TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CF damage caused by soft top

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Slackjaw, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

#1 Slackjaw, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    Just a warning to other owners who might not notice that the hex bolts can work loose on their soft top and cause damage to the carbon fiber when you put the top on/off. As far as I can tell the nuts worked loose during the 70+ mile drive to Princeton for the model S event at the weekend, and the damage was done when I went to take the top off; the flat piece of metal which attaches to the wire was sticking out at an angle instead of being nicely seated where it should be. Here are some pictures showing the perp and victim:

CF damage perp.JPG

CF damage victim.JPG

My advice: Check all four of those little hex nuts regularly!

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Thanks for the heads-up; I'll check mine as soon as I get it back (it's away at the Store for a few days).

Maybe liquid threadlock is a fix to stop the nuts working loose. Every motorcycle owner knows about Loctite Blue and you can buy it for a couple of bucks at any motorcycle store.

3. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

This happened to me too.