Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a quote of £499 for the Feynlab Self Healing ceramic coat for the entire car with a 3 year warranty.

I know it's supposed to be a good product, just not sure if I think it's worth it just for a slightly easier job cleaning. It'll heal minor dings but stone chips won't be protected unless I pay silly amounts just for bumper/bonnet PPF, which IMO isn't worth the cost compared to having any stone chips repaired/painted.

Anyone else had the self healing ceramic stuff from Feynlab and can comment on how good a protecting job it does?

This one?
Note the "when our self-healing coating is subjected to temperatures over 60C..."

Looks like you will have to blow dry your car to repair any scratches. :)

Personally I'd drop a Q over on detailingworld.co.uk Best source of ceramic/cleaning advice in the uk.

Reactions: Nick77
I've done this to my past cars when i've recieved them. I always ask them NOT to do a predelivery valet/wash (horror stories of washing with a rag thats gritty etc). I bring the car home, set up the car port and then do a 2 bucket foam wash and then full paint correction detail (clay bar, compound, polish, wax and seal) this usually knackers me out for one day. i then use the 2nd day for the home applied Ceramic coat. usually done over the weekend. First time i applied the ceramic coating i wasn't convinced, but when the builder managed to scrape his wheel barrow along the side of my car and i was able to remove the scuff with a microfibre, i was converted!
IMG_3567.jpeg

I've done this to my past cars when i've recieved them. I always ask them NOT to do a predelivery valet/wash (horror stories of washing with a rag thats gritty etc). I bring the car home, set up the car port and then do a 2 bucket foam wash and then full paint correction detail (clay bar, compound, polish, wax and seal) this usually knackers me out for one day. i then use the 2nd day for the home applied Ceramic coat. usually done over the weekend. First time i applied the ceramic coating i wasn't convinced, but when the builder managed to scrape his wheel barrow along the side of my car and i was able to remove the scuff with a microfibre, i was converted!
View attachment 677719
Ceramic coating on wax?

Reactions: curmudgeon
The ceramic coating is microns thick, how does it prevent damage from 600c flames, wheel barrows etc. Isn’t the usual protect paint route ppf, to add chip/scratch resistance and ceramic to make it shiny
Heating clearcoat on any car gets it to level to some degree, whether a ceramic coating can enhance this or not seems a little unlikely, but perhaps. I have a ceramic coating, water forms beads all over, then dries leaving leopard spots. I'm not sure I remember why this was meant to be a good idea.

The ceramic coating is microns thick, how does it prevent damage from 600c flames, wheel barrows etc. Isn’t the usual protect paint route ppf, to add chip/scratch resistance and ceramic to make it shiny
It won't. Not sure if that's a typo, but the self-healing needs 60C not 600C.

I presume the wheelbarrow left dirt rather than an actual scuff. As you say it very thin and in the video can easily be scratched with a soft wire brush.

IMHO ceramic just adds a little bit of chemical resistance, very minor scratch (i.e. incorrect washing technique) resistance, hydrophobic properties and makes the car a little easier to clean (but you'll still want to wash as normal). I've used it on top of a well polished surface and that's where the real shine comes from.
YMMV

The self healing stuff is mainly for light scratches and swirls. Bit of heat and it comes right out.

Still not decided whether to do it yet. I'll be jet washing the car myself so it might make it a lot easier to do that. Then again £500 is a lot of money to make it easier to wash.

You'll hardly notice any difference when washing it. You'll maybe just need to wash it less. Some people claim to get away with just snow foam and a jet wash, but I've never been happy with the finish that leaves - especially on dark cars.
Does that price include polishing? I know its a new car, but the quality of finish is directly related to the quality of the paint you start with. Even new cars are pretty poor compared to a freshly polished surface. Here's a brand new Range Rover getting polished even though its still had the factory wrappings on and not been touched by the dealer:

And here's some advice on new cars:

I've just booked in to have my upcoming Model 3 ceramic coated including the glass treatment for about £500 including a proper prep (machine polish etc).

I’ve never spent so much on a car in this way before but I plan to keep this car long term so it’s money well spent I think

You'll hardly notice any difference when washing it. You'll maybe just need to wash it less. Some people claim to get away with just snow foam and a jet wash, but I've never been happy with the finish that leaves - especially on dark cars.
Does that price include polishing? I know its a new car, but the quality of finish is directly related to the quality of the paint you start with. Even new cars are pretty poor compared to a freshly polished surface. Here's a brand new Range Rover getting polished even though its still had the factory wrappings on and not been touched by the dealer:

And here's some advice on new cars:
Cheers. Not sure to be honest. He replied "Cost for the Prime New Car Preparation Detail including the 3 year FEYNLAB v2 CERAMIC would be £499 for the Tesla 3".

I assume he'll do all the prep work on the paint before hand as he has a good reputation round here and online reviews.

Definitely some minor swirls when I collected it. They'd definitely "cleaned" it so it'd need correcting beforehand.

I don't even know if that price includes all the glass and alloys. Need to phone him really to find out.

Cheers. Not sure to be honest. He replied "Cost for the Prime New Car Preparation Detail including the 3 year FEYNLAB v2 CERAMIC would be £499 for the Tesla 3".

I assume he'll do all the prep work on the paint before hand as he has a good reputation round here and online reviews.

Definitely some minor swirls when I collected it. They'd definitely "cleaned" it so it'd need correcting beforehand.

I don't even know if that price includes all the glass and alloys. Need to phone him really to find out.
Don't bother with ceramic, just a decent sealant will do.
If you are worried about stone chips on the bonnet then leave a gap to the car in front. The sills are a stone chip magnet, some ppf down there is relatively cheap and will protect your paint.