Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CF Door sills by Carbon One

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I never had a proper introductory page for our door sills so here it is!

Over the past few weeks I've had several great Tesla Roadster owners come by, (Or I should say sneak by) my shop to talk about many near future plans as well as pick up parts.

The first thing I started with was the door sills. Everybody says the OEM ones scuff or brake easy and the current ones on the market cost too much. So here's my solution. Full Carbon Fiber door sills for your Tesla Roadster! They WILL NOT BRAKE, they will not scuff or scratch as easy, and if they do its a super easy fix.

Yes they fit perfectly.
Yes they are real carbon fiber.
Yes the weave matches the OEM roll bar.
Yes I keep a straight and uniform weave.
Yes they are coated with UV resistant gel AND clear coat by DuPont.
I'm only charging $1000 w/ free shipping. EDIT! Price dropped to $800.
Life time warranty.

And yes if three people join together to purchase at once I will be willing to give a group buy discount.

Feel free to ask any questions and I wont start any more door sill threads haha. I will just post all pictures here and I wont super size them.

Last edited:
So today after Steve snuck up on me in his orange Tesla Sport, we installed his new CF door sills... And they look great!

P1010147.jpg

P1010142.jpg

P1010129.jpg

P1010127.jpg

P1010122.jpg

P1010120.jpg

The above are pictures of my car, and I would highly recommend Carbon One. The quality of the work, personal service and price are all great. I am excited to have them make a few more CF parts for me as well, and have them in the works. :cool:

Nobody wants to say anything? Are my prices to cheap :p haha. I'd like it if some people had some comments or questions so that way I can improve and assimilate to what you guys would like. If some of you believe the prices are too high or have any other ideas I'd love to hear them.

Nice product. Looks like good quality, but hard to judge from photos without benefit of "touch and feel". Pricing: there's so little out there to compare to, it's very difficult to judge the price=value proposition.

I deff see your pont. Right now my door sills are only comparable to Tesla's an Al&Eds.

Tesla - $1600 - $1700
Al&Eds - $1500
Carbon One - $1200

Tesla - Sport Style Carbon fiber door sill with the corner piece in black vinyl (does not solve the scuffing issue). Perfect weave, full CF.

AL&Eds - 1 piece Carbon fiber door sill, non sport, no easy to scuff areas, uneven weave, unsure about full cf composite.

Carbon One - Sport Syle 1 piece carbon fiber door sills, no easy to scuff areas, perfect weave every time, full cf composite. IMO the best bang for your buck! Cheaper, and just by looking at it side by side you can see that they offer more.

You dont want to touch and feel it in person because you might be tempted to buy two sets :p

I just placed an order for a set from CarbonOne and will report on them after I get them. Someone needs to make a YouTube video of the installation procedure, as I have no idea what to do. If anyone near my location has installed a set and would like to do it for me (or show me how) please let me know.

The CarbonOne ones look great in the pictures. Not sure how much it might effect cost but, I think they'd look even better if they didn't have the lines/channels around where the black vinyl goes on the Tesla ones. I have the Tesla CF sills and wish they didn't have the black vinyl. They haven't scratched badly yet, but I expect that eventually I'll replace them and will definitely want ones that are all CF, like the CarbonOne ones.

The CarbonOne ones look great in the pictures. Not sure how much it might effect cost but, I think they'd look even better if they didn't have the lines/channels around where the black vinyl goes on the Tesla ones. I have the Tesla CF sills and wish they didn't have the black vinyl. They haven't scratched badly yet, but I expect that eventually I'll replace them and will definitely want ones that are all CF, like the CarbonOne ones.

I have seen the CF sills (al & ed's i think?) that do not have the outline where the vinyl would be on the OEM sill they look great. My preference is for the outline version ala CarbonOne

I've received several PM's asking how I like the CarbonOne door sills that I bought, so I figure I should probably just post here for everyone to read. Bottom line is that they're terrific. They took a lot longer to show up than I expected, but the quality is good and the price is good. Mine look exactly like the ones in the photos earlier in this thread. One of the employees at the Los Angeles Tesla Store took them off my car and inspected them very thoroughly, he then commented that they were very high quality, and that he's seen some really low quality pieces from other vendors. They are lighter than the stock sills and a whole lot tougher, and they don't seem to scuff up at all. If you live near me and would like to see them just let me know.

