TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ceramic tint only option for glass roof?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by spyderdawg, Aug 27, 2018.

1. spyderdawg

spyderdawg Member

Just spoke with the tint shop and was advised they have to tint the roof with ceramic tint so heat can pass and not get caught in the glass causing it to shatter. Said to be true for all of Tesla's panoramic glass roofs and sunroofs. This is the first I have heard and wondering if anyone can confirm. Thanks

2. MikeBurke

MikeBurke New Member

3. MikeBurke

MikeBurke New Member

4. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

Not true. Doesn't matter what tint you put on.

5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Not true but why wouldn't you tint with ceramic tint? they have far better heat rejection than ordinary tint that really only blocks light and nothing else.

That being said i have spectra photosync and its technically not ceramic, but now we're just getting into semantics.

6. Terthen

Terthen Member

I have madico wincos on my glass roof, not a true ceramic to my understanding. Per my installer, monumental workx, they've done it on many model S and 3 without any issues with any of the tint they use. But they do a lot of ceramic films too. Are you avoiding ceramic for any particular reason?

7. spyderdawg

spyderdawg Member

Only reason for not wanting ceramic is cost savings, but the overhead glass is subjected to so much sun it makes sense to get the best available even if ceramic is not necessary.