Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic spray yes or no if you park under a birch tree that spews resin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our driveway is under a birch tree that spews a *lot* of small resin drops this time of year, and I want to know how that will affect the ceramic spray - or whether it will.

Thanks.

Tree sap is nasty stuff and, IMO, even the best ceramic spray sealants will not protect the paint against tree sap. If I had a tree that spewed tree sap, these are things I would consider doing:

1) Wash the car very frequently. Tree sap is a bit easier to get off the fresher it is. Once it starts to harden, it is more difficult to remove and it may damage the clearcoat.
2) Hardened tree sap won't come off with a normal wash. I have found two methods best to remove tree sap. With the paint cool and out of the sun, apply some alcohol-based hand sanitizer on the spot, let it dwell for 2-3 minutes, then spray the area with a detailer or waterless wash, and wipe it off. The key is the extended dwell time. If that doesn't work, you can try a bug and tar remover, such as Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover.
3) Once the tree sap is removed, you then need to reapply your wax or sealant in the affected area.
4) If the tree spews sap for an extended period of time, I would consider installing some sort of barrier above the car, so that sap is not constantly falling on it. Perhaps one of those canvas covers could be used to create a mini car port.
5) A professional grade ceramic coating would probably provide better and more robust protection from sap for your paint than a ceramic spray sealant.

Good luck!

Thanks. So far the sap has come off in the car wash no problem.

I called one company that sells ceramic spray - Nexgen - and the guy told me it would protect the car... but it comes off in the car wash.

Hopefully the tree will stop doing this soon! We've been here for 29 years, and this is by far the worst it's been.

Thanks. So far the sap has come off in the car wash no problem.

I called one company that sells ceramic spray - Nexgen - and the guy told me it would protect the car... but it comes off in the car wash.

Hopefully the tree will stop doing this soon! We've been here for 29 years, and this is by far the worst it's been.

IMO, Nexgen is one of those over hyped, underperforming spray sealants. It is pretty expensive and it does not work that well. I am not surprised it comes off in the wash.

If you want a much more durable spray sealant, I suggest you get a bottle of Griots Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Spray Wax. It is one of the highest rated spray sealants on the market:

Hope that helps.

Reactions: nickbatz
Thanks very much.

I'm still not sure wax is what we need for this problem, but it's probably a good idea anyway.

You definitely want to protect the paint and the clear coat from the tree sap. Even if you wash the car frequently, there is a good chance some of the sap will harden before you can wash it off, especially on hotter days.

I think the Griots Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax is one of the best protecting ceramic spray sealants/waxes on the market. But if you want even more protection, an actual ceramic coating would provide the most robust paint protection. Here is a popular one:

You definitely want to protect the paint and the clear coat from the tree sap. Even if you wash the car frequently, there is a good chance some of the sap will harden before you can wash it off, especially on hotter days.

I think the Griots Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax is one of the best protecting ceramic spray sealants/waxes on the market. But if you want even more protection, an actual ceramic coating would provide the most robust paint protection. Here is a popular one:

^^^ This Stuff ^^^

I have no objection to spending $60, but if it's going to come off in the car wash every time then that's not feasible!

One of those canopies would be the best solution - short of building a car port over our driveway - but it would get in the way. I actually ordered one and returned it unopened after I saw that the middle pole would block the path to our front door.

But I'll order some of the Griots stuff and see how it goes.

Thanks!

I think it's a basic European Silver Birch. I'm in Los Angeles.

This is the Google Maps picture (from six years ago - alas that's my wife's car, which reached its practical EOL and we traded it in on the Model 3).

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    960.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Our driveway is under a birch tree that spews a *lot* of small resin drops this time of year, and I want to know how that will affect the ceramic spray - or whether it will.

Thanks.

the resin is probably from aphids that feed on the leaves then poop the resin onto your car. you can buy stuff to pour at the base of your tree, tree absorbs it, and kills the aphids.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
What about the reviews on the Griots stuff that complains of leaving streaks etc in the finish that can't be buffed out? Overwhelmingly GOOD reviews, but the handful of bad ones all seem to focus on that aspect. Any thoughts on that? I don't want to have to do anything twice, or over.

What about the reviews on the Griots stuff that complains of leaving streaks etc in the finish that can't be buffed out? Overwhelmingly GOOD reviews, but the handful of bad ones all seem to focus on that aspect. Any thoughts on that? I don't want to have to do anything twice, or over.

I had zero issues with streaking with the GG 3-in-1 wax. If streaking occurs with any spray sealant, it is usually due to over application of the product. You can easily avoid this by 1) only using 1-2 sprays per panel and 2) spray the 3-in-1 wax onto a microfiber applicator (as opposed to spraying it directly onto the paint).

If you over apply and get some streaks, you can usually easily remove them by wiping off with a microfiber moistened with a bit more of the 3-in-1 wax.

• Informative
Reactions: ayavner
I've used GG 3-1 and experienced the "streaks" but only when using their ceramic detail spray on subsequent cleanings. More than likely, I overused the product. Sprayed too much on the panel. I just bought some Chemical Guys Hydro Slick and Hydro Charge. Will see how it compares to GG stuff.