Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Pro - Very disappointed with performance and results

Willy’sEV

Mar 29, 2021
NY Metro
I think part of the discussion is do you want to detail your car or do you want someone else to detail your car. No wrong answer here, it is your money to spend as you wish.

Before dropping $1K+ for someone who calls himself a professional detailer, try the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic solution. You need 2 coats, so apply the first (base coat), then wait 24 hrs to wash and apply the 2nd coat. I did this 2 months ago, and the water beading and shine is beautiful, can’t see it being any better. Now at best it will last 6 months, I understand that. But a big difference in price. Give it a try before dropping big bucks.

Sorry to hear about these protective finishes which appear to be often no more than a good waxing. We keep our Chichi in a garage under two soft blankets, front and rear. When these are removed the car's top portion is freshly polished and almost always looks amazing. Dust below the window line is less obvious unless it turns to mud, in which case we wash it off with copious water and chamois dry as we do the top portion after rain.
We long ago decided not to be too fussy because our RR and later our Bentley were big beasts to care for. Chichi, our used M3LR from Japan, is a treasure but still only a workhorse.

Hey sorry about all this bs. I greatly appreciate you sharing this.. I was strongly considering Ceramic Pro for my Model 3 coming in a week.

Hugely disappointing to see how the company has treated you. And worse, thag the product failed to protect your car from the most basic of conditions every car faces. Water drops and swirls from washings. No matter how much you baby your car swirl marks are just inevitable unless you've got a sacrificial layer like PPF or ceramic coating. Given the subtlety of the application, it's almost impossible to tell if your installation was even on the car, much less a good one.

Anyway you helped me dodge a bullet. No way in he'll I'll take my business to Ceramic Pro.

Willy’sEV

Mar 29, 2021
NY Metro
I have had good success with Turtle Wax hybrid wax and ceramic and more recently tried the Meguilar wax and silicone spray that you spray on while the car is still wet. This is a fraction of the cost of these so called professional ceramic coating. If you are detailing your own car, you can spray on the Meduilar spray and rinse it off, it looks great and the water beads like crazy. I don’t know how long it will last and skeptical about a 6 month statement from the manufacturer, but you can apply the spray each time you wash your car and if you live in beautiful weather all year like LA, it was just made to order.

dduffey

Aug 26, 2015
Austin, TX
How do you like the Meguiar vs Turtle wax (I assume you mean the ceramic wet wax version).

I am using Griots but you have to dry first so am looking for something a bit simpler. I may still use Griots as a second coating the following day since it seems to do better in durability than the turtle wax.

Willy’sEV

Mar 29, 2021
NY Metro
How do you like the Meguiar vs Turtle wax (I assume you mean the ceramic wet wax version).

I am using Griots but you have to dry first so am looking for something a bit simpler. I may still use Griots as a second coating the following day since it seems to do better in durability than the turtle wax.
I do like the Regular ceramic wet wax product. Was very easy to use, just spray it on when the car is wet. I was a little skeptical at first, but it leaves a nice glossy look and when you run your hand over it and more slippery feel than Turtle wax product. One interesting thing I noticed is that when I went to dry the car with my micro fibre towel, it picked the water up and more completely than the Turtle wax stuff, I guess their is a drying agent in the formula. The directions say to rub in the spray the first time for a base coat, I did not do that, and thought the results were really good. How long will it last is the question.

Reactions: dduffey

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
I do like the Regular ceramic wet wax product. Was very easy to use, just spray it on when the car is wet. I was a little skeptical at first, but it leaves a nice glossy look and when you run your hand over it and more slippery feel than Turtle wax product. One interesting thing I noticed is that when I went to dry the car with my micro fibre towel, it picked the water up and more completely than the Turtle wax stuff, I guess their is a drying agent in the formula. The directions say to rub in the spray the first time for a base coat, I did not do that, and thought the results were really good. How long will it last is the question.

than is unlikely - the most slippery detail product which exists (and that includes everything inc. ceramic coatings) is Turtle Waxes Seal and Shine. At last for the first 24h....

joebruin77

Dec 23, 2018
Encino, CA

If have used Griots Ceramic 3-in-1 Spray Wax and it is a great sealant. But if you are looking for something that can be applied to a wet, freshly washed car, check out Xtreme Solutions Poly Seal. Here is a video from Brian with Apex Detail in which he compares Poly Seal to Meguiars Ceramic Wax. Poly Seal offered a bit more chemical resistance and gloss:

• Informative
Reactions: dduffey

Willy’sEV

Mar 29, 2021
NY Metro
Hello!

