Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do we like to do the most while waiting for our delivery?
Researching into what accessories/add-ons we can buy/get and start utilizing as soon as the vehicle is delivered.

I've been looking into ceramic tint lately, mainly for heat blockage but looks is also a considering factor and I have a few questions that I need help with.

Factual Questions:
  1. Where did you get your tint done? (I live in the Vancouver/Richmond Area in the west coast)
  2. How much did it cost?
  3. Do you know what material did the installer use, was it ceramic, dye, carbon, or metal?
  4. Were you satisfied with the result?
  5. Did you do the back glass?
    • If so, did you do the full thing or just the clear part?
    • If you only did the half, was it visible, from the inside, where the aftermarket tint ends? I've saw some youtube videos showing it and it looks quite horrendous
    • If you did the whole thing, was the double/factory tinted area noticeably darker?
    • I've been asking around and one shop told me that the clear part of the back glass actually already had a coating for UV/IR blockage so I didn't have to tint that if I'm only concerned about heat reduction.
    • I've tried researching into this but have found mixed results on the web. I emailed my sales rep and he *thinks* it doesn't have the UVA/UVB coating in that part of the glass roof but he's not 100% sure either

Opinion-centric questions:
  1. Did you tint/ask about the windshield?
    • I've read articles saying that some installers wont do the windshield because there's a computer chip in the area and having working with liqiuds in the same area has very high risk of damaging the computer chip there. This is apparently a model 3- only problem.
    • Some articles even go as far as saying that even if they use towel to cover the area, water somehow manages to sip through so seemed like the a very risky YMMV problem. Have you heard about this?
  2. If my only concern is to reducing heat, would it make no sense to do tinting because
    • the roof is already factory tinted with UVA/UVB coating
    • If the windshield is really that risky and not tint-able, so since the front is letting heat in, would it make no sense to do the sides since heat is coming in through the windshield anyway?

A couple of responses...

If you want heat blocking, Spectra Photosync is what you want to use. I seem to think the ONLY dealer in Canada is Evelyn Protective Films (which is just outside of Toronto), but I may be wrong.

I spoke to the owner of that shop last week and he NO LONGER does windshields because of the potential for damage to the screen. Apparently is a $2,500 fix on the M3.

If there isn't a Photosync dealer in BC, you might want to consider a trip south but as far as I know the new Photosync films (35%) offer 99% heat rejection.

99% UV protection, not heat.

Almost all tint has 99% I’ve protection.

I use Suntek Ceramic, for example a light 50% film gets rid of 51% heat, the photo sync gets rid of 62%.

That is pretty close.

A non ceramic gets rid of only about 30%