Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO Adapter (coming this winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my thought as well. I'd buy one and then rent it out to others in the area for $50 a week. Unlikely to make me money, but should at least offset some of the cost. And the only one with an upfront investment is me (so no need to create a little club with bylaws and rules and reasons for things to go south...)

Excellent idea. We are already well organized in the Seattle region. I am sure that would be an option internally.
I wish the local Tesla store would do the $50 per week (or $8 per day) rental program if we know we are going on a trip. That seems like an obvious thing Tesla should do.

I really hope that it's not derated to 25kW. At least for European and Asian version. Without Supercharger commitment in Japan, and if limited to 25kW charging, only very small number of people will buy Model S.

In Japan major highways (much narrower than those in the U.S. though :) have built out already. I don't want to wait and/or have someone wait for more than three hours for a full charge!

That's a good idea, if there's some way to secure it and assure its availability.
A lockbox like used for some of the Roadster-to-Model S adapters can probably work, although the location would have to be attended.

Otherwise if there's a hole where a chain or security cable can be attached, that would work too and doesn't need to be attended.

Or an even better solution is for the local stores (and/or service centers) to "rent" out the CHAdeMO adapters. Most people will only need them when going on a long trips not covered by the SuperCharger network. If one could just reserve one for your trip then return it when you got back that would be a great solution.

I'm buying one as soon as it is available! This is simply another option to the "charging arsenal" and a really good one for Pathway Charging. While CHAdeMO L3 is not Tesla Supercharger strength it is probably good for 90 - 100 miles per hour of charge. (480VDC XXA, maximum is 100A) Most haL2 provide about 40 - 50 miles of range per hour of charge so even mid-range L3 is pretty good while traveling.

Specs of the adapter say it's currently limited to 70mph. At the full 50kW, most CHAdeMO chargers should be able to do 140-150mph.

Read it again... The specs don't say it's limited to 70 mph. Just says "charge at approximately 70 mph".

That sounds like expectation-setting verbiage to me.

Will be good to see some real world tests -- especially on any CHAdeMOs that are known to allow the full 50kW...

Read it again... The specs don't say it's limited to 70 mph. Just says "charge at approximately 70 mph".

That sounds like expectation-setting verbiage to me.

Will be good to see some real world tests -- especially on any CHAdeMOs that are known to allow the full 50kW...
Maybe, but 70mph suspiciously corresponds to 25kW which is what the Fuji CHadeMO stations are specified to. And it also does not correspond to the way Tesla rates their other adapters (where 10kW AC is rated at 29mph).
http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/outlet

I really hope one or more local owners buy one and rent it out. If not, I might have to find a few others willing to split the cost and share. Even split just 3 ways only makes this cost $333 and the chances of the other two needing it the same weekend as I do is pretty slim.

As for the charging rate, maybe they limited it to just 25kW to keep the costs down. Looking at the Tesla plug, it looks a lot like a normal HPWC plug and not what you find at a Supercharger. So by having it just support 25kW, they could use an existing high volume Tesla plug and a cheaper CHAdeMO outlet. Just a thought and I hope I'm wrong as 50kW would be better! Either way, we are about to make a whole lot of Leaf owners pissed off by starting to hog the CHAdeMO stations for hours at a time when they just want their quick 20 minute charge. LOL

There's a ring of CHAdeMO Blink chargers at Cracker Barrels around Tennessee. This would make road-tripping through the state a hell of a lot easier (hi, Gatlinburg, Chattanooga, Knoxville). Might have to pick me up one of these, especially since we're not slated to get any Supercharger love for a couple of years. Wonder what rate the Blink chargers charge at, though. Anyone know?

I really hope one or more local owners buy one and rent it out. If not, I might have to find a few others willing to split the cost and share. Even split just 3 ways only makes this cost $333 and the chances of the other two needing it the same weekend as I do is pretty slim.

As for the charging rate, maybe they limited it to just 25kW to keep the costs down. Looking at the Tesla plug, it looks a lot like a normal HPWC plug and not what you find at a Supercharger. So by having it just support 25kW, they could use an existing high volume Tesla plug and a cheaper CHAdeMO outlet. Just a thought and I hope I'm wrong as 50kW would be better! Either way, we are about to make a whole lot of Leaf owners pissed off by starting to hog the CHAdeMO stations for hours at a time when they just want their quick 20 minute charge. LOL

Chris, I'm considering buying one and renting it out... Or we could do that together :)