Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Pro Coating feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really, then they did it wrong. I have Ceramic Pro 4 layer on one vehicle and Nanohide on the other, both work amazingly well, the Nanohide is 3 years out, Cermaic Pro is 2 years out. Both are behaving like the day they were installed. Now I know you can get 2 layer protection on both of these to save money. Do not do it if you can avoid it, but something, is way better than nothing on that soft paint Tesla has to use due to CA laws.

• Informative
Reactions: Dog lover 1
FYI, lifetime warranty has the condition that you get it maintained once per year within 30 days of anniversary date. Gold level has four layers applied to paint. Everyone says the Tesla paint is soft, so unless you want to worry about dealing with that, coating seems like a good investment. Would hesitate to recommend it for a lease or short horizon of ownership though unless money is no object.

The Ceramic Pro has 5 layers which protects the paint from ever getting any damage at all AND lifetime guaranty. It's about $2,000 but seems well worth it .
Hi, I just ordered an Obsidian Black Model S and have contacted someone who does the Ceramic Pro coating. There is a 2 year warranty, a 5 year warranty as well as a lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty was quoted to me at $2500. I am also thinking about it. Interested in others who have had the Ceramic Pro done and their opinions. Thanks!

Hi, I just ordered an Obsidian Black Model S and have contacted someone who does the Ceramic Pro coating. There is a 2 year warranty, a 5 year warranty as well as a lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty was quoted to me at $2500. I am also thinking about it. Interested in others who have had the Ceramic Pro done and their opinions. Thanks!
I did the 5, I never keep the cars longer than that. But you will love it on a black car.

Reactions: CBPfromTN

Non-applicable for paint coatings for a few reasons:
·Likely the only one that matters is that it's impossible to hit the same spot twice on a body. Even if you aim a laser at a spot, correct, measure depth, coat and then remeasure, one will still not hit the same spot. Thicknesses vary greatly from CM to CM. PDG's, when used for automotive paint correction experts, is primarily used to give a good idea of what's going on with a panel's paint so that we may build a safe model for correcting.
·PDG's do not have perfect accuracy and in all cases I have found, will vary beyond practical use in the application of measuring paint coatings.

Put those 2 items together and one better understands why they are not practical for accurate use in this context.

Anyone have an idea how Ceramic Pro compares to Modesta (cost, time to apply, glossiness, durability over time)? The latter of which comes with a 10-year warranty iirc.

Read the fine print of a coating warranty and you may feel they are more a marketing ploy than a valued asset.

Focus on locating a quality coating professional first and then consult with them. All other things being equal, Modesta is the best, IMO.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
The Ceramic Pro has 5 layers which protects the paint from ever getting any damage at all AND lifetime guaranty. It's about $2,000 but seems well worth it .

Have that on my black car. It's awesome. You go in once a year to have them look it over and fix anything that needs fixing. If you can afford it get XPEL put on underneath. At least the front bumper, hood, back of side mirrors.

On the topic of warranties, I find this interesting. One popular coating brand that makes exaggerated claims of protection for paint with a paper warranty also includes these specific exceptions to what is actually protected:

·"Damage to the coated surface by incorrect manual wash techniques, automatic car washes, brushes or contaminated wash tools that may cause abrasion, or damage caused by a third party" (This is pretty much a no-d'uh for any proper car care. Yet, in their marketing, they specifically show abusive actions that it protects one's paint from. It's a bait and switch tactic and at the end of the day the fine print protects them....not a private owner.)

·"Swirl marks, marring, scratches, scuffs, scrapes, chips." (wait....aren't I protected from this?....no. It doesn't matter what the marketing said. It matters what the contract/warranty states.)

·"Waterspots"

·"Failed Clear Coat – Peeling, Hazing and Fading."

So the question left is this. What is actually protected by this "warranty" that says in marketing that it protects paint from these conditions and then they explicitly state that they are exempt from this same form of damage?

If you want a quality coating solution it is in one's best interest to find someone to educate you about proper car care so either you can maintain the finish in a way that protects your Tesla's paint or they can do it for you. But paint coatings are not silver bullets for no longer requiring proper care. This is the crux of the matter for coatings: When a car's finish is correctly prepared for a good bond and coated ideally, the resulting protection and finish will reward your proper care with a finish that looks better for longer, is easier to clean and well protected from the elements.

I wrote an article some time ago that discusses what it means for a private owner to be completely satisfied with a coating solution. If you have 5'ish minutes to read through it, it's here: The Paint Coating Triangle: A Necessity for Owner Satisfaction - Detailed Designs Auto Spa

I did the 5, I never keep the cars longer than that. But you will love it on a black car.
Thanks, Jimmy! I definitely need this on my Obsidian Black Model S. IF I love this car as much as I think I will, there's no telling how long I will keep it....so I will do the lifetime so it will look good for the entire time I have it. I just hate that it takes so long to have it done. The place I called who I have been referred to by a friend who had his Porsche 911 done, says it takes about 3 days to complete and then I cannot drive it in the rain or get it wet for 10 days after that. I will go crazy waiting to drive it, especially since I will take it the day after delivery to have it done. Thanks for the response!

Reactions: Jimmy 1