Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter Button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to sanity check something... Does the button on the CHAdeMO adapter only unlock the charge port? I've only used mine a few times, but the button will never open the charge port on my car. I've tried with it both plugged into the CHAdeMO station, and also just on its own, but neither scenario seems to allow it to open up the charge port.

Is this the intended behavior? I did notice that in the adapter manual, it doesn't mention using the button as one of the methods for opening the charge port.

I've had it working, but I'm not exactly sure of the sequence I used.
It might have been that I swiped the card on the chademo station first, so it was delivering power to the adapter, then I pressed the button.

I doubt the adapter itself has an internal battery, so I can't see it working without at least being connected to the chademo station. However, I don't know at what stage the station will provide some sort of pilot power to the connector.

Reactions: jimmyz80
What button? Is there a button on newer CHAdeMo adaptors?

Where is it?

As the probable person with the most experience with using CHAdeMo on the forums, I can tell you there is no power delivered to the version of the adapter that I have until it is plugged in to both the car and the CHAdeMo connector. Power delivered seems to stay after the signaling pins get confirmation that it is connected to a compatible vehicle.

Reactions: jimmyz80
What button? Is there a button on newer CHAdeMo adaptors?

Where is it?

As the probable person with the most experience with using CHAdeMo on the forums, I can tell you there is no power delivered to the version of the adapter that I have until it is plugged in to both the car and the CHAdeMo connector. Power delivered seems to stay after the signaling pins get confirmation that it is connected to a compatible vehicle.

Same place as the button on HPWC, UMC, SC, etc. Check out Step 1 under Unplugging on Page 3.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/chademo-adapter-manual-in-english.pdf

I suspected it was something along the lines of what you're describing.

For some weird reason, I thought we were talking about a button on the CHADeMo side of the unit, not the Tesla side. I have no idea why I thought that.

Yeah, as far as I know, that button only operates when power is supplied to the mains, so it would only serve to unlock the port, not pop the door, unfortunately.