I've been in the market for a new car these past couple months and have been doing my research on what I'd like next and narrowed it down between the new Audi S3 and the Tesla Model 3. Coming from a 2015 Audi S3, I walked away extremely impressed with the Tesla Model 3 LR after test driving it twice; once by myself and a second time with my skeptical brother, whose opinion of the car completely changed once he sat in the passenger seat. Needless to say, it's on top of my car list right now, but I do have a few questions I'm hoping to get answers to!

Phantom braking - Does this only occur when either TACC, Autopilot, or FDS is turned on? The Internet is riddled with posts, articles, and videos of this scary behavior with both radar and Tesla Vision. A common remedy I see people suggest is to keep your foot by the accelerator, hence my question. I rarely use the adaptive cruise control on my Audi S3; only on long trips. Basically, I'm wondering if this behavior will occur in regular stop-n-go driving, which is 90% of my driving. It's not an option for me to turn off the Automatic Emergency Braking feature, and would likely be a deal breaker for me if this does occur in everyday driving situations.

Noise/comfort variance in builds - I noticed that there's various opinions on the noise and comfort levels of the 2021s compared to previous model years. Is this truly the case or a question of how everyone interprets noise and comfort? I test drove two different 2021 Model 3s and, in both occasions, I found the car to be very quiet, even on the highway going at 120 km/h. My brother also found it quieter than my Audi, although it was noticeable that the sound system was lacking ANC, but not a big deal.

Winter - Anything in particular I should know about the car in winter? The forums seem to tell a positive tale of the car in the winter, and I saw the 2021s have a heat pump that helps reduce the range impact in colder weather.

Suspension longevity - I live in Montreal where the roads can be god awful to drive on, but I found the Model 3's suspension to be good compared to my Audi S3 with adaptive dampers. Nonetheless, I've read that these cars can be a mixed bag with the suspension and wondering if it's something I should be concerned with.

White interior - Both cars I drove had the white interior, which I found to be amazing. Anything long term I should know before committing myself to a white interior?

Service Center Experience - Now, I'll admit that it's a very large concern how long it can take the car to get some attention by the service center, when my experience with Audi is typically within the week, but I'd like to know if it's that much of a concern? If I can still drive the car for the duration until the appointment, I'm fine with it, and I haven't found any common major issues that would prevent me from driving the car on this forum, suspension control arms aside.

I'd likely wait for the 2022s to be released before ordering, even knowing that Tesla takes an iterative update approach to their cars. I'd imagine there's no major change that would happen between 2021 and 2022, since 2021 was the refresh year, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by my thread!

If have used Griots Ceramic 3-in-1 Spray Wax and it is a great sealant. But if you are looking for something that can be applied to a wet, freshly washed car, check out Xtreme Solutions Poly Seal. Here is a video from Brian with Apex Detail in which he compares Poly Seal to Meguiars Ceramic Wax. Poly Seal offered a bit more chemical resistance and gloss:

I could not find a link to purchase the Xtreme Solutions Poly Sea. I checked Amazon, could not find it.
The video was interesting but not real world, would not be dumping that harsh stuff on my car.
Curious to see the price difference of the 2 products.

joebruin77

Dec 23, 2018
Encino, CA
I could not find a link to purchase the Xtreme Solutions Poly Sea. I checked Amazon, could not find it.
The video was interesting but not real world, would not be dumping that harsh stuff on my car.
Curious to see the price difference of the 2 products.

I buy it directly from the manufacturer, Xtreme Solutions:

A pint of Poly Seal costs $16.98 and a quart is $24.98

I recently bought some more Poly Seal and used this coupon code to get 10% off: PAPASMURF10

Willy’sEV

Mar 29, 2021
NY Metro

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC