Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO 139mi/hr! Not a SuperCharger but Fast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought the CHADeMO adaptor and had a bad Blink experience this week(no charge). But second shot using PlugShare app and Apple Pay on the AV network.
Went in to get groceries 5 things. Came out 10 min later and +25 miles! Pretty fast!
40 min to 90% from 68%
Woot this is going to work for trailering I think.

Attachments

• IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 128
Bought the CHADeMO adaptor and had a bad Blink experience this week(no charge). But second shot using PlugShare app and Apple Pay on the AV network.
Went in to get groceries 5 things. Came out 10 min later and +25 miles! Pretty fast!
40 min to 90% from 68%
Woot this is going to work for trailering I think.

Guessing that was an Aerovironment Chademo. Best network of fully-functional, full-strength Chademo(s) I've found anywhere (which I used extensively along the length of coastal Oregon before they built SCs from Astoria to Brookings) - and if they still have their $19.95/30 days unlimited usage for said Chademo, then all the better.

If I remember right, they charged at a rate of about 40% of a healthy SC. So 2.5x as long to get a charge, more or less. Not bad at the time, especially for those locations wherein they're the only game in town. Again if I remember right, there was one at a Chevron off the 5 mid-state (with a very pro-EV, pro-future gas station owner) that made Crater Lake a completely painless round trip - including circumnavigating the lake.

I'll typically get 60% (20%-80%) in 40 minutes at an SC, so your getting 38% in 40 minutes and to 90% is pretty impressive for a Chademo.

I only wish the rest of the continent had Chademo networks as good, as well-maintained, and as reasonable as that maintained by Aerovironment. Besides, which, $20/month is as close to free as it gets. The only caveat is they, like most, are installed as singlets, with an accompanying L2. Not exactly scalable.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Rossy
Yep, that Aerovironment network was great--very fast and mostly reliable. I was going to be taking a trip for about a week and a half in Oregon, so I got the fob and paid for a month of use and used it a couple of times a day during that time. It was really nice. However, that single charge handle thing did bite me at the worst time and place. The one in Redmond Oregon was out of order, despite my calling them a few hours earlier to check on it, and them assuring me that they saw it on their network functioning perfectly. I had to backtrack to Sisters and then make a very long drive to Baker City.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I got my adapter right when it came out and used it many times. It's a great thing to have when Superchargers aren't available. Recently (during the solar eclipse traffic) it actually saved me a few hours! The Supercharger was full with a long line. It would have been at least a 2 hour wait. And then because the stalls are used, the charge rate would have been half as well. No one else had the CHADeMO adapter so I was able to plug in there right away and charged at an average of about 45 kW.
It also helped me many times on trips outside the Supercharger network.
I think it is money well spent.