Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic wheel Bearings anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a company in CA I have used for a racing trike project that builds ceramic bearings. It's possible to have them made, my guess is around $500 per bearing, the car has 8 wheel bearings effectively with the double row design. I am not sure they stock bearing large enough for this application.

I have a company in CA I have used for a racing trike project that builds ceramic bearings. It's possible to have them made, my guess is around $500 per bearing, the car has 8 wheel bearings effectively with the double row design. I am not sure they stock bearing large enough for this application.

Is there some small performance benefit to replacing original bearings with ceramic? Does anyone know what Tesla will charge to replace bearing on one wheel should one fail? Over the years I've had one bearing go bad on my Acura and I don't recall them saying they must be replaced in pairs. My Roadster has around 45K miles so if one bearing went bad it wouldn't mean that others would go bad anytime soon. I put 7 - 8 K miles on it annually.

Is there some small performance benefit to replacing original bearings with ceramic? Does anyone know what Tesla will charge to replace bearing on one wheel should one fail? Over the years I've had one bearing go bad on my Acura and I don't recall them saying they must be replaced in pairs. My Roadster has around 45K miles so if one bearing went bad it wouldn't mean that others would go bad anytime soon. I put 7 - 8 K miles on it annually.
I agree not sure bearings need to be replaced in pairs as long as they are the same type bearing. But I would not recommend mixing ceramics and regular on the same axle.

Bobfitz1: For what it is worth, I had both rear wheel hub units replaced back in 2015 due to bearing noise. The cost was $281.74 for each hub unit ($563.48 for parts) plus $536.25 for labor. That's about a quarter the price that Dave estimated for the ceramic units.

Bobfitz1: For what it is worth, I had both rear wheel hub units replaced back in 2015 due to bearing noise. The cost was $281.74 for each hub unit ($563.48 for parts) plus $536.25 for labor. That's about a quarter the price that Dave estimated for the ceramic units.

Thanks @EMF!
I love my Roadster and would like to drive it until I 'm too old to get in and out. But the costs for keeping it healthy for the next ten plus years looks very high. I would like to get a rebuild of my PEM like Gruber offers for $5K, as it's only a matter of time before that will need replacement or rebuild. If only Tesla offered a convertible Model 3 performance version! It's just not the same driving experience without the wind in your face and blue sky overhead.

Reactions: Msjulie