Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cermamic spray coat over ceramic coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not really a "Y" question but what the heck. I had a professional ceramic coating ( Gtechniq Cystal Serum Light 5 Years ) applied to my Y when I purchased it a few months ago along with full front PPF.

Just curious, is it adivisable at all to "top up" the coating with a ceramic spray a few times a year, or not so much given typically you'd want to strip the surface of contaminants/existing coatings before applying a ceramic spray of any kind?

My understanding is that the ceramic coating should be a lifetime purchase. My manufacturer is Ceramic Pro and they recommend a yearly checkup. The PPF is Kavaca and is only on the front. I went to the product websites and have been following their recommendations. I got an inexpensive foam sprayer from Amazon that attaches to the garden hose and it covers the car with foam in about 2 minutes and uses about 4-5 ounces of mixture. Then I just hose if off and use microfiber towels to dry it. The whole process takes 15-20 minutes and it looks very good.

I have found that spray polymers work really well to keep the hydrophobic properties of the ceramic "fresh". At the recommendation of my detailer I was using P&S Bead Maker for quite a while. It worked pretty well in terms of water beading, but I found that it attracted dust and sometimes streaked. I switched this year to Obsessed Garage Drying Aid and have been very happy with the product. Sprays when wet without fear of what surface it is going on, no streaking, no extra dust.

Re: ceramic lifetime purchase. I have Ceramic Pro on other vehicles and if you go for the "Gold Package" that is 4 layers and lifetime. Their single layer is also a 5 year warranty. I have a similar process as bicar and am really thankful for ceramic on larger vehicles.