Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re not making a good argument here, and I think you’re drinking the cool aid and you are uneducated on the new alternatives.

As in the video, you need to mist ceramic coating with some enhancer every 4-6 washes. That could be every 2-4 months since you’re still washing cars. Products like Nanoshock are applied misting every 6 months or more, and give all the same benefits without all that upfront cost. Think about that for a couple minutes.

Try doing half a hood in ceramic coating and the other half in Nanoshock. No difference in benefits. None.

I agree you are allowed to throw your money away and shy away from better products, but don’t try to suppress the truth that the ceramic coating industry is a huge scam.

I agree with you that some of the claims about ceramic coatings are overblown and plain false. And I agree with you that Nanoshock is a good polymer sealant and is offered at a great price point.

That said, if you take a look at the facts, you are misinformed. If you were to install Nanoshock on half a hood and a ceramic coating on the other half as you suggested, you would find that the ceramic coating side over the course of the next year or two would be much better protected by the ceramic coating. There is no polymer sealant on the market, even Nanoshock, that provides the same level of protection as a quality and properly installed ceramic coating.

If you also take a closer look at the ceramic boost spray that is recommended every 3 to 4 months, it's not like the ceramic coating will disappear without the boost maintenance. The ceramic coating will still provide a lot of protection with less frequent boost maintenance. The boost is required to continue to maximize the benefits of the ceramic coating. If you use the boost, the level of gloss will be outstanding. If you don't use the boost, the level of gloss will be slighly less.

You claim that Nanoshock provides 6 months of protection. That may be true, but I can also guarantee that Nanoshock also degrades over time. If you compare a panel with Nano shock on day one to the same panel 5 1/2 mpnths later, the level of gloss, hydrophobic properites, and protection will not be equal to day one. No sealant is capable of that, especially if the car is driven in an area with lots of rain, snow, and harsh weather.

Look, if you like Nanoshock and get the results you want, by all means continue to use it. I just think it is incorrect, and maybe even a bit rude, to judge those who prefer to use ceramic coatings as being silly, especially when your judgment is based on inaccurate info.

For more accurate info comparing ceramic coatings to sealants, here is a video from a detailer who is reputable and cuts through the bs:

Last edited:
Not that I don't trust the shop that did my ceramic and ppf but how do you tell that your coating is still... Well... Effective? I got it coated literally the day I picked it up so I don't know any different. I will say that my expectation about just being able to hose the car off and dirt not sticking as much... Not so much. Below is a Pic of my car after the rain... Is the beading up like this indicative of a good ceramic coating?

Yes.

Reactions: bigroo42
I just use those Meguiar’s hybrid ceramic wax. Not true cerealoc but think about this.
I’m Canada it cost 2k. Assuming it last for 5 years it’s 400-500 per year.
the Wax I use is just spray on and rinse. I can buy many of those bottles for 400 bucks. I wouldn’t mind spraying those on every time I wash my car. So far holding up well in Canadian winter. (Car is Only 2 months old tho)

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I try to be as fair and honest with our clients regarding various products. We do offer Ceramic Coatings, Paint Protection Film, Vehicle Wrap, and Window tint.

There is a huge thing to keep in mind. One person's version of "high cost" or "worth it" is rarely the same as another.

All the paint sealants, ceramic coatings, paint protection films and waxes require a lot of preparation, precise installation/application, and regular maintenance. None will create a magic force field able to repel flying bricks or magically keep your car perfectly clean.

It is very frustrating when people don't read the fine print on some products or they are misinformed on what these product can or cannot do.

My advice is simple. Don't blindly believe anyone trying to sell you a product that you are not familiar with. Instead, hear the information and then get confirmation by doing research. Read the actual instructions and information on the each brand and variant.

I had a client last month tell me that another competitor told them that their nifty ceramic coating would do all these things with no maintenance, and had a 10 year warranty. I opened the website of that exact brand of ceramic coating and showed them the truth. It had a 2 year warranty, required monthly maintenance (additional costs), and didn't protect from scratches or rock chips like they were told.

• Informative
Reactions: Kilotango74
I'm not making an argument either way. I've just spent too much money on other mods to justify the cost of paying for ceramic coating. I thought going with a Nanoskin Towel and Nano Shock Lubricant Sealant was an easier and more cost efficient route. I know I could have also done a DIY ceramic coat but decided on going with Nano instead. I've had my car since May 2018 and this is the first time I used a clay bar/clay bar equivalent. It was very easy to do and didn't take much time and all. I think the results came out awesome (super shiny and bright)! We'll see how it holds up. I'm thinking I'll hit it again with the Nano Shock in 3 to 4 months.

fullsizeoutput_41fa.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_41fe.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4200.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not making an argument either way. I've just spent too much money on other mods to justify the cost of paying for ceramic coating. I thought going with a Nanoskin Towel and Nano Shock Lubricant Sealant was an easier and more cost efficient route. I know I could have also done a DIY ceramic coat but decided on going with Nano instead. I've had my car since May 2018 and this is the first time I used a clay bar/clay bar equivalent. It was very easy to do and didn't take much time and all. I think the results came out awesome (super shiny and bright)! We'll see how it holds up. I'm thinking I'll hit it again with the Nano Shock in 3 to 4 months.

