Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CHAdeMO adapter is a good buy when you frequently drive in areas that are not properly served by Superchargers. If everywhere you go has good supercharger coverage, it's a security but not a necessity.
If you just drive outside of the covered area once or twice, you might be able to rent the adapter. Local clubs around here have plenty of adapters to rent for a few bucks per day. Maybe there are plenty because we live in an area that is not yet covered with superchargers well enough :)
It has a theoretical maximum of 50kW on a model 3, and typical will be ~43kW. Way slower than a supercharger. I believe S and X can get a bit faster than that, but still not SuC speeds.

It has a theoretical maximum of 50kW on a model 3, and typical will be ~43kW. Way slower than a supercharger. I believe S and X can get a bit faster than that, but still not SuC speeds.
The S and X don't really get any faster than that. It's still about 45 kW as the best charging power through the adapter. But I also don't quite consider it "way slower". I think of it as about half as fast as Superchargers. Because really 90 kW is pretty decent Supercharger speed if you think of the average through a charging session, rather than just the number you see at the start. My 2014 S85 could only get about 114 kW at the absolute fastest from a Supercharger ever, and that's only at the bottom state of charge for the first few minutes. So 90 kW is really what I get from Superchargers on average through most of the charging session. CHAdeMO isn't bad compared to that, and I have used it a lot on some trips. I was in Oregon, going up and down the coast highway using CHAdeMO stations before it had any Supercharger coverage.

I bought the CHAdeMO adapter for peace of mind. We drive up to Breckenridge to ski fairly often. There is no Supercharger between here and there, but there is a CHAdeMO charger. To use the supercharger I would have to drive out of my way like 40 minutes (round trip). I haven't needed to use the CHAdeMO adapter yet because my MS can get me there and back without a charge if I don't drive around too much, and because there are Level 2 chargers in Breckenridge that I can use.

But, even though I haven't used it (other than to test it), it has made me braver with respect to not bothering to charge in town. I know that I have the option to get a relatively fast charge on the way home if I need it, so I don't stress about topping off the battery as much as I used to.

I consider it money well spent.

I picked one up for convenience and use it frequently now on Greenlots and Chargepoint stations without issue. Worst case, I found chademo to be the same price as Superchargers during peak rates. Best case, there are some free stations or stations that charge 2/3 of superchargers. I typically get 40KW charge speed initially and it increases to 49 KW. Chargepoint's DC chargers are 62.5 KW to support 50KW charge rates. Superchargers are more time efficient, but can have wait lines or require driving across town (Los Angeles) in grid-locked traffic...this is when I defer to nearby chademo stations.

If you just drive outside of the covered area once or twice, you might be able to rent the adapter. Local clubs around here have plenty of adapters to rent for a few bucks per day. Maybe there are plenty because we live in an area that is not yet covered with superchargers well enough :)
I'd recommend looking at this as well. There are a few in my area that rent theirs out for $35/week and I'd consider at least trying it out before spending $400 on it. And not to mention, I don't think most people would use it often enough to spend $400 on, TBH.

I need to buy one cause I'll be moving up to Washington in an area without any Tesla Superchargers. I'm between duty stations at the moment and staying at this hotel doesn't help my situation. I was hoping to find someone selling theres cause $400 is steep for once in a while charging.

FWIW, I noticed over the weekend that a lot of EVgo chargers now have Chademo+Tesla adapters at least here in California and Washington. Their website indicates 800+ stations are equipped and more tesla adapters are being rolled out to their chargers this year. Looks to be west coast rollout first. Pricing is similar with superchargers in Los Angeles...depending on the charging current.

FWIW, I noticed over the weekend that a lot of EVgo chargers now have Chademo+Tesla adapters at least here in California and Washington. Their website indicates 800+ stations are equipped and more tesla adapters are being rolled out to their chargers this year. Looks to be west coast rollout first. Pricing is similar with superchargers in Los Angeles...depending on the charging current.
I've been up to Washington State about 3 weeks ago to be exact and they don't have the support for EV's like California does. I made the decision to just order the Chademo adapter now so I can use it and get familiar with it. Tesla will roll out more support in the future but unfortunately for me I can't wait till then. As far as EVgo, I didn't physically see much of them over there in the area I will be stationed in. There's Blink which I've already signed up for.