TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

CHAdeMo adapter , $450 , seriously ?? Why so expensive

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by nevrenuf, May 25, 2018.

1. nevrenuf

nevrenuf Member

I've seen lots of posts recently recommending having a CHAdeMo adapter on board. I was shocked to see they cost $450 at the Tesla store. Why so expensive? Are there any better alternatives?

2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Probably because there are more superchargers than chademo stations rendering the adapter obsolete

3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I really see no reason for one.

I did buy one used. Paid $250, so kinda split the loss with the initial owner.

Only reason I purchased is because there is a chademo near a place I frequent. I’m afraid I might get ICEd at the hotel I stay at and would kick myself for not having.

Reason for cost? High power equipment and it needs to be smart for the control conversion.

• Like x 4
  4. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

Be happy you can get one, us Model 3 folk don't even have an adapter to buy for any price.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

why wouldn't the Tesla adapter work with the model 3?
    EDIT: never mind. needs software update to work.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#6 cwerdna, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    It was originally going to be $1000 so I was pleasantly surprised it's only $450.

Tesla Model S CHAdeMO Adapter Now Only $450 - Was $1,000
    Tesla To Offer Model S CHAdeMO Adapter For $1,000-$2,900 - HybridCars.com

CHAdeMO connectors aren't cheap, unfortunately. If you skip to 5:30 of , back a few years ago, to try to get the male end of a CHAdeMO connector (handle and all), was $2200 each, in quantities of 100.

I doubt anyone outside of Tesla could produce a safe alternative to Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter and sell it for $450, let alone less.

Why do you care about having a CHAdeMO adapter? From looking at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You, it doesn't look like there's a huge amount of CHAdeMO in your state.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

I just like to point out that I have used mine several times. Superchargers aren't always were you want them. I have 2 free Chademo nearby - significantly closer than a supercharger. I have used them several times for silly things like forgetting to plug in etc. They aren't reliable enough to really count on them but they are a plan B. There is one about 10 min from my in laws where the Supercharger is more like 30 min. So it was easier. I never needed to install a 240V at their house (160 miles from home and we take 1 night trips there).

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

High power electric isn't cheap if you want it done properly. Which you do if you don't want to die or have your car destroyed by fire.

• Like x 1
  9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I have one also. Figured it was cheap insurance to fill out my bag of charging extensions and adapters. Better to have it and not need it..... :D

Seriously, if you never go far from home and/or Superchargers, then, don’t even think about it.

10. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I keep one in my trunk. I have used it twice but it was handy when I needed it.

11. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

We used to use ours regularly with our S85D on a 230 mile mountainous road trip with no supercharger option available. Our S100D can make the trip with 12-15% battery left so no need to stop now. Now I just keep it in my trunk / hatch just so I know where it is :confused::cool:

12. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

I bought my CHAdeMO adapter when I knew I was going to places which weren't (at the time) covered by the Supercharger network. I don't need it for that purpose anymore, but I still carry it on trips to give me charging alternatives.

Bruce.

13. KArnold

KArnold Member

Got a new one on E-Bay for just over $200. It's a Chinese replica, but for the price I'll take that risk. It doesn't look like it should be a terribly difficult piece to replicate.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  14. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

My Tesla branded CHADeMO adapter firmware has been updated 3-4 times since I purchased it in May 2015. Doubt they’ll touch your Chinese replIca one if firmware changes to the BMS require a CHADeMO firmware update. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like x 2
  15. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

It's not just a USB cord for charging a phone.

• Like x 1
  16. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

My CHAdeMO adapter has never been updated, despite my asking. Service tells me there are no firmware updates for the CHAdeMO adapter. I've had mine for several years now.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

I'd be careful, as the CHAdeMO adapter has to perform some software emulation and communication between the vehicle and charger. I'm pretty sure use of this counterfeit Tesla adapter, were it to damage your vehicle's battery or degrade its range, will not be covered under Tesla's warranty and would probably invalidate your battery warranty entirely. Make sure before you use it.

• Like x 1
  18. ryanakata

ryanakata Member

I'd actually be interested in seeing a tear down of one of those. I doubt anyone has the money that they would be willing to use for the sake of tearing one apart but if yours ends up not working or having issues, I'd throw a couple of dollars your way for a tear down.

19. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

#19 boonedocks, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    QUOTE="AmpedRealtor, post: 2774181, member: 14721"]My CHAdeMO adapter has never been updated, despite my asking. Service tells me there are no firmware updates for the CHAdeMO adapter. I've had mine for several years now.[/QUOTE]

Definitely not true (to you from the service center). Mine has been updated several times over the years at the Decatur GA Service Center

Attached is one example:

98F9769E-34A8-4F65-A538-C813BB89FF29.jpeg [

• Informative x 1
  20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Interesting. Mine is about 4 years old and I've never had it updated. I always remove all my belongings from the car when I take it in for service. It still works fine. I wonder if I should take it in and have it checked???