Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CES 2016 topics and trends

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That and big-screen LG OLED TVs. :D
I've had OLED phones and they do "burn in". Their output changes over time and they will burn bright areas. The "O" stands for "organic" which are large, complex molecules... and not very stable over time.
I'm not sure OLED is a great advance... just something new and different to get people to spend money on "upgrading".

I've had OLED phones and they do "burn in". Their output changes over time and they will burn bright areas. The "O" stands for "organic" which are large, complex molecules... and not very stable over time.
I'm not sure OLED is a great advance... just something new and different to get people to spend money on "upgrading".
I'm quite aware of what OLED is, but that doesn't mean they're so volatile that they're going to break down prematurely with any kind of typical use. LG have stabilized performance and lifetimes with their WOLED process (I've got their debut consumer TV model from 2013, and it's held up well enough after 4k hours), and it's the only tech that is worth a damn as an emissive replacement for the videophile since plasma has been shuttered. Offering unmatched contrast ratio and black levels courtesy of 8+ million self-illuminating pixels versus, at best, 300 individual zones and a rudimentary backlight on a full array local dimming (FALD) LCD panel? I'll take the former every time for cinematic viewing, and it is an upgrade in every since of the word when you get one of these babies set up in your lair. Add in this newfangled high-dynamic range video content, and that will undoubtedly increase the blooming tendencies of FALD tech but will be primed for an OLED. I've also got the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge phone, which uses the more traditional RGB OLED architecture, since May and I haven't detected any burn-in yet (I traded in a Motorola Moto X Gen 1 also with an OLED screen without any noticeable burn-in after over a year of use).

I can tell you that the vibrancy of this display tech even its infancy (from a commercial standpoint) will keep me steering clear from LCD in all categories except strictly monitors (LG also has their sights set on tackling that market).

OT but man, I can only see "thinner" and "bigger" so many times before it gets old. I do like the new Eureka Pavilion tho!
The thinness is indeed the gimmicky aspect of OLED (yet lighter is a happy side benefit of the thinness wars), but bigger is definitely better if you've got the space (referring to viewing cinematic and multimedia content at home here).

Last edited: