last 4+ years. Most car waxes last a matter of weeks and most syntetic sealants last 4 or 5 months at the most.

Maintenance on a ceramic coating is not a big deal at all. The ceramic booster sprays, are super easy to apply and do not need to be applied all that frequently.

If you don't like the idea of a ceramic coating for your car, that is fine. But it might be a great product for someone with different needs and preferences to your own.

Not that I don't trust the shop that did my ceramic and ppf but how do you tell that your coating is still... Well... Effective? I got it coated literally the day I picked it up so I don't know any different. I will say that my expectation about just being able to hose the car off and dirt not sticking as much... Not so much. Below is a Pic of my car after the rain... Is the beading up like this indicative of a good ceramic coating?

Attachments

• 20200116_114259.jpg
    20200116_114259.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 98