View attachment 512650 View attachment 512652 View attachment 512653
Looks awesome. Can you provide details on tint?

Looks awesome. Can you provide details on tint?
Thanks @Kilotango74! I got my tint done at a place called Ghost Shield in Thousand Oaks. I also had some SunTek PPF done on the front end of the car to add some protection. With the tint, I went with a ceramic 30% all around (nothing on the windshield or glass directly above me). Sometimes I think maybe I should have gone a bit darker (maybe 20%) but I didn't want to go too thuggish. At the end of the day, I think 30% was the right call.

Thanks @Kilotango74! I got my tint done at a place called Ghost Shield in Thousand Oaks. I also had some SunTek PPF done on the front end of the car to add some protection. With the tint, I went with a ceramic 30% all around (nothing on the windshield or glass directly above me). Sometimes I think maybe I should have gone a bit darker (maybe 20%) but I didn't want to go too thuggish. At the end of the day, I think 30% was the right call.
Thanks for the info. Thinking about going 25% myself.

I wouldn’t have done PPF/Ceramic except I plan to have my car for a very long time. It’s definitely expensive but that’s offset by not paying $30-$40 for a car wash ever. 10 minute wet and wipe down or ONR is a great convenience. But I totally understand why it’s a rarity.

I wouldn’t have done PPF/Ceramic except I plan to have my car for a very long time. It’s definitely expensive but that’s offset by not paying $30-$40 for a car wash ever. 10 minute wet and wipe down or ONR is a great convenience. But I totally understand why it’s a rarity.

I use ONR to have my car looking amazing in minutes. It's super quick and easy, and the shine on my car is amazing, along with the water beading, but I didn't get full clear bra, and I definitely didn't get ceramic coating, so know you don't need to pay those crazy ceramic coating prices and do all that extra work to have the same benefits.

Took the model 3 in this morning to have the paint correction done and also ceramic coated, turns out that this ceramic coating has self healing properties just like Xpel PPF, didn’t want to have it rushed in one day so I will pick it up tomorrow morning some time. Feynlab is the Ceramic coating that Auto Armour in San Diego uses. Lots of videos on YouTube on Feynlab and how it’s self healing process works. Paint correction plus Feynlab ceramic coating cost $1250.00 and comes with a 3 year warranty. Auto Armour did my Xpel PPF last year in April and it’s still looks brand new so that’s why I went with the best. Will post some pictures tomorrow when I get the ride back.

Fred

Last edited:
Took the model 3 in this morning to have the paint correction done and also ceramic coated, turns out that this ceramic coating has self healing properties just like Xpel PPF, didn’t want to have it rushed in one day so I will pick it up tomorrow morning some time. Feynlab is the Ceramic coating that Auto Armour in San Diego uses. Lots of videos on YouTube on Feynlab and how it’s self healing process works. Paint correction plus Feynlab ceramic coating cost $1250.00 and comes with a 3 year warranty. Auto Armour did my Xpel PPF last year in April and it’s still looks brand new so that’s why I went with the best. Will post some pictures tomorrow when I get the ride back.

Fred

Please do post some pics, would love to see them. I am intrigued by the Feynlab self-healing coating. I am a big fan of Xpel PPF, which I had installed on my P3D and am curious how the Feynlab coating performs compared to Xpel PPF.

I was trying to research how the thickness of Feynlab's coating compares to the thickness of the Xpel PPF. The Feynlab site says it coating is about 10 microns thick while the Xpel is 8 mil thick. If I am converting the units correctly (microns vs mil), I believe that means the Xpel PPF is about 20 times thicker than the Feynlab coating. I am curious if there is something in the Feynlab coating that enables it to perform as well as a PPF that is 20 times thicker.

Reactions: logan
Please do post some pics, would love to see them. I am intrigued by the Feynlab self-healing coating. I am a big fan of Xpel PPF, which I had installed on my P3D and am curious how the Feynlab coating performs compared to Xpel PPF.

I was trying to research how the thickness of Feynlab's coating compares to the thickness of the Xpel PPF. The Feynlab site says it coating is about 10 microns thick while the Xpel is 8 mil thick. If I am converting the units correctly (microns vs mil), I believe that means the Xpel PPF is about 20 times thicker than the Feynlab coating. I am curious if there is something in the Feynlab coating that enables it to perform as well as a PPF that is 20 times thicker.
I spoke to the installer This evening and I am getting Feynlab V2 the Self Healing one is much thicker, he said that it goes on like glue and that option is $500.00 more, it’s one step higher then V2.

Fred

Reactions: joebruin77