Anyone installed these on a 2.5? I'm interested as my work shoes are constantly leaving black marks on the metal. I have a non-sport 2.5 but it has the 2-piece plastic and metal sills which from the thread above sounds like it used to be a sport-only feature.

Yes, in previous models the non-sport had a one piece door sill made out of some kind of cheap-looking foam material. The Roadster 1.0 actually had better looking door sills, and it seems like this is one of the places that was downgraded to a cheaper material as each version was released (in fact, the 1.0 had a solid CF center console and even a CF trunk space -- so even though one might think that the newly designed center console in 2.0 and above is better than the older ones, it is actually much cheaper to manufacture since it's plastic. I think Tesla must have hired some cost-cutting MBAs to cut the fat out of the car after version 1.5!). I think that the non-sport door sills were just so cheap and low-quality in 1.5 and 2.0 that really Tesla realized they needed to do something about it and thus upgraded the non-sport 2.5's with the slightly better door sills. Still, nothing to write home about -- the car almost cries about to have the door sills replaced with CF sills.

Last edited:
I just wanted to let everybody know that I appreciate the orders that have been coming in lately. It really helps me out by allowing me to employee more people which in turn helps me grow the business.

I'll be shipping Benji4's and Stenkb's orders out today. In the coming weeks I'll also be releasing almost a dozen new products for the Roadster 1.5 - 2.5 that way I have something for everybody!

Lastly I do hope to become a sponsor so that way I may contribute to the growing of this site. I have already contacted management and am patiently waiting on a solution since I do believe there are currently no options for small businesses to join as a sponsor / vendor. Correct me if I'm wrong :).

How many other people have unfilled prepaid orders for carbon fiber parts?

Has anyone been able to get any kind of response from John in the last month?

I highly recommend to remember "buyer beware" when dealing with John at Carbon One. I have been biting my tongue for a very long time about him. PM me if you want more info. I will probably soon unload all the info I have about his operation shortly.

I've been in touch with him weekly -- I ordered a lot of parts from him at the end of last year, have so far received door sills, door pulls, gauge bezel, and rear wing. All these parts took longer than promised to arrive, but all were of amazing quality. The rear wing especially is very impressive, really a work of art. A carbon fiber hood (pics he sent me look like it's pretty much done) looks close to shipping. In short, I'm not happy that the parts were later than promised, but I am completely happy with the job he's done on the ones I've received so far. I'd much rather get a part late than a part that was not manufactured properly, that's for sure. I'll post more updates and pics as the other parts arrive.

Last edited:
I apologize for not keeping customers up to date as well as I should have been. We've been very busy with orders and other problems here and there we've been getting over with. Good news is that we have been in production with door sills and we do plan on shipping several sets this week.

Donauker - I apologize for not responding to your email earlier last week, I'll send you a PM now :). I'll be sending updates to all customers before the day's end.

StenkB - I've had your replacement door sill for quite some time and I do apologize for not sending it out. I wish I had a good reason why It has not gone out, but I don't. So that being said, I'll have it shipped this evening.

If anybody else has any questions please feel free to ask. We will be doing our absolute best to provide every customer with acceptional customer service and perfect carbon fiber parts.

Please do keep in mind that all these parts are hand made. Each piece takes a very long time to reproduce because of how many steps we have to take to assure a perfect part. Often we have to gel coat and clear coat each piece several times with sanding in between. This not only requires multiple hours per part, but days of waiting in between for drying. Yes, other companies are able to lay the fabric into the molds, pop them out, trim them and ship them. That's not how we operate though. Other companies are able to do that because they do not clear coat or do any post work to the part other than trimming. Those parts often fail either by fading, cracking, yellowing, or turn milky over time. Our parts will never fade, crack, yellow, or turn milky. Thats why we offer life time guarantees on all of our parts, and that's why we make sure to take any extra step necessary. Yes have been past due on many of our orders, but so happens because of our stride for perfection.

Again, if anybody has any questions or concerns please do contact me, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

My email is [email protected]

My phone is 708.522.3017.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.